Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im fairly new to this site and this happens to be the first thread that I've posted.

This time of year, I am deep into some of the magazines I pick up at the store and this year I'm thinking of subscribing to some. I'm reading equipment reviews, hunting how-to's, everything I can get on calling game and I just enjoy looking at the pictures of all of the toads that the lucky guys kill. It seems to help me get even more pumped up for the season.

I was wondering what different magazines some of you guys like and for what reasons. Which ones do you think have the best combination editorial and photography? Which are the most informitive? Who are some of your favorite bowhunting authors or which ones do you think really know what thier talking about and vise-versa?

Its hard to pick just a couple of all the magazines to get coming to the house and I dont get a chance to look them all over. What do you guys like and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to get Bowhunter, but I thought it was sorta lame. It was o.k., but not great. I've been a long time subscriber to Petersen's Bowhunting and absolutely love it. I also get Bowhunting World and really enjoy that one also. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are the biggies I guess. I like Bowhunter myself. Havent picked up many Petersons or Bowhunting Worlds. I picked up a copy of Bow & Arrow the other day that I liked. Had a story by Chuck Adams about the last four elk he is taken. Crazy huge elk! There was another one that I got at the shop that I liked too? I liked it because the editors note said that it focused on stratigies for doing better close to home and it did have some realy informative stories. It seemed like more of a broad view instead of where you can travel across the country to take a booner buck. Cant remember the name though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Peterson's rating system they use in their bow reviews is a total joke. I can't remember the last time a bow wasn't rated 4 1/2 stars. Other than that, it isn't bad.

I like Bow & Arrow, and BHW.

·
Registered
149 Posts
BOW AND ARROW HUNTING IMO IS THE BEST I'VE READ. BOWHUNTER IS GOOD TOO, FOR LINING THE BOTTOM OF A BIRDCAGE.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I like and subsribe to several,"Bowhunter,Peterson's Bowhunting,Bowhunting World and Deer and Deer hunting".What can I say,I like to pass the off season reading about equiptment and hunting stories.......:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
bullman royal, i like reading articles that might help improve my shooting tehniques, and might help me to become a better hunter. imo i get more out of one issue of b+a hunting, than a years worth of bowhunter. what jaded my opinion was an issue where the editor went musk ox hunting. due to a shoulder injury, he shot his bow with his teeth. i felt like it was a complete waste of my time. remember, this is my own opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whodat,

I feel the same way about the articles that I read. I want them to make me better. The whole reason that I liked that Bowhunt America magazine was because of an article called Secrets for Shooting a Finger Release. Bill Krenz wrote it and that article did a hell of allot for my shooting. Ill make sure and start paying more attention to B & A Hunting also. I think I have a copy of it right now but its the only one I have looked at over the last year or so. I dont usually see that one on the news stand. Seems like some of the better magazines arent always there. Always the same old Petersons, Bowhunter, BHW.... Etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to get Petersons bowhunting, then switched to Bowhunter. I have since switched back. Not as jaded as some, but I just felt that Petersons was better reading, better articles, etc.

My .02 only.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone besides me dive right into looking at trophy photo's? If there is a page where they display photo's from readers, Im all over it as soon as I pick up the magazine. Then I start looking through the stories.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I read all I can afford. Trouble is I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the stuff I see advertised. I want it all. LOL

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Bowhunting World is my favorite. I feel that Norb Mullaney does an excellent job on reviewing bows. Also like Bow and Arrow hunting. Picked up a copy of Bowhunt America at my pro shop yesterday. Have not had a chance to read it yet, but from just thumbing through it, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hunting magazines

i prefer deer and deer huntingbecause it is strictly about whitetails.it talks about deer behavior,equipment testsand has articles about other hunters success stories.ive read the others but didnt like them,too many articles about game other than whitetails.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I prefer the target oriented jobs-AFocus, 3D times etc but I get whatever the IBO one is plus petersons. I also like traditional bowhunting magazine despite their affiliation with the odious PBS. Lots of elitist snobbery but many good articles especially on bowfishing

·
When's bow season start?
8,863 Posts
Bowhunting World first, followed by Peterson's Hunting and Bowhunter. I also like Norb Mullaney's bow reviews. Years ago I used to read hunting mags more for the "Me and Joe" type of hunting stories. Now I tend to read reviews of new products and actual test results more than anything.

Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts