Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned that my rotator cuff is completely torn. Only holding together by a few fragments. Guess all the years of baseball, softball and archery caught up with me. Surgery scheduled for the end of September. 2 weeks in an immobile sling, then rehab. Dr said back to full strength in 3-4 months. Any words of wisdom?:Cry:

·
Registered
402 Posts
That sucks. don't rush the recovery and do the PT religiously.

Hopefully you have a lazy boy recliner that you can sleep in while you are in the sling. Very tough to sleep in a bed for the first 2 weeks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't sleep now, might have to try sleeping in my chair!! Thanx

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
NO BASHING, THIS IS A HELP A FELLOW ARCHER REPLY. Look for a 10 point crossbow if you still want to do the archery season. They have a crank adaptor to cock the crossbow. It will save your shoulder. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PULLING A REGULAR BOW UNTIL CLEARED BY THE DOC. If you rush the shooting you can end that activity perminatly for yourself.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
In 2008 I had major reconstruction of my shoulder (bone spurs removed, bone cut back, RC stitched & reattached everything) I slept in the recliner for over a month. It took 8 months till I could draw my daughter's 30 pound bow. Listen to the docs & pt people, 2 guys at pt didn't & rushed it. They had a second surgery for their efforts & were stiill in pt when I was released.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Yes your dr lied! Your body may not heal that fast. Mine took a full year to get back to 100%. I have a full range of motion. Ask the dr for the ice cooler. He will know what I'm talking about. It was better than my pain pills

·
Registered
13 Posts
What was to be a bone spur surgery, ended with two screws to re-attach Rotator Cuff. Took 5 months to fully recover, do everything Dr tells you and do all PT tells you and all the exercises, no matter how simple they seem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
All I can say is, it will be the worst, most painful, surg you will ever have. I had my right shoulder done 2009. I fell 20' with a ladder stand. Landed on my right shoulder, blew it totally out. Six weeks of wearing a silly sling, with a large type pillow attached, slep in a reclainer chair for the first two weeks due to pain intense when laying flat. Started pulling bow back in three months. Four months back to work, but my type of job wouldn't allow me to go back any sooner. This past May 5, 2011 had my right shoulder done, 1/4 bicep tare, labri tare from 11:00 to 1:00" they said. Off three months, pain again, slig six weeks, chair for two weeks. Hope you like pain pills, the big ones. Good Luck, best to ya

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had impingment of the shoulder(bone spur) repaired the rotator cuff with three anchors in 11 Mar. 2011.
Four weeks with a sling. Very painful PT but I started shooting 20 July and can now draw 48 lbs. Still weak
holding the weight of the bow(bow arm repaired) but it does heal and PT at home is the answer. Good luck
I hope you have a great surgeon.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Like diamond blk ice said it was the most painfull thing I ever had done, & I crushed my femer & foot in an auto accident. Got 7 screws & a rod to hold the 7 pieces of my femer together & that wasn't even close to shoulder surgery.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In 2008 I had major reconstruction of my shoulder (bone spurs removed, bone cut back, RC stitched & reattached everything) I slept in the recliner for over a month. It took 8 months till I could draw my daughter's 30 pound bow. Listen to the docs & pt people, 2 guys at pt didn't & rushed it. They had a second surgery for their efforts & were stiill in pt when I was released.
I had almost the exact same thing done to my shoulder.It took a complete year before i was 100%

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
You might have to shoot a crossbow until you are completely healed. Just don't rush your progress. Take it easy and do what your doctor tells you.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response to my topic. Little depressed, but anxious to get it over with.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes your dr lied! Your body may not heal that fast. Mine took a full year to get back to 100%. I have a full range of motion. Ask the dr for the ice cooler. He will know what I'm talking about. It was better than my pain pills
My doctor also told me 3-4 months. Don't believe it. Every surgery is different and everybody heals differently. Took me a full year of rehab before I was back to 100% and that is very common for that type of surgery. And I did everything the docs and PT's told me to do. Stretching, ice, strengthening, ice, ice, and more ice.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I had surgery last year, went well, at full speed again. Took 6 month to recover.
Good luck!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks foe everyones advice. I know its going to be a long road ahead.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
hey bud i know my time is coming with all the golf and shooting and fighting i do...ok so i dont mma fight. lol! get better soon and maybe a rotator cuff rehab for archers thread would help us

·
Registered
698 Posts
Like everyone said..it will be a full year to full recovery.Don't try to rush it.Go to all your pt.Had mine done three years ago(after hunting season).I now shoot 58#.More than happy ,I had a great surgeon.I used to shoot a 80# bow,probably didn't help myself there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm about 7 months out right now. Just started shooting a couple of weeks ago, but still no where near 100 %. The worst thing is all the other issues that go along with surgery. Back hurting, losing stabilizer muscles, other shoulder joint so loose from no activity for six months. It sucks listen to your doc ! If they don't put any hardware in you the recovery will be shorter, but still sucks. I'm on surgery # 3.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts