Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone wanted to start shooting competitively where would they start?

Local 3D tourneys? Indoor Leagues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have shot in a number or local 3D tournaments. Shoot at home in and outdoors everyday.

I know I am a late starter, but I would like to know how to go about qualifying for the larger tournaments.

·
Registered
392 Posts
with your self.

You can start at the begining, with the most challenging competitor,...YOURSELF..and the place is even easier,....where ever and when ever you pick your bow up to shoot.Yes clubs,and any and all local achery events that have a class or type of form you shoot.IMO...>>---Skip--->(X)

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
KDK

I am no authority on this subject but I'll try and help. Here in N.M., whenever a club is putting on a shoot they usually bring fliers to the archery shops and leave them for people to know what's going on. Some obviously, are just local club shoots, but others are labled as World Qualifiers or qualifiers for other "major" tournaments. Those would be the ones you wanna rock at. Also, I suppose you could call local shops and ask the employee's if they are aware of any of these big time shoots and also get a # for a contact person for the different clubs in your area and ask that person about any "qualifier" shoots that he will be putting on or is aware of. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
FYI, most of those "larger" tournaments have no qualifying requirements. Just pay your registration, show up and shoot at the assigned time. I think IBO, ASA, and FITA Worlds are the only events having some sort of qualification requirement - and they vary greatly in terms of requirements.

Best bet, get out and shoot the leagues and local tournaments so you get familiar with the rules and etiquette and then just jump right. For example, if shooting NFAA State, Sectional and National tournaments you are grouped with your peers (score and equipment style) so its not necessary to be the "best of the best" before attending. Lots of fun, good learning experience and a great way to meet new people.

>>--------->

·
Registered
217 Posts
Start with indoor leagues. Once you have your form down to the point that you can hit at least a 5 on an NFAA blue face out to 35 or 40 yards you will then also be able to win at 3D with some practice on the targets. Targets are the basis of working on shooting form.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks alot for all your advice. I really appreciate it.
I have made some contacts locally over past couple of weeks, and I am going to partner up with a few different people to shoot some indoor leagues, and 3D.

One more question. My 12 year old daughter is very interested in competition also. She has been shooting 3D with me for about 4 years at a number of local tourny's. She has her share of trophies. I am wondering if she is too young to start competeing seriously?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not at all, the more young people we can get shooting the better off the sport will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts