Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,228 Posts
I came across this new Tom Clum youtube seminar video. I'm interested in people's thoughts, especially on the follow-through exercise at 59:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3F96kqv9k

Thanks.
I know Tom quite well. He is a great thinker about archery and every one of his thoughts will make you better. That said, you need to remember that he is primarily a trad guy.

I really don't like the drop the elbow thing.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Regarding that 59:20. That's not the natural response of the body after the string pushed through fingers. The forearm will try to get to the "normal relaxed position" and will rotate on its axes ---> wrist will rotate ---> fingers will rotate and in a slow motion video the elbow never goes down below the shoulder line naturally. That motion happens just if the shot sequence has another step after the release : catch the ball on your shoulder. As drill to understand release feedback may work, but I wouldn't introduce "catch the ball" in the shot sequence.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wish I had learned back tension when I started archery. I was basically instructed to concentrate on shoulder pull to pass the clicker (push-pull, etc).

Regarding the release exercise, it works better if your hand is at an angle and not vertical. Easier said than done :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Regarding that 59:20. That's not the natural response of the body after the string pushed through fingers. The forearm will try to get to the "normal relaxed position" and will rotate on its axes ---> wrist will rotate ---> fingers will rotate and in a slow motion video the elbow never goes down below the shoulder line naturally. That motion happens just if the shot sequence has another step after the release : catch the ball on your shoulder. As drill to understand release feedback may work, but I wouldn't introduce "catch the ball" in the shot sequence.
It can be if you are completing the shot with scapular depression using the muscles lower in the back. The lower trap rotates the scapula down, creating a slight increase in distance from the mid line of the body to the shoulder (expansion) and the lat pulls the humerus down. There are so many ways to complete the shot and follow through, however, that it is hard to say what is and is not a natural response. Most people just pull through with the shoulder if they pull through at all. Even for some of those it might be a natural response depending on what combination of muscles they are using.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Based on my personal experience if the bow hand elbow is up at shoulder level after release, the string hand elbow will be up around the shoulder level too because the natural travel distance from anchor to where fingers stop is far shorter than what we think. If it was not like this the "dead release" wouldn't be possible. Jim Ploen had a video talking about the symmetry if I am remembering right. I call it the natural tendency of the body to balance itself under the shock and nothing balance quicker than both elbows at shoulder level - and they are already around there. After release "the structure" is not falling apart without warning unless there is a command telling you to reach another point in space to end the shot. But this is not important and that minute is not what he actually is preaching as final execution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts