Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I just joined as you can see from my post count. I introduced myself in the New member forums. I have a ton of questions and I'm going to just lay em right out and hope to get some answers as I'm very eager to learn.

1) My Peep keeps turning on me and the string is obstructing my view. Not sure what its technical term is but I have the little round circle peep which is sandwiched into the string split 3 ways. I wanted to switch to the type with the hose. I wasn't sure if I could do this myself or not or if its possible to do since my string is split into 3 pieces for the current peep and the other peep requires the string to be split into only 2 pieces. Any help? I planned on taking it to a bow shop but thought I'd ask.

2)How do you know when its time for a new string? I would hate for my string to break. I Imagine it could do some damaged to my arms & pretty little face.

I Will leave it at that for this thread. I Don't want to overwhelm you guys with too many ?'s on my first post lol. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
Hello there. I just joined as you can see from my post count. I introduced myself in the New member forums. I have a ton of questions and I'm going to just lay em right out and hope to get some answers as I'm very eager to learn.

1) My Peep keeps turning on me and the string is obstructing my view. Not sure what its technical term is but I have the little round circle peep which is sandwiched into the string split 3 ways. I wanted to switch to the type with the hose. I wasn't sure if I could do this myself or not or if its possible to do since my string is split into 3 pieces for the current peep and the other peep requires the string to be split into only 2 pieces. Any help? I planned on taking it to a bow shop but thought I'd ask.

2)How do you know when its time for a new string? I would hate for my string to break. I Imagine it could do some damaged to my arms & pretty little face.

I Will leave it at that for this thread. I Don't want to overwhelm you guys with too many ?'s on my first post lol. Thanks for any help.
Congrats on joining the forum.....this place is a lot of fun.

What type of bow do you have? Do you have factory strings? The reason being is some bows come equipped with much better strings than others and your peep will not rotate once the string is "shot in." Also....with todays top shelf string makers there is no need to shoot a peep with a tube. It is loud and robs speed from your setup. I would recommend a peep that splits the center of the string like the G5 meta peep or many others. These peeps once set properly don't rob too much speed and they work extremely well.....much better than the peep you shoot now. Also...are you a release shooter? That makes it much easier if so......

If you happen to have a bow which has crappy factory strings, the easiest thing to do if you can't get your peep to stay in place is to replace the strings with a good after market brand.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If your peep is the one taht splits your string into 3 parts, get a new one.

it sucks.

Get a G5 meta peep to get you started.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Get a G5 meta peep to get you started.
I like and use G5's, and have had equally good luck with Tru Peeps for many years. Both will need to be set up properly to achieve good peep alignment.

With a stable string, you can put a turn in the string in the direction that corrects the "out of rotation" issue. You can also use a T.R.U. nok to maintain peep alignment. Properly installed, your loop can also do that.

Of the options, the rubber tube alignment is the least favorite of mine, but a lot of guys use them successfully year on year. Properly adjusted, an easy thing to do, they will align the peep on the worst of strings. They also have a habit of dying at inappropriate times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment I have a Buckmaster Ultramag. I purchased this used so I'm not certain if the string is OEM or not. I Plan to upgrade to a new Hoyt next year but for now this is all I have. Any comments on that bow? Is it a POS? Its pretty accurate for me. Actually yesterday I split an arrow down the center @ 30 yards. First time I've done that.

Anyhow, I'm going to take my current bow to a shop this week and get a new string as this one is showing some signs of wear and I need the new peep anyhow. I decided to do this after viewing a thread on here yesterday about a bow string that busted. I like to keep my face & arms intact.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another option could be a no peep, some people like them and some don't, just an option, also keeping the string waxed will prolong the life of the string, if premature wear is an issue. I don't know how much you know or how new you are to archery, just some options.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts