Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey AT guys and gals,

I am interested in making a grip similar to Torqueless grips and I cannot figure out how they dye the wood. I am using American hardwood and I would like to make it look nice by bringing out the grain but also add two different colors plus a protective outer layer. I have done a ton of research in the past few days and I have found dyes which are water based or spirit based. I was thinking that polyurethane may be a good outer coat if it can take a few bumps and bruises. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i assume since you want multicolor you are going to epoxy laminate thin sheets of this together?
I haven't done it but thought if i ever did i would soak the sheets in either food coloring or a water base dye like the RIT brand. Let it dry then epoxy. It would be easy enough to experiment with. after all stains are just dyes and anything water based is going to hold glue better than an oil base.
if you are going to use a solid chunk and just want to bring out the grain in a nice piece of walnut or something, use the Pilkintons Classic Gunstock Finish available from Brownells. I use it and really like it when i finish a gunstock and want to highlight the figure in a piece of walnut.
For a tough urethane finish Brownells also has an aresol Gun Sav'r Custom Oil Gunstock Finish, that i like really well. I used it before to satin finish a laminated M-14 stock. I highly recommend both of these.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
just went to the Brownells website

I got to thinking about it more and did a search on Brownells for dye and they have water soluble wood dye also.
Just to let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Thank you everyone for the idea's. I've never heard of Brownell's before but I checked it out and it has a lot of good stuff. True Oil looks good too maybe it can be used in combination with RIT for coloring?? If this thread stays open I will post results of my contraption.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts