Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again my buddies and I have had another meaningful sqwak box session. I have always said manufactures with the sticks and leaves designs may hide you very well but from whom? The game or fellow hunters? It's as if we judge the camo on how well we can hide from each other instead of the game. Although we have rods and cones like deer etc our rods and cones see a different spectrum of color and shades, so the experts say. What ever the case may be I do agree that when I used to wear mossy rock or real stump I just blobed out after about 20+ yards=big dark man silhouette(we did our own tests). Lately I've been just wearing a faded buckskin Carhart coat and some tiger stripe bottoms, since I'm crouched down alot the bottoms didn't really matter. But I found my light colored coat blended in well using natural shading and lighting to it's fullest. And this is an area that has alot of green, WA state. So how does a deer or related blend in so well with a lighter colored coat. We've been trying to figure that out for awhile, I think the lighter colors with a hint of dark lines works the best for us or at least in our tests. Light colors actually absorb the dark tones from whatever your standing next to.
Remember we did these test to see how to hide the outline of the human body not hide from each other.
In conclusion, other than wearing my ghillie suit I have found only one other Companies pattern that passed our hide the silhouette test, and that company was ASAT. I'm not a sales rep nor do I have any affiliation with them heck I've never even met them. Those who know me know that for me to indorse or give a thumbs up on any gear must have done something right to get my attention. Mind you these our mine and my partners opnions and are not ment to defame anyones choices or products.
That's why this is a forum!:D
Good hunting
Out for now

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I’ve killed more game while wearing khaki shirts and faded jeans than with any of the camouflage I wear now…

Why do I wear it? Wife and kids keep buying it for me….

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Light brown or beige clothing.

Yea, thats what I want to do, walk around the woods during hunting season wearing cloths the same color as a deer! :rolleyes: Why not put antlers on your hat and tuck a white rag in your back pocket while your at it?:D

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i know a guy that used a target bow black in color and used camo tape to cover up the limb pockets which were silver. he has killed several over the years as for camo for people iin the early season i use shorts and tshirt but use one of the leafy camo outer shells and it keeps you cool and covers your white legs and arms if you have white legs and arms
rob k

·
Registered
392 Posts
I totally agree.
I wear ASAT and wont wear anything else.
Not only have I hunted here in Nth America but also in Australia New Zealand and Africa and ASAT is the only camo that makes me dissapear in what ever terrain I am in and no matter what the season is.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting

Well topcat I guess when you have to hunt in areas where you see other hunters I guess this could be a concern. But I don't have that problem where I hunt (don't see anyone all day), I'm one of the lucky ones, I mean the only other hunters I run into are back at camp. Also if you can't distinguish between a human and a deer I'm outa there!
I don't know what be worse have a hunter say whoa a two legged deer or blending in so well you get shot by some
duflatches arrow because they didn't see you in the background.

RobK, I looked at some leafy wear the other day man that stuff defintely hides the human out line...wow!

Not bashing anyone just having fun!:D
I mean, isn't posting for bringing out the pros and cons of an issue?:)
Have fun
Out for now

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
ex-diver did you try natgear in your test...i would like to know how it fared! my son uses it and swears by it. I have been using mossy oak but I am not happy with it because as you say in the distance its a dark blob.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I swear by NatGear.....This stuff is great....I quit useing RealTree and MossyOak 4 years ago and never been happier with NatGear...Doesnt blob out like the popular brands.....ASAT and Predator would also make great chioces.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah kildog I'd like to know how Natural Gear fared myself.I've been thinking about trying it.I'm going to have to buy new camo this year so it would be a good time for me to change.I'd also like to know how Snakeskin Illuusions fared it their test too.I've never used either one but have been considering them and superflage

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kildog

Just found a dealer around here that stocks NatGear. But I'm gonna have to wait to test though. I'm sinking more duckets into the "The Hunting JEEP" trying to get her back on the road before the season begins, and that's SOON! I did get a NatGear catalog though, looks very interesting very subtle tones. Man I can't believe after all these years I'm even taking a real interest in this topic, hell to get older. I don't think it's the camo that has my interest as much as I wonder what and how the heck the game sees us or other predators!
LX_Shooter I'm glad it's working out for you.
I hope they start making other gear in these patterns as well.
Have fun
Out for now

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, I've had turkeys walk up SO close I could grab 'em by the neck - while wearing advantage - that's good enough for me... If you can fool a turkey's eyes, and a deer's nose - you've pretty much got it down, IMO... I do think that while camo choice can be overrated, good camo can help conceal the movement sometimes necessary to perform the shot undetected while game is in range.... I also think the Realtree 20/200 does a pretty good job of adressing the "blob out" issue...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
KC

That was a very interesting link and confirms what I've said for years. The purpose of camo is to break up your outline and very few of the new high-tech patterns do that IMHO. Most of my hunting is done in a pair of silghtly faded BDU's or 6 color desert BDU's, depending on the terrain and situation. I might give the predator camo try though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
george I think turkeys would be the only thing I would hunt with camo like mossy oak or realtree. Unlike deer, turkeys can see that definition and from alot farther then we can. Other then that it is asat or predator or nat gear just depending on the mood that day.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
ex-diver......The only thing about NatGear is that it doesnt look good hanging in the store.....Like the other bigger brands do....:D

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
IMO, I think the best brands for breaking up your outline are...Predator, and ASAT. Even a flannel shirt breaks it up pretty well. I think the reason a deer blends in so well is the dark line that they have down the center of their back. My favorite is Predator Fall pattern. Just look how it breaks up your form. And..No, I'm not affiliated with them either.:D JP

Attachments

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
What about the orange vest and hat we are required to where? I know deer and most animals don't see orange, but it is one solid piece of color! Does the camo show through? J/K!
I have had good luck with faded Mossy Oak camo and the Sneaky Leaf system! It seems to break me up good!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nothing but a $10 set of BDU's for me.

If I were to actually spend money on something it would probably be that Predator stuff. I am pretty impressed with it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Birds of a feather....

I just picked up some ASAT at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo this past year. My first test was to stalk up on 6 does in an open field wearing their camo.... becuase they said they had done it and harvested a doe at 20 yds. Well, I stayed down wind and started stalking...... and I could have shot a doe at 20 yds as well. They stopped to look at me but couldn't figure it out..... keep in mind this was in March so they still should have been spooky from hunting pressure. I was impressed!

I've gone to Cabela's store in Dundee and from the second floor, as you look out over the camo section, it is solid black with the exception of Predator.

My choice.... faded Nat Gear, Predator Fall, or ASAT (not in that order). I've had deer pick me out of a tree many times using Real Tree Advantange Timber, etc.... All that stuff is too dark and too detailed and they look right up at you thinking "Dang, I've never seen that big blob in that tree before... what's up with that!?" Hunt over!!!

The pic above clearly identifies why the "ASAT/Predator" lines are the best choice for camo, in my opinion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Been useing leafy wear and i do kill most of my deer from the ground.Just what ever you wear use the suroundings to break it up.. Its simple as that..Killed a few in plain cloths too..

1 - 20 of 70 Posts