Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying another bow.Narrowed it down to the Mathews Z7,and the Hoyt carbon Matrix.Which one would be the smoothest and which one would be the fastest.Iam a 28.5 draw,and shot a 399 grm arrow.the carbon express mayhem.I just sold my bowtech destroyer 350,and want to try on of these.Iam mainly into hunting and 3d.also any pics would be great.thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
i doubt you could go wrong with either. if there is a local shop you want to buy from then do it. if i had the choice i would keep my z7 because i dont have the money to afford a carbon matrix

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There is a night and day difference between the two bows you have chosen. Let the bow chose you!

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
There is a night and day difference between the two bows you have chosen. Let the bow chose you!
I gotta agree.Neither them chose me..Well The carbon matrix is out of budget.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
not trying to step on any toes here but i am sure i will. the carbon matrix is a nice shooting bow and for its size... it is nice and light. it is vibe free and quiet. but for hunting, i don't think it can touch the Z7. Z7's shorter A2A makes it more manuverable in a treestand or ground blind. Z7 is faster and smoother on the draw. Z7 is just as quiet and viberation free. There is one thing that the carbon matrix has over the Z7 though... it cost about 2X as much $. I wont say what I would really like to say about the carbon matrix, i will just say that i don't think it is worth what it costs. I would rather buy 2 hoyt maxxis 35's than 1 carbon matrix!

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
not trying to step on any toes here but i am sure i will. the carbon matrix is a nice shooting bow and for its size... it is nice and light. it is vibe free and quiet. but for hunting, i don't think it can touch the Z7. Z7's shorter A2A makes it more manuverable in a treestand or ground blind. Z7 is faster and smoother on the draw. Z7 is just as quiet and viberation free. There is one thing that the carbon matrix has over the Z7 though... it cost about 2X as much $. I wont say what I would really like to say about the carbon matrix, i will just say that i don't think it is worth what it costs. I would rather buy 2 hoyt maxxis 35's than 1 carbon matrix!
A 35in ata is not bad for hunting.IMOThe carbon matrix is not all That i will agree..But i really didnt think the Z7 was all that either.I liked the Bear attack more then the Z7..an its cheaper..

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
thats right and in the real world the z7 is 7-10fps faster.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It would be hard for me to choke down $1,500 for a bow, but more power to you if you can.... :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Save your money. Get a Turbohawk. The Matrix is OK but not worth the money at all. Its not that fast either (look at the specs). For one third the price you can have a better bow in my opinion.
I handled and shot the Carbon Matrix and found it to big for nothing. You would think this would translate into tighter groups but it didin't. Why? Its so damn lite. It kind of floats in your hand for larger bow.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
A 35in ata is not bad for hunting.IMOThe carbon matrix is not all That i will agree..But i really didnt think the Z7 was all that either.I liked the Bear attack more then the Z7..an its cheaper..
maybe cheaper for you but i have to pay $749 for a bear attack and my Mathews dealer is only charging $749 for a Z7... $725 without the dead end stop.... so i can actually get a Z7 cheaper than an Attack...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
also... i didn't say 35" A2A was too long for hunting, i just said that the Z7would be more manuverable in a treestand or a ground blind.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'll sell you my TomKat!!! It has a Carbon stabilizer on it, real high tech!!! :angel:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
z7!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Save your money. Get a Turbohawk. The Matrix is OK but not worth the money at all. Its not that fast either (look at the specs). For one third the price you can have a better bow in my opinion.
I handled and shot the Carbon Matrix and found it to big for nothing. You would think this would translate into tighter groups but it didin't. Why? Its so damn lite. It kind of floats in your hand for larger bow.
so damn light, just add .2 lbs of washer to your stabilizer bolt and you're back to the same weight as most other Hoyts...

·
Registered
94 Posts
which bow

For starters, go and shoot them; have an open mind and buy what you like after shooting them. I shot the z7, I shot the Maxxis 31 and 35 and the Matrix. My dealer handles Mathews, Hoyt, and BowTech. He told me to shoot them all including the BowTech Destroyer, but he told he was going to right down on a piece of paper which bow I would buy, which he did. The bottom line was the Maxxis 31", and I'm not a short draw person or a short bow person. This is the shortest bow I have ever had and it's unbelievable how nice this bow shoots. He had a Maxxis 35" on his piece of paper, but the 31" felt smoother, and the bow just felt better in my hand. It had an IBO speed of 323, and I am getting 321 without tweeking the bow. I wanted whatever bow felt the best in the draw cycle, absolutely no vibs in the grip after the shot, decent speed, just a great all around bow, and that's what I paid the man for. The Matrix was lighter, but to me it didn't feel any better in my hand, or during and after the shot, at least not for double the price, but this is me, only you can make the final decision. But shoot the bows, don't listen to what other people say including the dealer. He can give you his recommendations, but it has to satisfy you, you are paying the cash, so buy what feels best to you not what someone else tries to sell you including your dealer.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
user91220_pic46406_1273204992[1].jpg

I traded my all black z7 for this maxxis 35 and don't regret it one bit. I am waiting for a guy that borrowed my chrony to bring it back and test it, but with the #2 cams at 28.5", speeds should be comparable to a z7, but I'll see as I still have my notes from my Z. I liked the matrix, but don't see the cost. I heard from the pro at the shop that they cut 2 tubes on each end next to the pocket and tested it with no failures, thats impressive though

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
my maxxis 35 with #2 cams, equal AMO draw length and equal poundage is 5 fps slower than my old z7 with a 350 gr arrow, pretty close if you ask me consider IBO's of 332 amd 318 fps. It is also 3-4 fps faster with the #2's compared to my maxxis 31 with #3 cams which has an IBO of 323

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Priorities

I plan on buying another bow.Narrowed it down to the Mathews Z7,and the Hoyt carbon Matrix.Which one would be the smoothest and which one would be the fastest.Iam a 28.5 draw,and shot a 399 grm arrow.the carbon express mayhem.I just sold my bowtech destroyer 350,and want to try on of these.Iam mainly into hunting and 3d.also any pics would be great.thanks
Wouldn't it be much more important to You with which one You hit what You want to most precisely and consistently? Isn't that the most important factor. "Smooth" may FEEL good but this isn't Yoga:teeth: I think that is why there are so many people who experience "New Bow Disappointment Syndrome"! They focus too much on the wrong traits for getting the arrow DEAD CENTER!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts