Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive already heard of two people that have killed deer at between 95-98 yards, both saying the deer went no farther than 50 yads and dropped
over dead.This gripes my butt,cause I'd really like to take them to the range
and see what kind of group they really have at 100 yards,if they could get two out of ten arrows in a paper plate.This isn't even taking into account
if the shot was up or downhill,wind,sticks,trees,well you know what I'm trying
to say.I just wonder how many shots at that range they aren't bragging about.And how many carcass' I'm going to find with some crappy shot that
was made on them.Guess I could do the same shot but I respect the animal
and the discipline of archery too much.Plus I enjoy being sneeky,thats the challenge.Guess we could all let go a hail mary,but how rewarding is it to pull
a sneak on an animal,within what you know is your "killing" range and make that perfect shot!!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I agree! Now I shoot at 70 yards a lot, but I still will not shoot at an animal over 40-45 yds. You have to respect the animal, and not go out and wound something just to say you shot an animal at 95 yds.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
you know.........i read this and wasn't going to comment at first but i read a comment earlier about 105 yards on a mulie that kinda ticked me off.
that's the type of people i would never hunt with in the first place. it's about as unethical as the next stupid thing to come out of their mouth.
it may be one thing to try a shot like that at a target but an animal?

ok, let the pissin match begin!!!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree! I do a lot of long range shooting for form. I have taken a couple of deer at 50 ish yards, but my setup is not good on targets beyond 70-75 yards. I have tried 100 yards but the arrow almost burns up on re-entry. I wouldnt judge that for everyone, but it wouldnt be good on mine.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I agree with you but I have a question. I am not trying to start stuff by any means.

Why bring this up? What I am trying to say is it is really just going to start an argument with one of the people who can "shoot that 2" group at 100yrds."

There is really no since in it and it is just fuel for the anti's.:wink:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
To me a good archer that practices regularly who is also an experienced bowhunter that knows when to shoot and when not to shoot. 50 yards and in is not a difficult shot:)

There are wrong times to shoot at 20 yards.

I am sure the majority of deer that are wounded and lost every year were shot at 20 yards or less. Sad but true:(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mate,
I've noticed that you'll always hear of those stupid long shots that kill. You just never hear of the ones that only wound. Its a bit like gamblers, you hear of how much they win. Never how much they lose to get there:)

Mark

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
IMO. it's about beeing true to your self, take a FITA 122 cm. target and take 6 arrows and see were your arrows will hit...

the yellow area on that target will pretty much equal the deadly area of a deer and then do your own judgement, you cant lie to your self....
i would very rarely go over 40 yards considering all the factors.
even on that range a deer vould have a chance to move before the arrows hits, and thus make it a bad shot.
I have once wounded a moose that i didnt find, and i would not like to be in that position again.
the thought of that moose dieing (spelling..) anyway dont appeal to me as it might do to others.
A good hunt for me ends up with a prefect kill and alot of meat in the frezzer that i can eat with a good conscience, other might have a different oppinion...

·
Registered
735 Posts
The amount of animals wounded by stupid shots and those that just don't have any repect for the game being hunted sickens me , then you throw in the mix of those that only pick up a bow during hunting season that only compounds the problem .
Yea I've lost a few and it pissed me off to a point where if I draw back on an animal now I "know" that he's mine , if not I don't even think about it.
Efficiancy at paper means little when it comes to the field with uphill,downhill, wind, rain,snow ect. let alone with an animal that can move with lightning reflexes.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have known of 4 shots that are similar to what you are talking about. All four have taken down the animal. Whether its been luck or skill or a little bit of both, who knows? Pesonally I limit myself to 50 yards and I could out shoot these fellows on any given day but I cannot criticize someone for shooting at a longer distance than I do. In my personal experience I have had more deer jump or try to jump the string at 25 yards or less than at the farther distances.
One of the major factors that used to limit the distance for bowhunters was yardage estimation, now with laser rangefinders all that is changing. One of the guys that made a long distance shot kept seeing a deer in the same spot day after day. He always ranged it and then one day he started practicing at that distance, he came back the next day and filled his tag. I was completely surprised because he told us of his intentions, we mentioned the negative aspects of a shot like this, but he still went and did it and then he harvested that buck. It only ran about 20 yards, when the buck was hit it jumped, ran 20 yards stopped looked back and then just keeled over. Its hard to argue with someone when he just did what you told him he couldn't. This still hasn't changed my limits but I sure made me see the how and why some of these shots are made. Keep in mind that back in the day when the Bow and Arrow were the only weapon for hunting and war shots of 100 yards or more were not unheard of. I have even read articles of where the archers were able to hit a target the size of a man to about 300 yards.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
re

I do think that it is too long to be shooting at an animal. I can confortably shoot 70 yrds, but I like to shoot at deer withing 30 yrds just cuz I like to see it bleed, mark the spot, wait 30 min. or so, then get on the trail. I know I could kill one at 70, but I would not try it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I practice with my hunting setup to 80 yards and to 90 meters with my comp. bow. That being said I would never take a shot at an unwounded animal at over 40 yards unless conditions were ideal. I can see where 50 and 60 yard shots could come into play out west, but I do not think it is needed or warrented for whitetails.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway.

Was this thread started to be a heads up rather or a blowing off steam event?.

If it's one for the purpose of steam relief......please make the next one about people who post threads to entice fights :wink:

·
Registered
218 Posts
meanv2,
"I'm sure the majority of wounded and lost deer are the results of shots 20 yards and under."

While you could be right, there's no way possible to have/get, statistical evidence to support that statement.

That certainly could be true in the many areas (where most shots taken are 20 and under because of terrain) but in other areas (as out west) I suspect long shots are the biggest reason for wounding and losing animals.

However, I still think shots over 40, ( perhaps 50 for really good shots (hunters) ),are pretty risky shots with more of a chance for wounding and losing then shots of 20 yards and under.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good shooting!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts