Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REMEMBER BEING CAUGHT UP IN THE "SPEED WAR" A COUPLE YEARS BACK - FOUND THAT THE MORE HAIRSPLITTING I DID TO SPEED THINGS UP, THE MORE COMPLICATED I MADE MY SETUP AND IT STARTED TO TAKE A LITTLE OF THE FUN AWAY. I'M NOT BASHING TECHNOLOGY, JUST STARTING TO THINK THAT SOME GADGETS AND ACCESSORIES ARE FOOLING PEOPLE.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE FEEL THAT MAYBE WE ARE MAKING MOUNTAINS FROM MOLEHILLS WITH WITH ALL THIS TECHNOLOGY? DON'T GET ME WRONG, I SHOOT A PSE PRIMOS, COPPER JOHN SIGHT, SIMS STABILIZER AND NAP REST. DIFFERENCE IS THAT I KNOW THAT ALL THE TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORLD WON'T MAKE ME A BETTER SHOOTER OR A HUNTER IF I CAN'T PUT THE ARROW WHERE IT BELONGS:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Amen BKL.

Good post. I was doing the same back some years ago. I am a firm believer in KISS technology now. Keep It Simple Stupid! The less screws, gadgets, and worry/complications, the better chance to enjoy myself. I have a good bow, simple v-up rest, a good optic pin sight, and I PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

·
Registered
585 Posts
BKL,oh! absolutely.There are always those folks that will dick around with anything,just for the sake of it.These guys have some influence on newer archers for awhile till they get sick of replacing this and that and decide to get down to serious bowhunting.There are some(few) who can do both.I have a guy who comes into the shop on a regular basis,he shoots a very high speed bow with every type of speed oriented gadget and things to quiet the thing down.The bow looks like a warthog with a bad case of the hives,we kid him about it constantly.He has only been bowhunting 3 years and has wounded and lost about 5 deer and actually managed to kill one last season...at 10 yards,good thing he shootin 300+fps or he might have missed that one:D He's also very young,early twenties.You can sell anything with speed to the young.If you could somehow connect the word speed to a dog turd,you could sell millions of them to younger customers:D All kidding aside,your right,there is a sweet spot,a moderate combo of just enough speed and stealth that makes it all work in the woods.But speed sells so it ain't goin away soon.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Excellent post. I was thinking along the same lines. Its crazy how things have spiraled for speed and gadgets. It seems like with the evolution of the newer bows, tuning has gone into the dificulty of rocket science(or at least these boards make me think so). I've never had a problem getting my bow set up and keeping it that way. You buy it from the store and they set things up. When you get home you make a few adjustments and you were good to go. Now you got guys buying several different arrow shafts with several different b-heads shooting all combos to see what flies best. Shooting through paper, with fletchings, w/out fletchings, this rest, that rest etc. Instead of getting easier it has turned into an endless effort that requires countless hours nad 3 jobs to pay for. I just don't understand.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
There is nothing wrong with talking about the new equipment. If you have enough experience hunting, you know what will work and what doesn't. I see all sorts of new gadgets that I think are absolutely insane, but some are useful. I can make that decision for myself.

BTW, I setup my bow for hunting, not the 3-D course. So if it a particular product doesn't make for a better hunting bow, you won't find me shooting it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:) I thought I would chime in here. As a little boy I started out with a hickory bow that had nothing but my hand as a arrow rest. As time moved on I as did many got caught up in the gadget and gimmick war. Through the years I spent tons of money on things--some that helped and, some that was of no real value. I am not going to bash anybody here about technology. If you like hi-tech thats fine. As for me back in 1996 I opted to go back to a moderate traditional style. A custom recurve and it has a elevated rest and single sight pin. Took a few deer with and love things simple. I even learned to make strings. The problem I had as a young lad was MIS-INFORMATION-- I had to learn many things the hard way as not many people I knew hunted with a bow except my uncle and cousin. As I said you will never hear me bash anybodies set up be it the latest thing on the market or traditional. I just opted to go back to my roots a little bit. As the above reply said I not only agree but live the KISS principle when it comes to archery. I am a mechanic by trade and, subscribe to the idea that when you get somthing working well--LEAVE IT ALONE--unless things really need to be looked at.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Go DT

Can I get in on the selling of the dog turds........need new product..........lol.........DT,,,,,,,,,,,:D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Olddog48,

Kildog said you were good at following things with a bucket....

Have we got a job for you.....:D :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
Got you

Kildog knows what I use a 5 gallon bucket for.............:D :p

·
Registered
293 Posts
ooooooooobaby

Java after catching all the **** I have to work with a few little dog turds will be a small thing.........after all I have to bunk with Kildog, Muddog, Kurdog and Arkie...........lol...:D :D :p

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ditto Deerslayer1.

As for Olddog48 chasing turds? I think he does that for a living.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It's gotten to the point where it seems like alot of guys around here NEVER have a bad day, just their gadgets coming loose are at fault. Thats the excuse anyway.:confused: IMHO it's gettin' way to mechanized. My rifle is less complex than most bow set ups are these days. My bow has a rest and a small stabilizer for balance and it shoots just fine. If I miss, it was MY fault, not the equipments! With dedication AND concentration we can all shoot good, no matter the gadgets. (or lack there of):) Happy Huntin'

·
Registered
168 Posts
i had to go through my speed phase a few years ago. bought a fury(actually bought 2) and it's a very accurate and fast bow. problem is that it's a little loud for my tastes to take into the woods. now i just use it for target shooting. i still love that bow since it's the easiest one i've got to split arrows with.
i've gone to a slower speed with a heavier arrow for stealth and k.e. and am a happier hunter. it seems as if the trends now are going backwards as more people realize how forgiving their old bows were to shoot accurately. look at how many bow companies are going back to a more round wheel as an option on some of their bows.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
For the guys who shoot traditional gear, I think thats great. I love stick bows (only shot one small buck so far).

However, I found that I spent MORE time thinking about my stick bow, and definitely much more time shooting to become proficient with it, than I did with my compound! Even if we all shot longbows, we would still be obsessing about what variety Cedar shaft flew best, or which turkey flight feathers made the best fletching. Lets face it, no matter what gear we use . . . we all got a problem :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts