Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else feel the same way... we all know that MOST bows will not touch the advertised IBO speed. but we still continue to buy them anyway. I think we have all been around enough to know that IBO is an advertising ploy and we fall for it hook line and sinker... thoughts???

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Most of us know that IBO speeds advertised are jst like the theoretical muzzle velocities from ammunition companies. They only exist in some marketing guy's mind. Birth certificate speeds are another matter. When to tag says that this bow shot X speed before it was shipped then we should be unhappy if we can't duplicate the speed with the same set-up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Alot of people buy a bow and expect itto hit the IBO of 350 but uh oh they fail to realize you need a 30 D/L to come anywhere near this... As was stated already if the BC says 336 or whatever and I get 334-335 one should be happy in theory??? I know I was, but hey we are Americans we have nothing better to do but bad mouth porducts when they don't live up to there hype when in the end we are the ones that hyped it up! As far as speed thing I think Majority of bow hunters don't fall for it because Matthews and Hoyt are still leading the way and we all know there bows are far from speed demons... The only reason I like speed is for 3D shoots yes I'm not the greatest at judging distance if I was the avg hunter and never worried about 3D shoots I would probably have a Matthews or a Hoyt...

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alot of people buy a bow and expect itto hit the IBO of 350 but uh oh they fail to realize you need a 30 D/L to come anywhere near this... As was stated already if the BC says 336 or whatever and I get 334-335 one should be happy in theory??? I know I was, but hey we are Americans we have nothing better to do but bad mouth porducts when they don't live up to there hype when in the end we are the ones that hyped it up! As far as speed thing I think Majority of bow hunters don't fall for it because Matthews and Hoyt are still leading the way and we all know there bows are far from speed demons... The only reason I like speed is for 3D shoots yes I'm not the greatest at judging distance if I was the avg hunter and never worried about 3D shoots I would probably have a Matthews or a Hoyt...
wait did you yes you did you said something nice about mathews.... write that down!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
IBO speeds

I have only had one bow that I has never got to IBO. Unless you have a 30" draw length and a well tuned bow you will never get the advertised speed.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Katera and IBO speed

My 60# 29'' draw Katera XL shot a 315 gr. arrow @ 301 fps with a peep on the string.
Now, lets make a few adjustments / estimations:
-Increase the draw by 1'' should add 9-10 fps
-Drop 15 gr. of arrow weight another 4-5 fps at the extreme end of the range
-Remove peep from string should be 2 fps
Based on my estimate, my 60# bow could hit 318 fps; It's IBO is 320 which is based on a 70# bow, that's pretty close. :)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
does anyone else feel the same way... we all know that MOST bows will not touch the advertised IBO speed. but we still continue to buy them anyway. I think we have all been around enough to know that IBO is an advertising ploy and we fall for it hook line and sinker... thoughts???

I don't. I don't even care what the IBO is because I don't consider speed to be a factor in my bow choice. Speed has never helped nor ever been in the solution to any shooting problem I might have had over the years.

so speak for your self and next time ya look in the mirror that great big S on your forehead doesn't stand for speed. :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I'm not trying to be a fanboy here but I will speak from personal experience. First, who cares. Shoot what feels best....but....I had a Mathews SBXT with an IBO of 315 or so. I never even got close to the 290 I would have seemed as reasonable with 28" 70# 350gr with peep/loop.

And then I got my Hoyt Vulcan. I swear that Hoyt is the only company to under estimate their IBO, or I just end up with super tuned Hoyts in my hands. The best I would expect out of my 28" 70# 350gr peep/loop on the 325IBO bow is 300. I get that with a 372gr arrow and I get 308 with my 350gr arrow. Well above IBO.

I then shot a 350gr arrow out of a 29" 70# Katera the other day. This was nock only w/o peep and loop but I still got 326fps on the 330IBO rating. Wow! And these arrows all had fletchings on them.

It's not that big of deal to me, but when you advertise something and give people certain expectations you are setting yourself up for certain failure. I just don't get it but then I don't believe anything a politician says either:wink:

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
I'm tired of it too. Just make a bow that does the IBO and we don't have to hear it anymore. Or, just realize you loose speed with everything you put on the string and with any draw length under 30 incher and arrow heavier than 350 grains.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Ttt...................
If Ya Hit Where Ya Aim........what The He*&^ Is Wrong With The Bow...........?
If It Kills For Meat,what Is Wrong With The Bow...............?
Or Is It Dum A** Error.. Most Real Men Are Honest And Can Figure It Out.....................OR CAN THEY BE HUMBLE ENOUGH TO ADMITT................fU*&$% UP .............

·
--------------
1,824 Posts
If they advertise it so it should be, also those threads are pretty easy to tell what they are about and are easy to not read.

I'm not worried about speed very much but if a bow isn't even in the ballpark for the speed advertised (adjusted for arrow weight, draw length , etc) it's just one more little mark that says why buy that companies products, there are so many good ones out that it's easy to get a good bow and not get hung up on one manufacturer.

PS....The advertised DL being way off is far bigger issue for me. I hate it when it isn't right (fairly close anyways) and it's nice to know about the big offenders.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,701 Posts
tired of the my bow doesn't make IBO post

we all know that MOST bows will not touch the advertised IBO speed. IBO is an advertising ploy and we fall for it hook line and sinker... thoughts???
A few years back and I would have agreed, but today, no. If you're one that can't get expected velocity, then work with the company. I know of a few bows that couldn't come close to the given IBO and the companies (2) took care of the problem. Bowtech, a 3rd company, will make their bows do the claimed IBO. In most cases, improper set specs cause loss of velocity - long ata will not give proper preload of the limbs. Weak limbs, too heavy a string or too many strands, bad bearings or axles and even bad limb pockets will cause loss of velocity. Already put forth, anything put on the string and location of that weight can seriously cut down velocity. Again, work with the company.

I once had a bow that had problems even the factory had problems finding. Once found I ended up with a free upgrade and a few trinkets thrown in.....

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The truth is that most bows are out of whack when you pick them up, shiny and new, from your dealer. TRUE!! They go out of time just sitting there with new harnessing on them that is creeping all the while. Of course you won't get optimum performance from them in that condition. Take the time to get the cam timing right and properly tune the bow, not to mention the inclusion of better quality string and cable(s), and most bows will meet your expectations....as long as they're realistic anyway. Hoyts will probably exceed the expectations by a little.:wink:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't. I don't even care what the IBO is because I don't consider speed to be a factor in my bow choice. Speed has never helped nor ever been in the solution to any shooting problem I might have had over the years.

so speak for your self and next time ya look in the mirror that great big S on your forehead doesn't stand for speed. :)
Lets see the "S" stands for Smart, Sensitive, Sleek, Super, Am I getting close... Anyhow your whole post made no sense what so ever.... Especially the last part.... All he asked were folks getting tired of post about people complaining there bows were not getting there IBO and you come on here with this rant...

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that MOST bows will meet IBO if you have 30" draw and bla bla bla... BUT some people out there are upset that their 350 bow is only shooting 310 with thier 26" draw... To me personally, speed isnt everything. Its what Im comfortable with... hence parting with the XFORCE!

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lets see the "S" stands for Smart, Sensitive, Sleek, Super, Am I getting close... Anyhow your whole post made no sense what so ever.... Especially the last part.... All he asked were folks getting tired of post about people complaining there bows were not getting there IBO and you come on here with this rant...
I got 3 S's on my forehead.... SINGLE SUPER SEXY!!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Maybe ol' Bees is tired of the *****ing about speed.:noidea: Instead of 10 threads on the front page of "How to make my bow more forgiving", "How to get the BEST arrow flight" or "How can I learn to shoot better shots?" we see thread after thread and post after post of "How to make my bow faster" or "Will [so and so] ever make a speed bow?".......get the point?:noidea:

The speed threads and posts are MUCH less important than the tuning and shooting threads. MUCH less. At least they are to archers who want to improve their shootin and scores and not just shoot faster.:wink:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
whatever I had a different word in mind.:)

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Maybe ol' Bees is tired of the *****ing about speed.:noidea: Instead of 10 threads on the front page of "How to make my bow more forgiving", "How to get the BEST arrow flight" or "How can I learn to shoot better shots?" we see thread after thread and post after post of "How to make my bow faster" or "Will [so and so] ever make a speed bow?".......get the point?:noidea:

The speed threads and posts are MUCH less important than the tuning and shooting threads. MUCH less. At least they are to archers who want to improve their shootin and scores and not just shoot faster.:wink:

I'm tired of speed posts in general. good god lately it seems like every one out there is looking for speed, like it's going to help with their shooting.

Someday maybe the majority will figure out what is important to make the nickle size hole in the target when your done. on second thought it ain't going to happen the majority will remain clueless.. :eek:

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm tired of speed posts in general. good god lately it seems like every one out there is looking for speed, like it's going to help with their shooting.

Someday maybe the majority will figure out what is important to make the nickle size hole in the target when your done. on second thought it ain't going to happen the majority will remain clueless.. :eek:
if you would have read the whole original post thats pretty much what was said... the title of the thread is...tired of the my bow doesnt make IBO post... not sure who pee'd in your kelloggs today..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts