Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new hunting bow and am in the process of building my setup, except I'm a little aprehensive about switching to a dropaway TKO. I've never used a dropaway, just a TM Hunter. This is my setup so far. Let me know what you think about the decision on upgrading to a TKO dropaway.

Darton Avalanche
Copper John Deadnuts (black-3 pin)
Tru-Peep Super Peep
Golden Key TKO Dropaway or TM Hunter???
Doinker - 4"
String Loop
Limb Savers
Cat Whiskers
Goldtip 5575 XT's
G5 Montec 100 grain Broadheads
Quikee Quiver - Detachable

Just need some advice on the rest and the total setup.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would reccomend it! Bullet Proof and easy to set up! And a heck of a lot cheaper in price than other rests! Drop aways will allow you to shoot almost any fletching you want without clearance problems and to me they have been more forgiving. IMHO Matt

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! TKO! And......if you decide not to shoot dropaway, you can shoot it like any TM hunter as well!

·
Registered
242 Posts
TKO sets up easy for right or left shooters. Like Grant said you can use as TM hunter style too. I have been pushin Turbo nocks through (over) mine and no contact. Very accurate. If you like the TM you will love the TKO. Instructions are in package but if you have any questions just holler. One thing was mentioned to me was before you tie the cord on give it a particial twist enough to put it outside the string when not drawn. The cord attaches to the down cable.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
BowCritic,
If you don't have enough decisions to make, I'll throw you another curve! ;) :) :D Have you looked at the GKF Mirage?
That was my choice for on my Hunting bow! :) It has a great arrow scoop, it's a dropaway and it works great with Turbo Nocks! :)

Good Luck on getting the perfect rest for your bow! :)

Dick

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes Fred Troncoso ,Roberts Dad Founded GKF...

He did it in the 60s,

Yes the TM Hunter is still a good simple rest but if you want a solid lightweight Dropaway that will give you total clearance go with the TKO Dropaway.

GKF Tech:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
You've got a great setup going there. The TKO will top it off perfectly. Like the other have said: tough, simple, smooth, awesome price, etc, etc, etc. I had doubts about changing to a dropaway from my TM Hunter. After bolting it on, and a couple minor adjustments I was hooked. I haven't put thousands of arrows through it yet, so it isn't technically "tried and true," but I've put hundreds through it for sure. No problems at all. Nothing but praise for it so far.

It'll be a good investment. Go for it.

peashooter

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
bow critic

I also would recommend the TKO for the simple reason yyou find you dont like a fallaway you will not have to reinvest in buying another rest bacause the TKO can also pe quickly converted as a stationary shoot thru rest also.
I have tried the rest both ways and it really works good and cradles the arrow so it dont fall off easily.

GPR also mentioned the miriage which is also an excellent fallaway especially for single cam bows!

you wont go wrong with either setup.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes...PM question on speed of drop and spring adjustment.

the T.K.O. Dropaway has a variable spring setting and
also a launcher height adjustment that is not found on the competition.
This lets you adjust the speed of the drop real easy.

GKF tech

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are looking for a drop away rest, you might take a hard look at the Trophy Taker line-up as well. The TT is the toughest, most simple rest I have personally ever dealt with. It is so, so, so simple to set-up, tune and shoot that it is almost to good to be true. It is worth a look!!

Trey

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I haven't tried many drop aways, but I am impressed with the TKO. My favorate feature is the versatality of the rest. Set it up as you like.... Drop away, Spring tension rest, or as a target rest with a launcher blade like the Premo launcher. I've not seen any other rest that has these features.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
TRex

why would I want to spend more money for less rest?
the TT is a good rest and is easy to set up like you say but it does not have nearly as many features as the TKO
plus it is about 25 dollars more expensive.:confused:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Addict,
What features are you talking about? I don't care if the TKO can be set up to shoot like a regular shoot-thru rest. I personally don't care for that type of rest either. Why buy a drop away to change it to a fixed position rest? I haven't shot the TKO, so this is based upon assumption. I just think from looking at the two rest side by side that the TT is the better built rest. Take in to consideration that I shoot the TT, and I have never seen a rest that is so easy to set up. We have sold more TT in the past month than any other rest. That includes all styles of rest. It is just too GOOD!!!! As far as price is concerned, the TKO is a great value. They had to do something to try to compete with TT. The only way IMO was to lower the price.

Thanks,
Trey

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Opinions vary:p

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
RE:What Features are you talking about ?

These Features

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Like you said opinions will vary!!

The only feature that I like is the rh/lh idea. That helps keep inventory down. With that being said, how many shooters are left handed compared to right. We keep 12 rh TT to 2 lh, so we would have to keep two less items. The independent launchers is just another something to go wrong IMO. We can agree to disagree, but I know what sells best in our shop!!!

Trey

·
Registered
155 Posts
TKO

I would highly reccomend the TKO. I have used it as a fall away and with a spring steel launcher. It is simple, easy to tune and has performed flawlessly in both situations.
Mike

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Trophy Taker may be a few dollars more, but what is a few dollars for this addiction we all have. Plus what do we normally have when we spend a few extra dollars? You guessed it Quality!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
RE: You guessed it Quality!!!!!!!

No body is disputing TT isnt a Quality rest... thing Is GKF is as good quality plus a few extra features you cant get with a TT!!!!!

Not to mention the TKO is 20 dollars less!!!!!!

I have been using the rest now for 6 months and I shoot a lot, so far I have had absolutley no problems whatsoever with the rest.

Get a TKO and Dont look back.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts