Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Would Like To Hear From Archers Not Using A Peep Sight And What They Are Using In Place Of It.thanks:)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't understand why you would not use a peep...to my knowledge all Olympic archers use a peep as do most of the professional target shooters...In the quest for accuracy in shooting regardless if your passion is bowhunting or target.. the choice seems obvious...:wink:

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I've been using a Timberline No-Peep on one bow for a couple of years. I have a peep on the other bow. Each has it's pros and cons IMO. The Archery Inovations Ancor Sight is another choice similar to the No-Peep. Both are ancor point reference devices. You don't look thru them but at them to check if your ancoring the same each time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I use a Hind Sight. I only used it at first because when I first started I just couldn't use a peep. Now that I've been shooting a while I can use a peep or the Hind Sight but I stick with the Hind Sight because I'm used to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've recently been going no-peep out of necessity. It started when the cable line on my bow began to fray. Insted of not shooting, I began shooting the wife's bow and tuning it up for her.

Her peep position is about an inch lower than my line of sight. I've learned to use alternative sights like where my hand touches my face.

I've also begun to shoot with both eyes open. What a trip. Once you learn to aim with your dominant eye, shooting with both eyes open allows you to see the path of the arrow as it leaves the bow much better.

B in NC

·
Registered
164 Posts
To Peep Or Not To Peep That Is The Question

:eek: I HAVE BOTH THE ANCHOR SITE AND THE NO-PEEP AND THEY BOTH ARE SITTING ON MY BENCH. I HAD A PEEP W/TUBE ON MY BOW AND TOOK IT OFF. I FOUND OUT THAT THE TUBE WAS CREATING ALOT OF NOISE. I HAD A KISSER BUTTON ON ALSO AND LEFT THAT ON. NOW I SHOOTWITHOUT A PEEP. NUT I HAVE TO TELL YOU IT IS A CHOICE. I FOUND THAT I LIKE IT GONE TOO. WITH THE KISSER BUTTON ON AND MY ANCHOR STAYING THE SAME I SHOOT ALMOST THE SAME. IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY YOU JUST HAVE TO PRACTICE AND FIND YOU'RE KARMA. EITHER WAY YOU HAVE A CHOICE FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU TRY BOTH WAYS AND SEE WHAT WORKS. GOOD LUCK SILENTSAM:wink:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
johnno said:
I don't understand why you would not use a peep...to my knowledge all Olympic archers use a peep as do most of the professional target shooters...In the quest for accuracy in shooting regardless if your passion is bowhunting or target.. the choice seems obvious...:wink:
Well, I think your view is a little narrow minded.

I do both hunting and target shooting. I do 3D, Indoors and FITA shooting. I have three longer axle to axle bows for target shooting and a short A2A for hunting and tree stand work.

The difference between target shooting and hunting is like night and day. The target bow is setup to shoot a very small target at a distance, this requires pin point accuracy. Especially, with the Olympic type shooting and the great distances involved. They use special arrows and low poundage too. All forms of target archery have a few things in common. They are usually shot under good lighting conditions; the targets are stationary and they are all trying to achieve a pin point accuracy.

Hunting on the other hand is usual done in low light conditions. The shot needs to be accurately placed, but it does not need to be precisely placed and the target can suddenly move or an object may interfere with the shot.

Now many people think the best way to kill with an arrow is in the heart. It isn't. The preferred shot in a double lung shot. The animal will actually expire faster because it will bleed out faster if the pump is still going.

So, in a hunting shot being able to maintain a 4 to 6 inch group is more important than pin point accuracy. The main think a hunter has to do to be successful is to identify the area he need to hit to be able to double lung the quarry and be able to execute the shot.

I have used a peep for hunting, I've used them with tubes and without tubes. If you have a good string the without tubes are better. But, they can also be problematic and not necessary reliable with temperature changes.
Hunting is a differant style of shooting than any target shooting including 3D. Shots are usually performed from elevated stands at twilight conditions. A peep severally restricts your vision.

I switched and started using a No-Peep a couple of years ago. I increased my hunting draw length by using a caliper and removing the D-loop and am shooting directly off the string. I am currently using the Anchor Sight and feel is is superior to the No-Peep in all regards. I don't ever plan on installing another peep on a hunting bow.

Are these devices as accurate as a peep. In close range less than 50 yards I believe they are or at least could be. Now, I don't buy the fact that Olympic and other target archers don't use them as a valid reason they don't work. The reason is quite simple actually. These archers have always used a peep and if they weren't good with it, they wouldn't be were they are!!

There are several ways to not use a peep and retain accuracy, but the Anchor Sight and No-Peep are better on a hunting bow for many reasons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had a Timberline No-Peep on my bow for 3 years now and love it. I used to use a regular peer with a tube, but with age my eyes could not see well in dusk conditions. I would think that the No-Peep is not as acurate as a string peep, but I can get 4" groups out to 40 yards which is more than I need. When I first put the No-Peep on, I would check it on every shot. Now I just check it every 2nd. or 3rd. shot in practice, and is normally right on. The No-Peer takes a little to set up, but once set, you can forget adjusting again. I have never tried the Hind Sight so can not comment on it. If you want it for hunting and take only 20 or 30 yard shots, the No-Peep works fine.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
fishen_soon said:
I have had a Timberline No-Peep on my bow for 3 years now and love it. I used to use a regular peer with a tube, but with age my eyes could not see well in dusk conditions. I would think that the No-Peep is not as acurate as a string peep, but I can get 4" groups out to 40 yards which is more than I need. When I first put the No-Peep on, I would check it on every shot. Now I just check it every 2nd. or 3rd. shot in practice, and is normally right on. The No-Peer takes a little to set up, but once set, you can forget adjusting again. I have never tried the Hind Sight so can not comment on it. If you want it for hunting and take only 20 or 30 yard shots, the No-Peep works fine.
I totally agree. The main thing that is needed with these devices is practice and trust. The real secret to using these devices is the have them set to your "natural" draw and hold. Once you trust the device you can look at it and then aim and shoot. If my eyes notice is again, they are doing it subconciously. You can also do this much faster than trying to get a peep and pin lined up.

This was the main trouble I had with the hind sight. There was just too much cludd in the sight window for me. I guess, my main problem with the hind sight was I seem to have to change my anchor to get it on a different pin. I didn't have much accuracy with the hind sight and it ended up Ebayed quickly.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Olympic archers don't use peep sights because the rules forbid them.

Compound bows aren't used in the Olympics - only recurves at this stage.

Olympic archers are now achieving scores approaching those of compound shooters in the full FITA round - which makes one question how necessary peeps really are for good accuracy.:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks To ALL That Took The Time For There Possitive Input,i Thank After Bow Season I Will Try The No Peep,i Had Tried The Highn Sight
But Was Not Satisfide,does The No Peep Come In A Left,right Setup.thanks Again.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Deezlin said:
Well, I think your view is a little narrow minded.

I do both hunting and target shooting. I do 3D, Indoors and FITA shooting. I have three longer axle to axle bows for target shooting and a short A2A for hunting and tree stand work.

The difference between target shooting and hunting is like night and day. The target bow is setup to shoot a very small target at a distance, this requires pin point accuracy. Especially, with the Olympic type shooting and the great distances involved. They use special arrows and low poundage too. All forms of target archery have a few things in common. They are usually shot under good lighting conditions; the targets are stationary and they are all trying to achieve a pin point accuracy.

Hunting on the other hand is usual done in low light conditions. The shot needs to be accurately placed, but it does not need to be precisely placed and the target can suddenly move or an object may interfere with the shot.

Now many people think the best way to kill with an arrow is in the heart. It isn't. The preferred shot in a double lung shot. The animal will actually expire faster because it will bleed out faster if the pump is still going.

So, in a hunting shot being able to maintain a 4 to 6 inch group is more important than pin point accuracy. The main think a hunter has to do to be successful is to identify the area he need to hit to be able to double lung the quarry and be able to execute the shot.

I have used a peep for hunting, I've used them with tubes and without tubes. If you have a good string the without tubes are better. But, they can also be problematic and not necessary reliable with temperature changes.
Hunting is a differant style of shooting than any target shooting including 3D. Shots are usually performed from elevated stands at twilight conditions.
A peep severally restricts your vision.
I switched and started using a No-Peep a couple of years ago. I increased my hunting draw length by using a caliper and removing the D-loop and am shooting directly off the string. I am currently using the Anchor Sight and feel is is superior to the No-Peep in all regards. I don't ever plan on installing another peep on a hunting bow.

Are these devices as accurate as a peep. In close range less than 50 yards I believe they are or at least could be. Now, I don't buy the fact that Olympic and other target archers don't use them as a valid reason they don't work. The reason is quite simple actually. These archers have always used a peep and if they weren't good with it, they wouldn't be were they are!!

There are several ways to not use a peep and retain accuracy, but the Anchor Sight and No-Peep are better on a hunting bow for many reasons.

Even when shooting with BOTH eyes open?

·
Registered
325 Posts
No Peep for me

I have been using a No Peep for about a year and love it. For me it was constantly having to adjust your peep because it had rotated a quarter turn and now you cant see out of it at full draw. The no peep will show the slightest hand torque which will effect your accuracy. I agree with the earlier comment that out to 40 yds the no peep is the only way to go for me. I would rarely get a shot opportunity past that distance in the woods. 10 to 20 is more common and I slap arrows at that distance. There is no right and left on the no peep. One size fits all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
jray57 said:
Even when shooting with BOTH eyes open?
For me...YES! I've been shooting with both eyes for 20 years. Now with my advanced age, vision through the peep is getting difficult on the dominant eye. I find myself having to close one eye, then re-open it after the brain starts working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts