Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that just because the competition shoots (pro shooters) use a bow it makes it best? Do you think if all pro archers used say bear bows they would be more popular? Are pro's just using mathews/hoyt/bowtech because that's who pays them?

·
Registered
723 Posts
no if i was a pro i would go for the fame first money second. and i would shoot what ever bow is going to get me there and if you are that good you are going to get paid

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I think the TOP pros wouldn't shoot something they didn't think would provide them the highest quality and best possible chances of shooting their best scores. That being said, I do think there is an advantage to buying the BEST equipment you can, not necessarily the most expensive, just whatever is the best for the individual.

Of course, if they can get paid to shoot for a company like Hoyt, that consistently puts out some of the most respected target bows, why wouldn't they. It would take a lot of money for one of the top pros to start shooting a Bear Truth 2 I would assume. No slant at Bear, they make great hunting bows.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I have shot in the ASA Open Pro class and I can tell you that money talks and you know the rest. This isnt 100% true all of the time, but close. If Mathews and Hoyt decided to cut 100% of their tournament funding and lets say that Bear offered to pay all expenses plus double winnings, then what do you think would happen. We shoot for fun and for the love of the sport, but at the end of the day its all about money. Pretty much just common sense.

Most want to shoot a bow that they like best for sure, but most can shoot well with almost any top bow.

What makes a bow a top of the line bow is the quality of the parts. Nothing else. A bow is the sum of really only a few parts. The best parts equals the best bow if you take away the human preferences.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Of course it is about money. Just like any of us if we were good enough to shoot at that level we would shoot for the company that pays the most sure. But we would also shoot for the company whose product we are able to shoot the most consistant to give us the best choice to end up on the podium.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Of course it is about money. Just like any of us if we were good enough to shoot at that level we would shoot for the company that pays the most sure. But we would also shoot for the company whose product we are able to shoot the most consistant to give us the best choice to end up on the podium.
Good post. TRUE

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It's about money to a degree. But the top guys are not going to switch to a bow they feel is inferior. They need to have equipment that enforces their confidence. They need equipment that is going to give them the feel and performance that puts them on the top.

Have you ever shot a bow that you just didn't feel good with? Have you ever shot one that just didn't shoot as good as your old bow did? These guys make a living shooting a bow and they need to be confident in what they are shooting. And you better beleive they have all had bows that they didn't like or shoot as well.

You will see some changes this year, with Mathews picking up a big dog or two from Hoyt. I know of one for sure. These guys are very talented and can out shoot most anyone on this board with nearly any bow off the rack. But they are not shooting against us. They are shooting against the best in the country and world. They want every edge and shread of confidence they can get because that's how they get win.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
"But the top guys are not going to switch to a bow they feel is inferior."

I understand where you are coming from , but I have to disagree. Many have done this for one reason or another. Mainly money.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
"But the top guys are not going to switch to a bow they feel is inferior."

I understand where you are coming from , but I have to disagree. Many have done this for one reason or another. Mainly money.
I agree BUT,they will not switch if they think it will cost them a chance at winning.They may not like the bow they go to as well as what they are leaving but they still feel they have a good chance of winning with it.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Winning a trophy means O. Trophies wont pay the bills guys.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Yep, it does. Getting money for not winning is even better. Think about it. I have shot 38 up in this division and miss the shootdown

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Yep, it does. Getting money for not winning is even better. Think about it. I have shot 38 up in this division and miss the shootdown
I know a few pros personally and this discussion has come up.It is true,money talks but you know as well as I,winning pays more than not winning.Contingency money has forced many top shooters to jump ship.BUT,they do it with the assumption they can still win with the other brand,otherwise,what good would moving do.

Cousins isn't leaving Hoyt,unless he thinks he will still win because winning is what pays his bills.MOST brands offer a bow he could win with but not all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What I know about professional archery is little but I do know that in any sport there is something that sets one professional athlete apart from the next. What sets them apart is what sits on top of their shoulders or above the neck. In golf, tennis, or any other sport it all comes down to nerves! Each athlete has highly engineered equipment and amazing ability but it's the brain that separates.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
What I know about professional archery is little but I do know that in any sport there is something that sets one athlete apart from the next. What sets them apart is what sits on top of their shoulders or above the neck. In golf, tennis, or any other sport it all comes down to nerves! Each athlete has highly engineered equipment and amazing ability but it's the brain that separates.
Very intelligent post Sir. Its between the ears that the money is earned.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Example

Mathews gets the most shooters because Mathews puts out the most money for contengency and to have shooters shoot for them. Follow the money you will see the most pros where it is best. Why else be a pro? Because a top shooter could still go to Vegas and win whether he was a pro or not if he wanted. He shoots for a company for the money to help cover the cost of entry fees and hotels , ect.. Also he shoots the best bow for whatever company because either gets it free or for a very very good price. WHy buy the bottom end bow if you can get the top for little or no money? I know I would shoot the best if I had the option.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It's the shooter that makes the bow. That's why the manufacturers are willing to shell out money to get the better shooters to use their bows.

The handful of top pro shooters that I've met personally could take any bow that will hold together and be set to their draw length and quickly get that bow shooting good enough to beat 99% of the rest of us.

Outdoor Sooner has it right. It's the knowledge, skills & mental discipline that sets them apart from average shooters. The bow is secondary.

In fact, IMO the bow is even less important than the arrows. After all, the old saying "Accuracy is in the arrows" is true more often than not.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'll go along with some of these...I will agree mostly with Lee...But alot of other Co's don't offer bows condusive to tournament shooting(longer ATA, BH, etc.) Bear doesn't offer a bow that the top pro's would even consider a bow worth trying for tournament archery. Several Co's are strictly interested in the "Hunting Market" which out number the "Tournament Market" by a long ways.
I think that if a Co. like Bear wanted to, they are large enough and strong enough to offer some tournament type bows and get some great shooters to shoot them and "make a go of it"..JMO

·
edthearcher
6,493 Posts
pro shooters

how much do you guys think a pro shooter makes, you got to be kidding. dont give up your day job if you want to be a pro archer. some pro shooters still pay for there bows yes at a reduced rate. some even but very few get there bows for free, and I mean very few get them for free. now talk about money shoots and how much they make, than subtract food,travel, hotel, shooting fees, net profit about zero. yes they even get a break on there arrows. yes I know a lot of top shooters and one was a world champion 2 years in a row. they all work most not even in the archery bussiness. yes I believe most of them that I have known could even cut off a tree limb and make there own arrows and out shoot most of us. there mind control and concetration is superior to most of us. you can take a local 300 shooter, send him to the nationals or vegas shoot and most would fall on there faces. why the mind game and pressure is something else. most of the pros that I have know are in this game for one reason, its there love of archery

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts