Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Hamskea Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to think I need to finally start to use Topographical or aerial maps to better scout my hunting area, which is the better choice? Is there a site that offers free maps online that are of good quality? My next questions is can someone give me some advise and/or perhaps a site that explains what I need to look for once I'm actually looking at one?

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
You can also ge the DeLorme Topo USA cd set and print your own maps at different scles and levels of detail.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Use both. Maps are the best way to find water, food ect. Heres a link to the best free maps that I have found. I see your from Ohio so I got a head start for you. The link is to Portsmouth but just navigate your way to your honey hole.

It helps to have dsl/cable. Remeber to play with the zoom and once you find your spot with the topo then click on aerial. Look for drainages, benches, bowls and ridges. Then you can click the download option and save to your computer.

Buy some waterproof printer paper. Print one side topo and the other side aerial, highlight gametrails, rubs, sign ect. That paper makes great maps. If the link doesnt work try terraserver-usa.com.........Bob

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=16&x=25&y=334&z=17&w=2

·
Registered
350 Posts
My fav is the TOPO! series from National Geographic.

The selling point for me is that the new england set is 10 disks. With DeLorme and others it's only 1 or 2, IIRC.

They use a 24,000:1 scale in the national geo software. It's a much better level of detail than the others.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My fav is the TOPO! series from National Geographic.

The selling point for me is that the new england set is 10 disks. With DeLorme and others it's only 1 or 2, IIRC.

They use a 24,000:1 scale in the national geo software. It's a much better level of detail than the others.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Anybody know where I can get topo maps overlaid with the MGRS grid system? All I can ever find is UTM and Lat/Long.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Panzer

What are you going to do, call in artillery fire on your deer?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have a hard time making sense of these maps, I am great at picking out good looking areas on aerial photos, but does anyone have any good common sense ways to approach these topo's. I cant tell whether the area I am looking at is high ground or low ground :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
wk

Your elevation lines are labeled at every 100 feet. If you trace the darker lines around, you will find an elevation on it. Then go to the next dark line and find the elevation on it. If it increases then your going up hill, decreases then down hill. Check out this site for info on reading topo maps.

http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~dha5446/topoweb/guide.html

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
So the farther apart the lines, the flatter the ground, be it high or low? The closer the lines, the steeper the terrain?

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes. you are getting it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
blindman said:
Panzer

What are you going to do, call in artillery fire on your deer?
LOL, no I just believe in sticking with what you know and I've been using MGRS for almost 14 years. It's also a lot easier to use than lat/long since each digit is equal to 1000, 100, 10, ect meters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah but GPS is the way to go when you pick a place to scout. Plus you can find you your way to your stand without a flash light.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
*wk* said:
I have a hard time making sense of these maps, I am great at picking out good looking areas on aerial photos, but does anyone have any good common sense ways to approach these topo's. I cant tell whether the area I am looking at is high ground or low ground :confused:
Somewhere I have a digital copy of FM 3-25.36 Map Reading and Land Navigation. It tells you everything you need to know plus some you don't and breaks it down into really simple terms. If you want a copy let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. It's a pretty big file though and you'll need Microsoft Word to view it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was just looking that manual on the net and have not been able to find it. I would like to recieve a copy for my son. It's a great resource.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I don't know if you have found what your looking for yet? Bot, terraservr.microsoft is what I use for topo and aerial views.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
sorry a made a type-o terraserver.microsoft is the site and go to search for a place enter your nearest city and state and go to work p.s make sure you go to large image on the left side of the screen .I find it easier to use topo function to find your hunting area then click over to aerial view to really zoom in.. good luck p.m. me if you have trouble I use these things a ton!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
blindman said:
I was just looking that manual on the net and have not been able to find it. I would like to recieve a copy for my son. It's a great resource.
PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. That goes for anyone else who wants a copy. I can't do it until tomorrow though because it's on my other computer and I won't be at home until tomorrow morning.

BTW it's a .pdf file not Word and it's a 28mb self-extracting zip file.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Hamskea Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
blindman, That is a very informative site, I saved a copy and keep reading it hoping it will stay in my thick head :D . Thank you..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts