Archery Talk Forum banner

Tone Mapping

514 5
Has anyone played around with tone mapping? I was messing around tonight for the first time. I kinda like it.

Original

Tone

Original

Tone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Tone mapping? Haven't heard of it, but the result gives an effect that simulates the look of HDR photos.

· Registered
38,292 Posts
...one google search later...

Oh, tone mapping is used in HDR...

So are your examples HDR or non HDR tone mapping?

· Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are non-HDR pics. I have the D-40 and it doesn't have bracketing, so HDR is a pain in the ars for me to do. I was looking at HDR pics on Flickr and came across tone mapping. Very east to do and the results can be just as good as HDR.

· Registered
1,591 Posts
These are non-HDR pics. I have the D-40 and it doesn't have bracketing, so HDR is a pain in the ars for me to do. I was looking at HDR pics on Flickr and came across tone mapping. Very east to do and the results can be just as good as HDR.
Have you thought about shooting in RAW and then using Lightroom (or the RAW program of your choice) to create three different files with the different exposures? I have a D40 also and without a tripod, this is the best method I have come across for HDR.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Let me help you out and say, any camera can bracket.
Just put it in Manual and set the shutter and aperture for a correct exposure.
Take the picture then dial the shutter to over expose by a stop or 2 then shoot again. Then dial to under expose the same amount that you overexposed. then you have your 3 bracketed exposures.
of course you will need to do this from sticks.

HDR= High dynamic Range.
Adding a halo to your subject does not come close to a HDR image which increases the range of light levels between black and white.

Just my opinion. :)

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.