Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone had posted "Who makes the toughest arrow", but many times toughness will come with added weight. So please give me your opinions on who is making tough arrows that are also light weight & < 9gpi using a 340 spine?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'd recommend the Easton Axis 9.5 gpi, or Easton Powerflight 9.3 gpi...15gns or so over at 30 " not enough to worry about, arrows start getting thin and flimsy below 9gpi.
I'm a big fan of 400 gn+ to hunt, and 12% or so FOC for target, and not in need of speed. I'd rather hit slow than miss fast. My picks based on hunting and target, if you're strictly target go with Easton lightspeed 8.2 gpi, but not nearly as durable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trophy ridge

Trophy ridge arrows! Im not sure if they are under 9 gpi (cant be far off) but I think these are the toughest arrows I have ever used. love that insert!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
PSE Radial X-Weave 300's....Insanely tough arrows for the weight....Harperman

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I also would go with axis arrows in 9ish goi arrow I love mine I do a lot of read on arrows and I try alot of different ones and they are still the best I have found

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

I would have to say the Easton DOA Flatline it is by far one of the toughest arrows I have ever shot bounced one of a 3-d target it hit the ground & also a rock before it stopped the tip was damaged but the arrow was in perfect shape.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a dozen Easton flatline 340s (8.2gr per inch)this year. 29" arrow with BH right at 393grs. I can't say how tough they are yet as I have only shot them in a target so far but they have been flying great.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Maxima and XWeaves have both served me well and proved to be very tough in the past
+1

If I had to go with one of these over the other, I would go with the X-Weaves. They are lighter, just as accurate, faster, and cost less.

Automan

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Without a doubt the Victory Nano Force! Only one I have broke was shot into a big pig and he carried it 300yds through the Texas brush before rubbing it on an oak tree 3' high and breaking off the last 1/3rd that was sticking out of him! FYI this pig was well over 300lbs!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about arrow components? In my mind an arrow is as strong as it's weakest link, so if the shaft is tough as nails, but the knocks break often or the points or inserts become loose because they fit poorly, that will not make me happy.

Student-Archer made a good point, but if my intention is to use for 3D and other (non-hunting) general use, I really don't need a heavier arrow, yet I don't want too much flex which might affect accuracy?

What are your thoughts on Gold Tip arrows? I started comparing Easton Lightspeed's against Gold Tip XT Hunters, the Gold Tips are a little heavier (.7 gpi), the specs look similar and price is +- $10 per dozen. Thoughts on speed, accuracy, durability and component fit?

·
The Western Triangle
2,231 Posts
Without a doubt the Victory Nano Force! Only one I have broke was shot into a big pig and he carried it 300yds through the Texas brush before rubbing it on an oak tree 3' high and breaking off the last 1/3rd that was sticking out of him! FYI this pig was well over 300lbs!
+2:thumbs_up

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Trophy Ridge Crush ...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have to go with the Easton ST Axis, the smaller diameter and thicker wall are tough as nails.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd recommend the Easton Axis 9.5 gpi, or Easton Powerflight 9.3 gpi...15gns or so over at 30 " not enough to worry about, arrows start getting thin and flimsy below 9gpi.
I'm a big fan of 400 gn+ to hunt, and 12% or so FOC for target, and not in need of speed. I'd rather hit slow than miss fast. My picks based on hunting and target, if you're strictly target go with Easton lightspeed 8.2 gpi, but not nearly as durable.
SA, what are your thoughts on Easton's ST Epic arrows which are the same weight as the Axxis and seem to be both made of the N-Fused carbon shafts at less $ than the Axxis???

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Easton and Carbon Express make the toughest i have found.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Victory has 2 different 350 shafts that are less then 9 gpi.

350 NanoForce at 7.6 gpi
350 VForce at 8.8 gpi

·
Registered
624 Posts
What about arrow components? In my mind an arrow is as strong as it's weakest link, so if the shaft is tough as nails, but the knocks break often or the points or inserts become loose because they fit poorly, that will not make me happy.

Student-Archer made a good point, but if my intention is to use for 3D and other (non-hunting) general use, I really don't need a heavier arrow, yet I don't want too much flex which might affect accuracy?

What are your thoughts on Gold Tip arrows? I started comparing Easton Lightspeed's against Gold Tip XT Hunters, the Gold Tips are a little heavier (.7 gpi), the specs look similar and price is +- $10 per dozen. Thoughts on speed, accuracy, durability and component fit?
I have shot GT's into 2x10's, plywood, dirt, NEVER had one fail!!! Thats at 82 lbs boys!! Went out and used the same arrows to hunt with. Only damage I've ever had on em was from using Luminok's, dented where the wire's contact the arrow. Out of all the ones I have seen used, seen 2 bad ones, from robinhoods!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts