Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Blue Moon
601 Posts
I would've thought that deer would drop in sight. Didn't you find it?

·
Registered
20,642 Posts
Shot looked good. One thing I didn't notice is what kind of broadhead. I tried to pause the video and see and I can't see any blades at all. It actually looks like a field point. Obviously it could be a mechanical but even they have something sticking out. Is it possible that a field point was accidentally used?

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't know buddy. Looked good to me. I usually aim about two inches back and just a shade down from where he hit. Shot looked good to me

·
Registered
17,323 Posts
I say good shoot, but I would have to guess one lung with the quarter away shot. and might of deflected off entrance rib and went even more forward of the other lung.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dang feel sorry for the boy...shot looked like one that I would have been happy with...can't believe that deer didnt die....I wouldn't say that's a bad shot at all especially for that young boy...deer are amazing animals. It just goes to show all of these keyboard professional hunters that sometimes a shot that isn't bad doesn't kill the deer...if anything it might be a little high but I would have thought the deer would have dropped where it first stopped and was standing. Hopefully someone gets him!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Wow. Shot is a tad higher then I would like but still looked like a killing shot

Based on angle I'm guessing 1 lung

Looks like the arrow (bolt) is corkscrewing on way to the deer

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Hmmm.....looked like a pretty dang good shot to me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
wow that bolt had some a crazy flight pattern..

id say when the deer jumped the string it sent that front long deep down in the chest cavity and possibly with that bad bolt flight the bolt deflected back and just nicked the offside lung..

i still woulda thought dead deer. though..

sucks it was a young boys deer. that stinks..

·
Registered
13,129 Posts
The deer ducked about 8-10" and the hit was a bit high…but with the downward angle, I would still expect it to have caught lung. I wonder a bit about the broadhead…it is hard to see, as stated earlier, and there was no blood that I could see in any of the ensuing frames.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
head scratcher for sure. Guessing his physical make up along with the dropping put the arrow a bit high through one lung.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks to me like Compound bow limbs probably hit the side of the window, and sounds like it did also. This would account for poor arrow flight and deer dropping so quickly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That link above shows some of the blood and it looks like lung blood to me. Must have somehow hit one lung and the deer found a way to survive. There are deer hit with WAY worse shots then that that don't live. Poor little guy.

·
Recovering hunting addict
8,297 Posts
Mechanical broadhead failure or field point on the bolt. Either one could fail to kill a deer. If you miss major arteries hemoraging will be not as severe as it would have been with a functional broadhead. Collapsed lung sure - but they can live.

You always hear if you hit'm right with a field point they'll die - the other part of that comment is you have to hit them 'more' right.

It's to bad for that young man because that would have been under normal circumstances a killing shot.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts