Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have drawn a tag, that I would really like to fill with a big bull. I have an early archery tag for 7W here in Arizona.

In the past I have always done my own scouting and hunted on my own or with friends (about the same skill level as I). I have killed many animals but no trophy animals. I have always taken pride in meat hunting and finding and killing my own animais....BUT..... I am getting to the point where I would like to kill a nice bull.

My questions is based on experience of those who have hired guides in past, was your experience worth the money and what can I expect to pay for a guide to assist me? Are there services I could use that would be less expensive than hiring a guide to assist in locating my big bull.

Any comments are appreciated..........

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I see you live there, so it's probably easier to draw a tag then a Non Resident. I know one thing, if I ever get enough Arizona preference points saved up, you can bet I'll be hiring an outfitter for that once in a lifetime hunt.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I've always found that the preparation is 90% of the fun for me. Hiring someone to have all that fun& then paying them for much of the experience seems like a waste. Now, if I was only in town for 5 days, then I might be inclined to pay someone to get me into the hunt.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I say hiring a guide in an area that you have already hunted several times would be a waste, to me. If you are in a good area and have been killing decent animals, you will connect with a monster bull sooner or later. But if you think it will help, then do it, if money in not a problem. If you are able...just do some extra scouting before the season opens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just question, not my shooting skills but there is so much to an elk hunt in the rut. Calling? Spot and Stalk v. Treestand...... When to bugle or when to shut up, mapping best spots (not overhunted) etc...

I do love scouting and it will be nice to hunt this area with a bow and much less hunters vs. last years rifle hunt with a million others.

I think I know the answer and the above posts help me. Tons of scouting and getting a nice bull on my own will be so much more rewarding than getting one with a guide. I just think I could learn a ton from a guide. I am the first hunter in my family and by hunting on my own have made so many mistakes (many I will never forget ie, trying to shoot an animal while its walking instead of stopping it or not being patient enough and spooking nice animals). Its a good way to learn because I still kick myself for some of them.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I just question, not my shooting skills but there is so much to an elk hunt in the rut. Calling? Spot and Stalk v. Treestand...... When to bugle or when to shut up, mapping best spots (not overhunted) etc...

I do love scouting and it will be nice to hunt this area with a bow and much less hunters vs. last years rifle hunt with a million others.

I think I know the answer and the above posts help me. Tons of scouting and getting a nice bull on my own will be so much more rewarding than getting one with a guide. I just think I could learn a ton from a guide. I am the first hunter in my family and by hunting on my own have made so many mistakes (many I will never forget ie, trying to shoot an animal while its walking instead of stopping it or not being patient enough and spooking nice animals). Its a good way to learn because I still kick myself for some of them.

Check out Elknut.com, Paul is a member here, and he's got some great instructional videos, also watch and read anything you can about elk hunting, buy Elknut's Playbook, it has some great info, and is small enough you can take it with you. For me, after watching the elk calling videos, then watching elk HUNTING videos, it helped me put together what you really want to be "saying" when you call.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Drop camp

This may be the best of both worlds. There may be some in your area plus gives you an opportunity to talk and get ideas from a gude. Have had good sucess with this. Good Hunting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts