Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years now I've NOT used any wraps even tho I love the cosmetic appeal......I have a couple dz new arrows I'm wanting to put vanes and tips on but I can't make up my mind rather to use the wraps or not......I've got some neat wraps with my name "Rembrandt" on them and I'd like to use them but if they cause any variation in flight like fishtailing then I definitely won't use them....Does anyone have a knowledgeable fact finding opinion on the use of the wraps? I know this has been brought up before but I've skipped over the threads due to not using them in a long time.........

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,139 Posts
I do know that when I first thought about wrapping my arrows I took 3 wrapped and 3 unwrapped and they had the same POI at 60yds. This was done over MANY shots over the course of a few months. Lots of 3D practice then hunting. I only hunted with unwrapped the first year. That was enough for me.

Now I always wrap my hunting arrows in fluorescent orange and fletch with 3 orange and one white vane.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,879 Posts
Remmy, generally speaking, wraps won't effect arrow flight. They will decrease FOC but you can still obtain good flight if all else is right. Things like spine, fletchings, etc.

I stopped using full wraps a few years ago when I had an arrow separate on me. The wrap was masking the crack in the arrow. Ever since then I use a white nock and partial wraps and still get very good arrow visibility even in the dark woods.

Skeet.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I can't tell any difference, but, then, I'm not the shot you and the Poet are.

I just have to have a short white wrap no matter what.

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remmy, generally speaking, wraps won't effect arrow flight. They will decrease FOC but you can still obtain good flight if all else is right. Things like spine, fletchings, etc.

I stopped using full wraps a few years ago when I had an arrow separate on me. The wrap was masking the crack in the arrow. Ever since then I use a white nock and partial wraps and still get very good arrow visibility even in the dark woods.

Skeet.
I like those you did and it makes sense to flex the arrows after each session and those arrows would show any cracks for sure.....I used the wraps all the time with the Elite bows I had and I had a problem with fishtailing and it was probably a NOT tuned bow that was the problem and not the wraps.....

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do know that when I first thought about wrapping my arrows I took 3 wrapped and 3 unwrapped and they had the same POI at 60yds. This was done over MANY shots over the course of a few months. Lots of 3D practice then hunting. I only hunted with unwrapped the first year. That was enough for me.

Now I always wrap my hunting arrows in fluorescent orange and fletch with 3 orange and one white vane.
I can understand the wraps on hunting arrows for visability. Do you use wraps on your 3-D arrows?

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't tell any difference, but, then, I'm not the shot you and the Poet are.

I just have to have a short white wrap no matter what.
LOL, hey, I can't account for the Poet but I have my ups and downs with shooting ability.....Some days it pays to stay in the recliner or go make a knife. I'm all over the target it seems....

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,139 Posts

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
I used wraps for a while and I had some start to come off and I guess they get brittle and the vanes sometimes come off. I don't know.

Now I only use wraps on carbon arrows because it's easier to refletch arrows. I don't have to worry about damaging the carbon trying to strip vanes.

Aluminum I don't use wraps anymore...

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,407 Posts
Wraps make the arrows look nice. I personally just started fletching my own arrows and haven't figured a way to strip the old vanes and reuse the same wrap so now I go no wrap. Any info on how to do it Im all ears??

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
i seen a kinda a wierd issue that may be a safety concern with a wrap,what happened was half way under the wrap the carbon arrow broke and went into his wrist and strings came off his newer bow ,he blamed it on the bow .i was only 10 feet away when it happened so myself an another shooter found all the pieces .this is what really happened the arrow shaft was cracked under the wrap, so the crack could not be seen under the wrap before the shoot probably looked perfect and after the shot wrap still looked good but the cracked part did come apart and go into his wrist it look terrible.since then i am kinda don`t want to use them on carbon arrows anymore.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
I wrap my arrows with white wraps. 2 orange 1 white or yellow vanes.

I wrap my arrows for 2 reasons. 1) visibility for recovery i see white better then any color in the woods. 2) blood, when i shoot an animal i can find the arrow and view the blood that is on the wrap to see what color it is... a colored wrap may look cool but will tint the blood and not give an accurate color.

there is an alternative. buy reflective wrap and cut strips as skeeter has done, when your light hits the reflective wrap you will see the arrow just like using the trail marker thumb tacks.

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i seen a kinda a wierd issue that may be a safety concern with a wrap,what happened was half way under the wrap the carbon arrow broke and went into his wrist and strings came off his newer bow ,he blamed it on the bow .i was only 10 feet away when it happened so myself an another shooter found all the pieces .this is what really happened the arrow shaft was cracked under the wrap, so the crack could not be seen under the wrap before the shoot probably looked perfect and after the shot wrap still looked good but the cracked part did come apart and go into his wrist it look terrible.since then i am kinda don`t want to use them on carbon arrows anymore.
Skeeter brought that up also and it does make you stand back and think on it for a while.....

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wrap my arrows with white wraps. 2 orange 1 white or yellow vanes.

I wrap my arrows for 2 reasons. 1) visibility for recovery i see white better then any color in the woods. 2) blood, when i shoot an animal i can find the arrow and view the blood that is on the wrap to see what color it is... a colored wrap may look cool but will tint the blood and not give an accurate color.

there is an alternative. buy reflective wrap and cut strips as skeeter has done, when your light hits the reflective wrap you will see the arrow just like using the trail marker thumb tacks.
That's what I intend to do with mine.....I have a big stack of wraps and I want to use them and the best way I believe and the safest way is like you and Skeeter are doing. That's what I'm gonna try......

·
Back Yard Champion
29,824 Posts
Rembrandt, the only down side I know of wraps comes with re-fletching - like good-bye wrap. Another would if you have a shoot through style rest, prongs, like a QuikTune 3000 or Spot Hogg. That little difference of thickness of shaft and shaft wrapped will give a "tickle."

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am glad I saw this post, never thought about damage underneath wrap, one less thing to worry about after flexing arrows

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rembrandt, the only down side I know of wraps comes with re-fletching - like good-bye wrap. Another would if you have a shoot through style rest, prongs, like a QuikTune 3000 or Spot Hogg. That little difference of thickness of shaft and shaft wrapped will give a "tickle."
I agree and another downside is you lose two other vanes by taking off the wrap. I've knocked off vanes shooting groups and trying to add a vane onto a damaged wrap is relatively ugly!

·
32,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am glad I saw this post, never thought about damage underneath wrap, one less thing to worry about after flexing arrows
I didn't either until Skeeter and Pete53 brought it up......I will do as they advised with the "Rembrandt" part cut out and put strategically where I want it on the arrow.....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts