Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to an area that I posted about a few weeks ago. It is essentially a 10 acre island of woods that is surrounded on all sides by crop fields, two in rice and two in beans. I began by walking around the woods on the outside edges of the woods looking to cut some tracks and see if I could find some trails that they were traveling, where they were entering the woods, etc, etc... Here's an image of where its at.

The fields are marked as what is in them. I marked two trails(the long red lines) where I believe that the deer are coming from and working out into those fields and back into the woods to bed down. I found a ton of tracks and some trails back into the woods where the ditch splits the northen bean and rice field in half, and theres a nice semi-open area where I believe the deer are congregating. I found a ton of tracks going back up the ditch bank as well. I circled the spot where I think I'm gonna start out trying to hunt. What do you guys think? Any tips or better ideas? If you need a more enlarged picture, just tell me and I'll see what I can do!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a close up of where I think I'm going to hunt. The dots are where I found a ton of deer tracks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another spot where I think they may be going to feed on beans... I'm thinking they are congregating in the corner of the field and then walking down the edge of the woods through the beans... The reason I chose the spot I did was because of all the tracks that were present. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
if the beans are tall enough and the wind is right, a ground blind in the corner of the bean field perhaps would be an option? although would that be too far from where they are congregating? I cant tell distances from your map but that looks like it might be too far of a shot? But in fields i have pondered ground blinds on the field side rather than in the trees. I am fairly new to hunting so I am not sure about this, just a thought

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
come on guys give me some advice on what you see!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
where i have the green line from the beans to the rice, what is that if anything that runs through the woods?? I would look at the area I have the green square in for a stand location also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really not sure if that is anything or not. It may just be some small clearings through the woods. The only problem with the stand there is that it is a pretty active road, and I don't know if the deer will be that close to it? What do you think?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back in tonight and put out some corn and deer cocaine out in that corner clearcut in the woods. I'm hopin that they hit the deer cocaine hard like they did last year. We'll see on sunday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts