Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I shoot a Bowtech Tomkat 63# 28" w/ 27.5 Easton Axis 400 w/ blazers. I have paper tuned and walk back tuned etc. and it all checks out. When I put my G5 strikers on today they shot about 1 - 2" to the left. Could the nock point have slid a bit. Its been a month since i paper tuned and it was a new bow when i did this..so could the nock point have moved or should i just adjust my sights...It was the same at 20, 30, and 40 yrds, about 1-2" left..Is this a tuning issue or a planing issue? Should i give the rest a little bump? Thanks guys and sorry about the repetitive question...Im VERY anal about tuning...and im tryin to learn to do it like the best of them..so any advice is a plus

·
Registered
872 Posts
Easton Tuning Guide

First, an excellent paper has been prepared by Easton on how to tune a rest for broadheads. I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to tune bows becomes very familiar with this document. It can be found at the following link:

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

With that being said...
I am not sure what type of rest you are using (micro-adjust, etc) so I will give you the quick fix that will work with any rest.

Place the arrow on the rest and measure (with a small tape measure) the distance from the riser to the center, outside or inside edge of the arrow (whichever you can see most clearly). Move the rest 1/16" to the left and recheck the measurement. Shoot another group. If the arrows are now grouping with the field tips - you are done. If the group got closer to the field tips point of impact, then make another small adjustment left. Repeat this process until the field tips and broadheads have the same point of impact.

If the group got farther from the field tips - then take out your tape measure and move the rest 1/16" right from the original position. Repeat the above process until you are satisfied.

A couple statements of warning on this process. Moving the rest, even in small amounts like this, will cause the field tips point of impact to move as well. The field tips will move a small amount - and the broadheads a much larger amount. You should move your sights so that you are grouping around the bullseye only after you have a "good" group of mixed broadheads and field tips. I realize that you can move your sights at any time - but it is a much quicker process to wait till you have a "good" grouping of arrows with a finely tuned bow. Remember when you are tuning - the object is to shoot groups, not bullseyes.

If this process does not work, then you likely have a mechanical problem with the arrow. It might be incorrectly spined, have fletching contact, a broadhead that wobbles, or some other mechanical problem.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..

That article was really helpful...Tells me everything I need to know :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
I'd say you are underspined for your set up. A 28.5" Axis 340 with that 100 grain Striker would spine much better. Or drop the bow to about 56# and try a 27" Axis 400 with the Striker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts