Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a trip with a group of 5 guys to hunt hogs in Tenneessee soon. I'm looking for some outfitter feedback on Wilderness Hunting Lodge and Bridgecreek Trophy Hunts. Both places are "no kill, no pay" and are $725 for lodging, meals and harvest. I did read where BTH offered discounts for groups of 5 or more, but have yet to call and see exactly the pricing (I will after the holiday). None of us have been on a hog hunt before so any and all advice will be helpful - what to expect, what to pack, arrow weight, broad head, etc. Also feel free to suggest other outfitters.

Thanks.

http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com

http://www.bridgecreektrophyhunts.com

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Loshbough Hunting. Can't even begin to tell you how wonderful these guys are. My uncle and grandfather have gone every year for the past ten years and last year was my first time. Definitely going back next year.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wilderness is about 15 mins from my house. Not sure exactly what your lookin for out of a hunt but what they do there ain't my cup of tea. Of course they are no kill no pay. No way to not kill. U can pretty much see every animal they have from the lodge.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flip, do you care to elaborate? I don't want to consume too much of your time but any detail would be greatly appreciated. I am going into this extremely blind. I've never been on an outfitted hunt in general, nor have I ever hunted hogs.

Dane, thank you. I'll check that place out.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It's just a smaller high fence deal. Never hunted there but drive by it weekly. Not much room for anything to hide there. Lodge is up on a big hill overlooking all the high fence. Several hundred acres of pasture and a lake down below. Might be wrong and y'all might love it but just don't see much of a way for them to make it feel like a real hunt at this particular place. But they may not be what your after anyway

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just a smaller high fence deal. Never hunted there but drive by it weekly. Not much room for anything to hide there. Lodge is up on a big hill overlooking all the high fence. Several hundred acres of pasture and a lake down below. Might be wrong and y'all might love it but just don't see much of a way for them to make it feel like a real hunt at this particular place. But they may not be what your after anyway
Thanks for the information. I'm trying to collect as much as I possibly can before we send in our deposits. Just to clarify, we want this to be as fair chase as possible. I know I'm personally not looking for a "fish in a barrel" hunt. After looking at the web pages of a few outfitters, I quickly realized that most were probably high fenced operations (with all of the exotic game offered). I suppose it's all in the layout of the land. If it's several hundred to thousands of acres and there isn't any dividing fences (pens) then I'd probably never be able to tell the difference from whitetail hunting IL and IN.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We hunted wilderness several years ago and had a ball. Those who say you can see all the animals from camp have not spent a day on the mountain. We all killed out but had to work for it because we chose to. You can make what you want of it. We spent our days on the side of the mountain spotting and stocking with bows and had a blast. I would not shoot anything else behind a high fence but would not hesitate to go back to wilderness and shoot another hog.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We hunted wilderness several years ago and had a ball. Those who say you can see all the animals from camp have not spent a day on the mountain. We all killed out but had to work for it because we chose to. You can make what you want of it. We spent our days on the side of the mountain spotting and stocking with bows and had a blast. I would not shoot anything else behind a high fence but would not hesitate to go back to wilderness and shoot another hog.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I hope you Kill a Giant!! Are these fenced Hogs? There is NO Hog season in Tn for the Public. But private land owners are given so many permits that they in turn sell to Hunters. Personally this is so messed up. Tennessee powers that be shut down publuc Hog season a cpl years ago. They believe its the best way to control Hogs from being transported to Tennessee and released. Idiots for sure!! Its actually a Felony to transport a wild hog to Tennessee. Hopefully they will get their head out of their butts and fix this mess

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That does seen odd by the state. It appears that all of the outfitters that we've looked up run some sort of high fence operation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We did the same as pvbooner a couple years back. we spot and stocked with bows. Definitely not a fish in a barrel hunt. Had to walk and work hard to get into bow range. Now any of the other animals or even hog with rifle would be pretty easy hunt. I would go back . all 3 of us killed one, all were 275 to 300# .

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
That does seen odd by the state. It appears that all of the outfitters that we've looked up run some sort of high fence operation.
From what I understand, Tennessee put the law into affect to stop the spreading of feral hogs. The be able to sell hunts for hogs you are required to have a fenced property, thus helping to prevent the spread of the pigs. Thats why all the hunts are high fenced. I guess the idea is, the more fences, the more pigs not getting onto others properties, even though they do anyways. Atleast that is what I was told from a guide while I was down there.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I stand corrected then. Like I said I've never hunted wilderness. Just live nearby and drive past it often and know what the locals say about it. 2 sides to every story. Appreciate the correction

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Wilderness is a nice place for hogs and lots of big ones enjoy they are good folk and the food is good.Very relaxed hunting two seperat huntingareas miles apart and very large.If you shoot the first 150 -200 pound hog you see there you made a huge misstake shop around and hunt hard there are real big mean hogs there that will lite you up if they see you first.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was not trying to correct anyone just stating what I saw. Like I said don't think I would hunt anything else behind a fence but the hogs were a blast. I think the buffalo and some of the exotics would probably be like shooting cattle but the hogs were a ball.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
A buddy of mine hunted there 2 years ago with a rifle and was finished in 15 minutes of his first day with a 350 lb. boar. Bow hunting would definitely be harder, but with any gun he said that place was just point and shoot. By the way that's nowhere near what we call " mountainous terrain" in east TN, and yes I have seen their operation, but bow hunting would definitely be much more difficult , I would assume.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wilderness is a nice place for hogs and lots of big ones enjoy they are good folk and the food is good.Very relaxed hunting two seperat huntingareas miles apart and very large.If you shoot the first 150 -200 pound hog you see there you made a huge misstake shop around and hunt hard there are real big mean hogs there that will lite you up if they see you first.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just dropped a big hog off at the processor who does the Bridge Creek hogs. Got mine on our lease about 30 miles away. Talked to one of the guides who was bringing in 5 boars. They looked pretty nice, not giants. Guide was real nice. I'm going to drive by the place tomorrow. I'll see if I can take a look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts