Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
maybe not, but they sure do bend, and then hold that bend....Ive got GT's that are 10yrs old, and they still shoot great.....
They can be straightened, not to hunting standards but put on a judo and stump shoot, no danger if explosion. Ya I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I like Gold Tips and have no complaints.

·
XX78 User
4,965 Posts
Carbon express maximas have been tough for me.

XX78s are plenty tough for hunting...xx15 and above are tough and do not bend like most have you believe.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Another vote for Black Eagle. I'm shooting the Carnivores and abuse them regularly.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
GT ProHunters for me, IMHO they are the best all carbon shafts made

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Gold Tips are a great arrow and very durable. But as far as toughest overall I would have to say that Easton FMJ has the market cornered on that IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who do you think makes the toughest hunting arrow I've heard gold tip and carbon express but I shot 2 reds into a bag target and they just snapped so looking sor a tougher arrow
Hands down the toughest hunting arrow is nitro stinger by arrow dynamics i shoot greens for hunting. They used to advertise that you can shoot them through a cinder block and you can with no damage to the arrow.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have had, gold tip, easton axis and fmj 5mm and dangerous game. All spine around 250 and out of a 90lb hoyt UltraTec and a 84lb RX3. Buy far the strongest arrow has been Day Six. Maybe to heavy for some but the walls are thick and I put them through all kinds of crap.

·
Registered
Mathews V3 27
26 Posts
I’ve never shot Gold Tips before, but now y’all have me curious. For the last 2 years I’ve been shooting VAP Elites. Haven’t had any issues yet.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I’ve never shot Gold Tips before, but now y’all have me curious. For the last 2 years I’ve been shooting VAP Elites. Haven’t had any issues yet.
After shooting VAP's, I'd bet you'd deeply regret switching to GTs, especially their micros. GT's are notorious for inconsistent spines, weights and straightness tolerances. As far as toughness, any carbon arrow will break when shot into rocks and in many other hunting circumstances. I shoot VAPs and VAP TKOs. They're very hard to beat, and GT never will.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I really have not had a problem with any shafts hunting. I've seen many bemans snap. Used beman ics forever. Some of the toughest arrows I've seen as far as hitting hard things and Robin hoods are easton xx75 78 2216 and 2219 and gold tip. I currently shoot gold tip air strike and love them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have been shooting Gold Tip XT Hunters for many years, best bang for the buck. I have never had one break shooting into anything. Shot one into a cinder block one time and it stuck, it didn't break but I trashed it for safety sake. I've been shooting Gold Tip since the 90s. Back then the only place to get them was from Gold Tip themselves. If I have to trash an arrow it is usually because I hit it with another arrow in practice. Having said all this, I haven't shot many other arrows in the last 25 years.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you have arrows that are breaking simply being shot into a bag target, STOP shooting them right now! There is something wrong with them. Contact GT and tell them what's happening.
This is not a matter of "who makes the strongest arrows", there is a manufacturing flaw happening. Or they're super loaded with weight on the tip with too weak of a spine and they're being damaged when shot. Still a dangerous situation going on.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
6 year old post back from the grave.

But since it’s been revived, the toughest are the Bishops! Cheap they are not but back in 2015 the post asked for the toughest.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts