Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think entering or exiting the woods prior to or after daylight, without the use of artificial light, seems to be a bit less intrussive to game so I prefer to let the eyes adjust to conditions whenever possible. However, if you do this a couple thousand times, you will inevitably end up with a story or two, as humans got a little shorted from our Creator's factory stock nightvision dept.

I recall an exit one very still and quiet evening, almost pitch dark, scooting under a hemlock tree where a turkey, who must have been uncomfortable with heights, was roosted at about 8 feet. Unknowingly, I walked DIRECTLY under this bird. It absolutely freaked out and attempted a harrier style liftoff right over my head! I seriously thought my number was up, and was about to be killed by some new modern day predator from above! After I got back on my feet and collected, I couldn't quite laughing to myself. As you get a bit older it's not too often you get the living #*&$ scared out of you. If there is an AT among turkeys, I suppose he has posted the same story from his perspective, touting a near death experience!

Another good one was an entry to my stand, again, in the dark. I was booking along at a pretty good pace through a waist high golden rod field, to get to my tree before daylight. Went flawless until I slowed down and hit the woodline. It seems I'd picked up a little cover scent along the way. To be more specific, I smelled like I had been humped by a monster skunk with an attitude! It was so bad I called off the hunt within the hour, tied my clothes in a garbage bag throwing them in the back of the jeep, and drove home wearing a bit less than my drive to.

Sometimes the "getting to and from" is more memorable than what takes place while in the stand...anyone agree?

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
One year, bowhunting elk in Wyoming, we had to walk in 3 miles in the dark to get to where the elk were. At first we did this in a nearly full moon, but toward the end of the hunt, it was a pretty dark walk.

One very dark morning, walking along the now familiar trail with no flashlight, I had a big bear run out of some brush and stop at 15 yards. I had no pistol, so I was freaking out wondering if it was a black bear or a grizzly.

Frantic to find out, I switched on my light and there, at 15 yards, stood a...

:teeth: porcupine!!! :embara:

Funny what the dark does to a guys brain.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I've had lots of thing scare me but nothing is worse than walking into a spider web thats made to catch birds and then feeling him run across your neck !!!

I always use a light in the dark until mid nov. After that our snakes are usually gone but until then I wont risk stepping on a 6 ft rattler just to keep from spooking a deer which I will spook anyway going to the stand.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
LoL good storys. I was walking out one evening and just as i got to the edge of the trees i walked under some roosting turkey buzzards. I don't know who was more scared me or them. Cause they took off flying and i took off running.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I had a similar experience with the turkeys one evening. I had just started down a pretty steep hill when the sky started falling on me. The thing that made it even worse was there were between 15 and 20 of them. Once the first one flew, the rest immediately got out of there too. I thought the end was near.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar experience with the turkeys one evening. I had just started down a pretty steep hill when the sky started falling on me. The thing that made it even worse was there were between 15 and 20 of them. Once the first one flew, the rest immediately got out of there too. I thought the end was near.
Classic.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ive only used a flashlight once, and I got lost. Your eyes adjust and I can normaly see fine. I agree 100% that a flashlight spooks game. My buddy uses a red light and that supposidly dosnt.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Spent lots of time in the field after dark walking around. Best time to scout elk is at night.
One night I walked straight into a thin long branch that had broken off and was dry and hard on the end. It knocked my lens out of my glasses and poked a hole in my nose. I found my glass lens and fixed them as well as I could. The lens had bad scratches and my nose had a large splinter in it that I managed to pull out without much trouble. Had quite a black eye for a while too. I'm sure grateful I wear glasses. Might be a good idea to wear some sort of safety glasses at night if you don't have prescription glasses.
RG

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Durring Muzzleloading season I stayed on stand until the very last bit of light was gone, had just enough to follow the deer trail out of the area as i had gone though alot of thick brush to a small clearing that seemed like a good spot as I began to walk out I turned and discharged the gun into the ground and was completely blinded by the muzzle flash and had to sit for 20 minutes while my eyes recovered:embara:

·
Back down to ground level
16,952 Posts
I had a buck on each side of me one night in an overgrown marsh. One would grunt, then the other, then me. This went on until it was too dark to see. I didn't want to spook them so I planned on staying as late as I had to, until a big bird started dive bombing me(still not sure what it was). I headed out between the two bucks towards a trail. I was 5yds from the trail when I heard the pounding of hooves coming off the hill. All I could see was a shadow pass down the trail in front of me and it slammed into the buck 15yds to my right. I was nervous that night, but my son was my worst scare when he popped out from behind a tree on me. I don't use lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.