Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought gold tip triple X target arrows was wondering what you guys think to cut or not to cut to your draw length Drawing is 27 1/2 new arrow length is 31 with hundred 150 grain tip. Bow poundage is 63

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I would be interested too on this poll. I've heard to trains of thought. Leave long and heavy point or cut to 1/2" beyond rest and 150 gr point. I shoot 32" dl 58# indoor with 200gr point full length 32" which is only about 2" or so in front of rest, been thinking about cutting them back but obviously can't uncut an arrow so I've been hessitant.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Just bought gold tip triple X target arrows was wondering what you guys think to cut or not to cut to your draw length Drawing is 27 1/2 new arrow length is 31 with hundred 150 grain tip. Bow poundage is 63
Carbon arrows aren't as susceptible to spine as aluminum. On that note though, based on the results I'm getting with my setup, I'm a little surprised your combination is shooting that well. I am shooting Victory X-Killers cut right at 27". They also have 150 gr points. I'm using 3" shield cut feathers. My bow is only set at 48 pounds, and is set at 28" DL. This combination shoots bullet holes through paper, and fly great down to the target at 20 yards. And for this setup, that's all I care about.

So in my opinion....cut them. No use to have all that excess out past the bow as far as I'm concerned.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Another vote to cut them. Why keep the excess. Shooting GT ultra light pro's at 27". Why would I shoot them at 30"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the poundage and draw length Are not going to change it's just the arrow And tip weight that I'm changing in this set up. My setup now is Fatboy 400 @ 28" with 100 grain tip works okay but could be better.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
the poundage and draw length Are not going to change it's just the arrow And tip weight that I'm changing in this set up. My setup now is Fatboy 400 @ 28" with 100 grain tip works okay but could be better.
Wasn't hinting that you should change Draw weight or DL. Just stating that at 63 pounds, the GT Triple X arrows would probably shoot better if you cut them down to make them stiffer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the census is to cut so that's what I will do thanks everybody for your input I just couldn't make that decision for some reason my aluminums are all full-length that's why I was curious on whether I needed to cut the carbons

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Drawlength 27.5 and 31" arrows!? Why would you!?

Shorter = stiffer spine = heavier point with same drawweight & Lenght. Which is what you want because a heavier point = more stability.

If you draw 27.5 you can cut them as short as 26" and it'll be 1/4th" past your arrowrest. That might be a little too close for comfort though. Usually I cut my 3D arrows 1" shorter than my drawlenght.

Less carbon too shoot = less weight for 3D, as as stated before, more weight in the point without the arrow becoming too flexible.

On a hunting arrow, it's usually best to cut it the same as the drawlenght, so you have it about 3/4th " extending behond your riser, you don't have the broadhead hitting the riser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts