Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about draw weight and a decent release, I have issues with my shoulder a torn rotator cuff which will heal but I have some other things that won't heal. I want to continue to shoot I can handle 20# can a decent release be had at this poundage? has anyone else dropped a significant amount of poundage just to be able to continue shooting? my serious days are behind me so the most i would do is to shoot a couple of 18m indoor tourneys.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hello.

You can absolutely get a decent release with a light bow. You might be scratching your head for a couple of weeks as you reboot your sensations and relaxations at the loose, but that will soon pass as you adjust to the string's speed. It's still ripping out of there, and all rules still apply ... but it is a different "muscle" now pulling against you and, as such, merely takes adjusting to.

I love practicing with my 20# for form work in the garage. I shoot wooden logs out of it, but with the right spine and a light shaft, you'll find that the speed is quite zippy and absolutely productive in achieving your archery "jones".

You may well find that your "serious days" take on a new life. Poundage is a number ... archery is a joy.

Have fun, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
When I was shooting 20# trainers my release was probably better than it is now. I was working that much harder on my shot sequence and release, knowing I didn't have the heavier DW to help mask any irregularities.

I 100% agree with TM, you may be surprised to see improvements in just a short time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello.

Poundage is a number ... archery is a joy.

Have fun, and good luck.
Great post Thin Man. My drop to low pounds is now pretty much permanent. You need to change your expectations about distance, but not about accuracy. Think carefully about arrows - for Easton ones use the youth charts as a better guide. Relax, and enjoy pain free shooting. Good luck :)

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,319 Posts
Absolutely you can get a clean release with LW Bows. There are several in my club that continue to shoot 10-25lb bows just to work on form and release. It may be harder and take more work but it can be done.

10lb limbs at 18M with the proper arrows and you might be very impressed.

DC

·
Registered
271 Posts
I find its weird to switch from 40# down to 20# (which I'm doing now due to injury).

It feels wrong because you dont have to use as much muscle as you're used to, so the follow through feels weak and bad, feels like there is excessive string drag on your fingers, etc. Take a video of yourself and you will be surprised. Its all still there, its just less dramatic.

·
Registered
955 Posts
In fact, it may be easier to get a clean release with lo weight because you can make sure that draw hand is fully relaxed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I meant to say - if you are shooting Oly style, be prepared to rethink your stabilisation to match the draw weight too. And think about your string - you don't need a heavy string to slow it down ;)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hello.

You can absolutely get a decent release with a light bow. You might be scratching your head for a couple of weeks as you reboot your sensations and relaxations at the loose, but that will soon pass as you adjust to the string's speed. It's still ripping out of there, and all rules still apply ... but it is a different "muscle" now pulling against you and, as such, merely takes adjusting to.

I love practicing with my 20# for form work in the garage. I shoot wooden logs out of it, but with the right spine and a light shaft, you'll find that the speed is quite zippy and absolutely productive in achieving your archery "jones".

You may well find that your "serious days" take on a new life. Poundage is a number ... archery is a joy.

Have fun, and good luck.
Well said, Thin Man!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the answers, dchan I am really going to think about that before I buy limbs I have a 29 inch draw so is there a arrow chart that could get me close on arrows? oh aluminums preferably

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,319 Posts
At 29" you will be limited to a very few arrows in Aluminum's. If that is truly 29" AMO you can shoot an arrow that is closer to 28", even 27.75" but you will be very close to pulling the arrow through the rest.. going this route however will open up a few more options. It's not unheard of but just a warning.

Depending on your scores and requirements, Viper's "shootingthestickbow.com" website has a chart that will get you in the ball park and it's geared to Aluminum arrows.

The Carbon Express chart in my sticky (from Limbwalker) will get you close in the carbon arena.

The easton youth chart will also get you pretty close. other than that, you will need to experiment with the rig you purchase. Again for MOST recreational/occasional fun indoor tournaments close is usually good enough. getting it "perfect" is IMO is wasted time compared to working on your form. If you really enjoy the technical side of it, I don't have a problem with tinkering but to think it's going to help gain several points and is the "magic bullet" think again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
With 10 lb Roland bow (my DL is 28"), I use Carbon arrow 2000, very comfortable in 18m indoor. My next is to follow DChan's B.E.S.T grip: not sure where to get epoxy to
hold palm meat firm. Home depot epoxy is too soft and sticky...

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,776 Posts
not sure where to get epoxy to
hold palm meat firm. Home depot epoxy is too soft and sticky...
its called steel putty. You find it at home depot etc. You mix the two putties together and then put it in place It hardens in about 30 minutes. Then you can sand on it. cut on it with a razor etc. Its very durable and will last until you want to remove it.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1014404/?utm...RHwAuWjhSunLY_cmlMOEjfdp-VJ2d_zInQaAsNN8P8HAQ

http://www.insanepowersports.com/quik-steel-16002tri-steel-reinforced-epoxy-putty/

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1150642/?utm...gM3VK9llm5hh0HSLNlJrVoNQ-XcG2oOvG8aAlmG8P8HAQ

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-sticks/faststeel.htm

Chris

·
Registered
895 Posts
Didn't Denise Parker win a medal with a lightweight bow and Jazz arrows?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I shot 14# for few months after tearing my deltoid. Was shooting ~51# before that. I think it only helped my release. I was able to shoot 30m outdoors comfortably, with a sight setting close to 70m setting on my normal poundage. I was shooting far, far too stiff arrows (430's rather than ~1200s) as there aren't long enough arrows on those spines for me. I was still able to trick an okish clearance and could hit the target with a very wobbly arrow.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
I meant to say - if you are shooting Oly style, be prepared to rethink your stabilisation to match the draw weight too. And think about your string - you don't need a heavy string to slow it down ;)
===========
X2 well said.

Bow string Release = resistance = stabilizer and its proper end weight. For your poundage hold. [ Later

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
I believe they use Sugru to form grips.

http://sugru.com/about
I suppose you could go with that, but epoxy is a lot cheaper, has a longer shelf life, and it is more structurally stable and shapes well by sanding. You probably could do both, though, an epoxy base with a sugru layer on top.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm shooting a low poundage bow, 21 lbs, for similar reasons to you. You can shoot fine with a light bow but have to pay more attention to form and a good back tension release. It can be hard to feel the back tension as the bow is light. I focus on feeling the BT as I draw it and then hold on to it through the release. I switched my finger grip to an "NTS" type grip which helped me release the string more cleanly.

I'm using Carbon Express Medallion CR arrows. They have a nice spine offering for light bows yet their arrows are still long enough to accommodate a draw like yours.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I switched my finger grip to an "NTS" type grip which helped me release the string more cleanly.
Did you mean finger tab?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts