Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I was watching today and when he went into "plug mode", he at first said, " you have to use the DDW powder to stay scent free", and then he said, " use the powder all over your body and you will be extra scent free".

Truly priceless stuff here.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it just annoys me a bit when these guys claim something they know is not possible, all in an effort to make a buck.

While I don't mind a guy plugging a product (like a bow) that they truly believe in, it is a bit immoral to make a living at tricking people into to buying something when you know you are making a false claim.

Yea, extra scent free, kinda like extra impossible.

In this respect Tom Nelson is no different than say Benny Hinn (miracle healer); duping people out of their money for your own profit.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Who is the bigger fool when it comes to "snake oil"?

·
bow nut
4,699 Posts
I hunted with him in Kansas about 10 years ago. He was a real nice guy, very down to earth. I guess they do what they have to in order to keep the sponsors happy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Have you seen where they manufacture the DDW products.Its a really small orange building almost seems like a joke I laughed when I saw it in KC.I can just imagine them in there mixing it in the 55 gal barrels.Making millions.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
In this respect Tom Nelson is no different than say Benny Hinn (miracle healer); duping people out of their money for your own profit.
:D We get the privalege of watching Benny Hinn here as well, 6am, so I watch it before work. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, but people believe what they want to believe, marketing and word of mouth is a big player in that one

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
I guess they do what they have to in order to keep the sponsors happy.
And there is the problem. They willingly say whatever they feel will make them a dollar. Often probably what they're told to say.
But either way no better than the common con artist

IMO for some of the garbage they promote they need sued and held legally accountable for their willful misleading of the public

Many of us are too savy to be taken by it. Many are not. And how many millions are spent by gullible wives and girlfriends buying gift?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Used to really enjoy the show, but its kind of become a joke since he's starting plugging DDW and Rage every three seconds. The best one was when he suggested that "if fixed blades aren't flying well in your bow, just shoot rage". You think a responsible sportsman might suggest making sure you're bow is in tune first.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
:plain:"EXTRA" SCENT FREE :plain:
DDW was once a sponsor for Nathan Jones as well..:chortle:
DDW is now sponsor for Tom Nelson :faint:
Rage is a sponsor for Tom Nelson :confused:
Grim Reaper was a sponsor for Tom Nelson and he said they were the best and only broadhead he trusted. :chortle: :chortle:
What scent company is it this year VS-1 and what optics company, bow etc etc is it? :noidea: It most likely depends on who is going to be the biggest $$ cow this coming year.

To give him a little bit of a break though he is truely no different than any of the other TV hunters as they make their living promoting products. I know of hunters who have bailed on sponsors for more $ and sponsors who have bailed on hunters for hunters with better ratings.

Enjoy the 3-5 minutes of hunting in these shows and then go out and buy the product you have faith in using. :wink:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And there is the problem. They willingly say whatever they feel will make them a dollar. Often probably what they're told to say.
But either way no better than the common con artist

IMO for some of the garbage they promote they need sued and held legally accountable for their willful misleading of the public

Many of us are too savy to be taken by it. Many are not. And how many millions are spent by gullible wives and girlfriends buying gift?
Yep, that's what was going on in the lawsuit against the activated carbon companies; (Scentlok and Scentblocker), and those who promoted them, many knowing that the regeneration thing was a hoax; but they went ahead and continued on with the lie nevertheless.

Like you said "many are taken in by it". Yep, savvy but con artist like marketing, combined with dreams of monster bucks, has a good portion of hunters believing in the impossible (scent free). Sad but true. Many are coughing up lots of dinero for that impossibility.

When these guys take the dollar to "willingly promote what they know to be false", lets just hope that conscience will catch up to them in their lifetime.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used to really enjoy the show, but its kind of become a joke since he's starting plugging DDW and Rage every three seconds. The best one was when he suggested that "if fixed blades aren't flying well in your bow, just shoot rage". You think a responsible sportsman might suggest making sure you're bow is in tune first.
What? "reponsible sportsman"; who dat? Seriously though; good point. With these guys, responsibilty goes out the window when they agree to lie about product.

Oh yea, Tom was being real responsible when he said " extra scent free". Priceless!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DDW was once a sponsor for Nathan Jones as well..:chortle:
DDW is now sponsor for Tom Nelson :faint:
Rage is a sponsor for Tom Nelson :confused:
Grim Reaper was a sponsor for Tom Nelson and he said they were the best and only broadhead he trusted. :chortle: :chortle:
What scent company is it this year VS-1 and what optics company, bow etc etc is it? :noidea: It most likely depends on who is going to be the biggest $$ cow this coming year.

To give him a little bit of a break though he is truely no different than any of the other TV hunters as they make their living promoting products. I know of hunters who have bailed on sponsors for more $ and sponsors who have bailed on hunters for hunters with better ratings.
Enjoy the 3-5 minutes of hunting in these shows and then go out and buy the product you have faith in using. :wink:
And that is what is so sad about the way our sport is being portrayed .

Many of these guys were "real" hunters at one time, just like you and me, and some have given up being "a responsible sportsman", to take the dollar.

I guess the real question remains; how many of us would throw our scruples and morals to the wind to do the same.

"extra scent free"; sorry it's just so stupid it's funny. Yea Tom; you did say that. Kinda revealing, isn't it?

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
it something that you just have to deal with on a regular basis.

i mean....we all know that if you spray down with Axe body spray...the women arent going to come crawling either...but people still buy it in hopes that a girl might like it

advertising and promotion is tricky...but they wouldnt do it unless it worked :wink:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Gotta love the marketing... Just wonder how many people went out and bought that stuff after seeing that!:wink:

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
the term "professional hunter" is tossed around too much. That term would indicate that these people hunt for a living or as a profession. That just really isn't the case. These people are salesmen/women who advertise products while they hunt/shoot/whatever. Its really as simple as that. Without naming any names(which I could'nt effectively do anyway), 99.9% of the so called "professional hunters could not "hunt for a living". Can they hunt good? Yeah, some probably can, but most are salespeople in the hunting product industry. The most favorable characteristic of most are they are either favorable to the eye(I'm only judging the chics!!) or great salespeople, or entertaining to watch which keeps peoples attention. All of these characteristics are favorable for what????? To be a good salesperson. And that is fine. But call it what it is. Some are great people, I'm sure.

Professional hunter is someone that there lives are dependant on there ability to hunt, not sale themselves or a product.

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,657 Posts
Yea, extra scent free, kinda like extra impossible.

I agree no way to even get close to being "scent free" let alone "extra scent free" -what a crock!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts