Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hunting partners father invited us to his place this fall and I dont know if I should go.Iam not sure I can afford it fore one and the other is I have no idea how good the place is or not.I have hundreds of acres here at home and all my own tree stands,I know it here like the back of my hand.I just dont know if it would be worth it,he says theres some monsters on the property he hunts I just dont know what to do.All it will cost me is the tags and a week off from work.I dont know what to do .

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
In my opinion, if the deer in your area aren't trophy class, then go. You can't pass up an opportunity like that... If all you have to do is take a weeks vacation from work and pay for non-resident tags, go for it. Atleast go scout for a day or two and see what comes out of that. If it were me, I'd be there!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Do you have 300 lb bucks ?

They do in Illi.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Archery tags are sold out if I understand correctly for Non residents.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
Are you Freaking NUTS?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ib4Hoyt said:
Are you Freaking NUTS?
I was thinkin the same thing...

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
xsmasherj said:
My hunting partners father invited us to his place this fall and I dont know if I should go.Iam not sure I can afford it fore one and the other is I have no idea how good the place is or not.I have hundreds of acres here at home and all my own tree stands,I know it here like the back of my hand.I just dont know if it would be worth it,he says theres some monsters on the property he hunts I just dont know what to do.All it will cost me is the tags and a week off from work.I dont know what to do .

The tags are all gone for this year if you are talking about bow hunting.

Some areas in Illinois are better than others, but coming from NY.......I could not imagine you NOT enjoying the trip.:wink:

I know that NY has some mighty fine deer hunting in some spots, but if you get the chance, try out a midwest deer hunt.:)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like its to late,I think Iam gonna have my buddy go on his own this year.Hopefully the same opportunity comes again next season.He just invited me yesterday.So kindof late notice.If I cant get a tag that pretty much answers my question.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Big Country said:
The tags are all gone for this year if you are talking about bow hunting.

Some areas in Illinois are better than others, but coming from NY.......I could not imagine you NOT enjoying the trip.:wink:

I know that NY has some mighty fine deer hunting in some spots, but if you get the chance, try out a midwest deer hunt.:)

If you get the chance, GO! Take this from one fellow upstate NY'er to another. I have hunted all over NY. From the Adirondacks, western NY, Finger lakes region, Hudson Valley, urban Bow Zones . . . you name, I have tried it.

There is no place like the midwest. I'll be in IL this year with Big Country, and hopefully hitting Kansas at the end of Nov. BTW, I have never hunted this part of KS before and will most likely be hunting public land, blind:eek: . However, I would easily say my chances of taking a mature buck are many times higher than in NY. The best place to kill a big buck is right where he is standing, and that rarely ends up being in NY. NY could be great if the DEC ever does something to limit the buck take.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iam heart broken,Hes finding out about the tags now.Do ya know when you have to get them by to have a shot at one?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
sounds like its definetly worth doing some homework on even if the tags are gone this year. you could be ahead for next year.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never even thought of it that way.Iam just really far ahead for next year.Iam sure Ill be invited again,his Dad just bought a bunch of property there so Iam sure it will all work out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
skin290 said:
Yeah, that makes a difference, I don't have too much luck where I go, but hten again I suck. :)

where do you go, and define SW Illinois

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get everything in place for next year, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
WAIT...check IL DNR website (for doe permit)!!!

I believe NR-antlerless ONLY permits are availible all season long over the counter...CHEAP! I believe they are $10 + NR hunting lic. (Total would be ~$65-75). I'm not certain how this works, I'm a IL resident, but I beleive you can purchase anytime during the year and there's no waiting time after you get it before you can hunt. We need to thin does here.

I grew up in Wisconsin, hunted MI, WY, MN, and still do WI every year, IL is hands down the best state I've hunted for both quality and quantity of deer. WY is a close 2nd. I've hunted IL for the last 3 years, have taken 2 140 class deer and 1 120, every year saw at least 1 160-180 class and managed to screw it up.

I'd make the trip if possible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts