Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a Grizzly bear hunt in BC this May and was wondering what mechaincal broadhead you all would suggest. I was thinking a g5 T3, but have read some poor reviews lately. I shoot a 90# Hoyt Maxxis with a 29.5" draw so penitration shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is finding a head that can withstand the abuse of the high energy bow coupled with the high bone density of a grizzly. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I'd opt for a .300 Win Mag over a mechanical when it comes to Grizzly bear.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Why would you even use a mechanical on something that can eat you for lunch ?

If I wanted to use a mechanical..(which I wouldn't) I would use one of the new stainless Grim Reapers..Just make sure you assemble them correctly as their instructions and video's show how too..If they can blast through a 55 gallon steel drum and come out ok...I would think they would hold up on a bear...but...even then...I would have serious reservations on them...I honestly can't see myself using something that could fail..no matter what is posted about them or any other mechanical head..I plan on using them for my deer hunts...but..If I was spending as much money on a Grizzly Bear hunt...I think I would get some of these heads...and be done with it..http://www.german-kinetics.com/ Now if you have a guide backing you up with a large caliber DG gun that can shoot...that's a bit different...so I might consider using them..but never if I was hunting on my own

That's just me though...

Mac

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Come on October!!!!
3,107 Posts
No mechanical is going to "live" after the shot but the Grim Reapers have one of the thicker main blades .035 and the trocar/razor tip is proven strong. Big plus is the tip protrudes to be more reliable on angled shots. Grizz with a bow is going to be a rush, good luck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Id use Montecs, not that you asked

I dont know what people have been saying but I think that G5 T3 heads are great, and very tough.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
No mechanical is going to "live" after the shot but the Grim Reapers have one of the thicker main blades .035 and the trocar/razor tip is proven strong. Big plus is the tip protrudes to be more reliable on angled shots. Grizz with a bow is going to be a rush, good luck.
Ain't that the truth...It would be one hellofaheadrush...that's for sure..

Mac

·
Design&Hunt
1,732 Posts

Not a grizzly, but he puts it to a black bear with the T3...all stainless and I haven't seen a bad review on them yet...

·
Registered
13,251 Posts
Grim Reapers or Steelheads

·
Registered
180 Posts
Steelheads

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Try out the SOB by Steelforce. It's a bad head! Some of the videos of its toughness are pretty incredible.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Had a friend going on a Kodiak hunt... called the outfitter and asked "Can I bring my .357 Mag as a back up?".. Outfitter replied "Yup, but makes sure you file down the front sight off that thing."... Buddy asked "why?"... Outfitter replied "So when you are empty and the bear takes it away from you and shoves it up your azz it won't hurt as much..."

I would take a 2 bladed heavy, cut on impact BH if I wasn't taking a .338

·
Registered
228 Posts

Not a grizzly, but he puts it to a black bear with the T3...all stainless and I haven't seen a bad review on them yet...
thats not even a big black bear mabey 200lbs a average b.c grizz is 500+ & a big one 700-800lbs.i have shot a few big 4-500lb blacks with 125gr swackers + a bunch of moose & have been flawless for me they kill very fast & angle shots i have had no issues.i have a grizz draw this year so iam trying to do the same as you where are you hunting at in b.c.

·
Registered
779 Posts
ive killed 2 grizzlies and 3 browns and i would not recommend shooting a mechanical. they are too damn big and solid. shoot a fixed blade. last thing you want is the guide to have to shoot your bear with his rifle...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts