Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had surgery to repair a torn labrum willing to tell me what to expect as far as the recovery time to shoot 60 lbs again? Mine is left shoulder, right handed to it is bow arm.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a posterior tear in my right shoulder (right handed shooter). I tore it in college while pitching. Opted not to have the surgery as i was told that recovery would be 12 months until i could resume all normal activities. It still hurts from time to time, but i can still pull a bow no problems. How did you injure it, what type of tear is it, and have you shot a bow with the injury.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Took me about a full year to be pain free, it is a very hard injury to not keep on reaggrivating, also don’t get discouraged through the first 8 months it did not seem like it was getting better.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I injured it in 1980 trying to draw an elephant bow that was to heavy for me. I have had numerous cortisone shots over the years when it would get inflamed. I can shoot my bow but can't practice as much as I like. If shot more that 10 times a day I pay for it the next few days. I have put up with the pain and limited mobility since 1980. Can't sleep on my left side. I just want to be able to shoot 50-100 arrows a day. It's what I love to do and I feel like I'm not practicing enough to assure I hit where I aim. I'm not a bad shot, but not near as accurate as I used to be.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Tore mine similar to Kevin by throwing while playing softball. I went to the Dr and they sent my to physical therapy to strengthen some muscles you don't normally use around it. That ended up working for me without surgery. Still hurts a bit off and on. Mine had been torn a couple years or so before I went to the Dr. I'd baby it then would start to feel better and I'd retear it. I shoot traditional and compounds so I started back with a low poundage recurve, moved to my wife's low poundage compound and then back to my compound. Took 6-8 months for me.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
I had mine at the end of turkey season May and I was back hunting in November. I went down to 50lbs and haven't gone back

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I had mine rebuilt 1 1/2 years ago and never have got above a 38lb longbow since.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I tore mine 2 years ago (45 y/o). Had surgery mid March. Be prepared for a very painful rehab but if you want a full recovery listen to your dr and rehab therapist and do want they say. No more/no less. There will be days it feels pretty good, don’t over do it. This recovery is a marathon not a sprint. By September my dr finally allowed me to try to draw my bow (60lb Elite). For weeks I could only draw the bow once a day and it hurt like hell! That fall I ended up hunting wit my daughters xbow. By the next spring I was back to shooting my bow pain free with 12+ arrows a day so a full year till I was back to what I was before the injury. You will get better just don’t rush it.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If and I say IF u do PT the way you should. It will take 1 year. After 6 months I started pulling from 10 pounds with 2 pound increment. I won't kid you, it's a *****

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I assist on these surgeries regularly. Everybody's recovery time differs.
It's dependent on many factors, such as, your physical condition before surgery, age, weight, if you smoke, use alcohol excessively, diet, pain tolerance and the skill of your surgeon.
Sticking to the post operative plan is imperative. Listen to the surgeon and especially your Physical Therapist.
If you try to be a He- man before your fully recovered and pull 60# on your bow, your going to screw up that surgery and it's much harder to repair a second time. You only have so much tissue to work with.
Good luck to you! I hope you heal well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am a physical therapist and post surgical orthopedics is my speciality. With it being your bow arm that makes it a bit tougher. Where the tear is and how big makes a difference but I will start simulating drawing a bow with SOME labels repairs as early as 3-4 months and some are released to activity as tolerated by 6 months. Every dr is different, I have some drs that are ok with baseball/softball players starting a return to throwing program at 4 months. I expect my patients to have full passive and active range of motion by 4 months and able to perform light gym based strengthening. Send a pm if u have any specific questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had that surgery done on both shoulders. SLAP repair on right and left, 3 tears each side...The right one happened senior year in HS so I had no obligations and was able to go to physical therapy 4x a week. Feels good as new, it took about 8 months to feel like I had FULL strength back. Left shoulder I had done exactly 5 years apart from my right, wasnt able to do PT, and I was a jerk and went back to training jiu jitsu 4 weeks after surgery and tried to push it and tie my arm in my belt and train with one arm. Helped out my jiu jitsu a bunch, but totally screwed up my shoulder and it is no where near as good as my right surgery. So....if youre able to do the PT, I HIGHLY recommend it. And of course, follow your doctors post-op instructions and dont be a douche like me :cheers:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I had a buddy tear it. He opted out of the surgery because of the recovery time. Best thing he said for it was stretching, a lot. He never stopped his work out routine either.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had mine repaired and my rotator cuff which was almost in two pieces just threads holding it together

I’m was 63 at the time, I’ve had 9 major surgeries in my life including open heart all the rest were orthepedic that shoulder repair hurt worse and longer than all the rest combined

buy a recliner you won’t be able to lay down to sleep for a couple months, and get someone that can be authorized to get you opiate prescriptions you won’t want to go anywhere for a while

that said I did what I was supposed to in rehab and now shoot a 62 lb long bow no problem

I’m 66 now and work out with heavy weights on basic barbell movements without problem in fact I think that’s why I recovered well

it’s rough but worth it IMO

I would say 6 months if you work smart, and PTs are too conservative IMO they were helpful at first but after a while, maybe 90 days ,I had to train for strength

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,750 Posts
I know in baseball anything shoulder related and it's like the plague ! It appears baseball players need a year or more to come back from it. Not that youre a baseball player, but drawing a 60 pound bow does have some exertion. I'd say if it were me, to figure a year, year and a half.

Right now, I have something going on in my left shoulder. I do believe I hurt it SLEEPING ! Seriously. Because now I wake up in the middle of the night sleeping on my left shoulder and it feels like a war is going on in my left shoulder. I'm right handed. With me, I can draw my 70 pound bow no issue. However as I am holding it, the left shoulder gives out here and there so my pins keep moving all over making it real hard ! lol

I'm trying to handle it like I used to do with aerobic type weight movements to push blood in and thru the area hoping to clean it up. It's worked in the past for me in my right shoulder,but so far after 3 months, not much luck. To the Doctor next.

SUX !!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Took me close to a year, and there were times during the recovery that I questioned why I had the surgery because it seemed like it was more painful than before the surgery. Eventually it started feeling better and now it is as good as new.
I will also add that I had torn it several years before having the surgery hoping it would get better... it didn't, it got worse. My quality of life had deteriorated to the point that there were many activities that I could no longer enjoy. I am so glad I bit the bullet and had the surgery.
I had to shoot a crossbow for a season while it healed, but at least I could still hunt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was hit by a car and dragged down the street for over 150 feet while conducting a traffic stop. 2 scopes on the knee and a transplant as well as a torn rotator cuff repair.
Because of the major knee surgery the orthopedic decided to hold off on my shoulder until my knee healed so I had to wait for 18 months to have shoulder surgery.
I had a partial tear that was repaired. I had extensive physical therapy after the surgery, and I was bow hunting with a turned down bow in 10 weeks. My doctor wasn't too happy when I told him though.
I had numerous other knee problems, including two total knee replacements, but no additional problems with my shoulder.
BTW, it was my left shoulder(bow arm) also.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies. I just had knee replacement Tuesday so I have to wait a few weeks before having the shoulder done. Sounds like I will be out of commission for quite a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts