Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I've never had a dropaway rest so I'm not sure about the relevance of my question.

I just bought a TKO rest and have not installed it on my bow yet. While checking it out, I noticed that when I pull the prongs up and let it drop it makes a "tick" when it falls. I realize metal striking metal will make a sound.
Its not really loud but its something I can definately hear...is it supposed to do that???

Will it be loud when I shoot???

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
BowCritic,
I own a TKO and when I got it, the very first thing that I did was to change from the stretchy cord that is with it to a regular cord. My rest is as quiet as quiet can be.
Make sure that when you set it up that it doesn't come up until the Last 1 inch Before Full Draw. That's where it works the best!

Dick

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
the gpr man said it right
rob k

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes...You can also,

Adjust tha launcher Pitch(height) to regulate how much drop you want.,so if you want to adjust it not to hit the shelf you can .
It also has Teflon Tubes on launchers for the quietest draw.

GKF Tech:p

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have a friend who has one, and after listening to him shoot it the other day at a 3-D shoot we were at, I decided to return the TKO I just bought! For me....it was abit to loud...I shouldnt say loud, but it did make some noise, and I wont put up with a rest making any noise! Plus Im just not sold on dropaways, I dont and never did have clearance problems with arrow flight, and to me its just something that can go wrong on a hunt, in regards to having a string tied to a cable like that.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bloodtrail,
Why didn't you just convert it to a normal launcher style rest then???? That would have been easier than sending the rest back and would have solved ANY noise problems that you thought you had :rolleyes: ....Pro1

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
I agree, returning a rest because of ONE experience or observation may not have been the best way to go; but then again, that is your decision and freedom of chioice.

I've got a TKO, and I've set it so that it won't hit the arrow shelf when it falls. I've also found from much experience with the dropaways that I get MUCH better results if there is some stretch inthe cord or a spring mounted between the cord and the rest to allow no movement of the rest when the cables start to move.

If you use a solid line, there is lots of opportunity for that rest to begin to fall with ANY cable movement, and that can and will result in high and low hits because you are not in the same place every time. Having a "delay" built in allows those cables to move a little bit before the arm starts to fall.

The TKO does have lots more adjustability and more options than most other fallaways, and I especially like to be able to lock it down and use it as a standard rest with the new Premo launcher!

Best thing is the price is right and the rest is solid.

field14:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
My TKO is dead quiet. The only way I see it making noise is if it's set such that it strikes the shelf when it falls. Sounds like a shooter setup issue instead of a design issue. I too, will not tolerate a rest that makes any noise during operation. I think returning the rest based on an outward observation without looking into the cause was a bit on the over-reacting side. Sort of like buying a similar vehicle as your buddie's and his gets a flat so you decide to return yours before it gets one too. I know, that's an extreme example and I don't intend to insult anyone but it illustrates the same reasoning process.

I switched to fall-aways several years ago and set mine up using the elastic cord or spring for the same reason that field14 mentions. I've never experienced a failure during that time of a drop away. Not saying it will never happen, but if you take care of your equipment it will usually take care of you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
TKO Quiet?????

Well ,...I couldn't return my TKO rest for a refund because,....

I WON MINE IN THE TKO Rest GIVEAWAYS AT THE Golden Key Futura website, and Forums !!!

Now as far as NOISE goes, and a have set quite a few different types of these fall-a-ways, inertia type, cord activated, etc.

Field14 makes a valid point as there can slight movement when we don't want it, however close attention to set-up and a closely-scrutinized setup of the cord both in the buss cable and it's positioning up or down that buss cable, will tend to offset any problems here. Case in point---look at how a Bodoodle Pro is supposed to be set-up for optimum performance---when it won't hold the arrow up when the nocked arrow is at brace height, and with just enough tension to allow the weight of the last few inches of the arrow and point to raise up to full rest height,... just before reaching full draw.
ALSO,...PAY ATTENTION TO "GKF tech" as he works at the company and should really know whereof he speaks.

(also,...you can try inserting a small piece of non- metalic material where the rest body hits the little stop pin,...and gluing it to the area...had another GKF rest with a similar problem and solved it the same way!!!)

bowtinkerer :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes as mst have said...

If it hits the shelf it will make a noise
and you can quiet itr with moleskin but you can also adjust the pitch so it will not drop that far..
If you want it to drop past shelf you can add a optional bracket
that will give you a additional inch overdraw effect.
We now have these in stock .

GKF Tech

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
If you want to move the TKO back behind the bow like a mini-overdraw, so that the prongs do not touch the shelf; GKF has designed a new bracket to do that. It will be a 1 inch long extension that will be a quick bolt on. Check with your dealers as it will be out very soon. Cost will be about $10 I believe.

Now how is that for a company listening and acting quickly to keep their customers happy? :)

Dick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts