Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on going and competing in the major tournys this year and was wondering what you all think is the ultimate target and 3d bow? all of your opinions are greatly respected as this is the ultimate learning place with the knowledge that is here........would like to hear specific makes and models and why......TEC

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The Cougar III Elite Fury/FuryX should fit your needs with enough speed for 3D and forgiving enough for target. Also look at the Scepter III Straight Fury/FuryX. Also look at the Bowtech Pro 40 Dually and Pat Dually and Hoyt Ultratec and Protec and the Merlin SuperNova and Max 3000. Hope this helps

Timba

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would go with an Ultratec personally. The Ultratec has speed, but keeps the length up and also has a fairly long brace height.

If you don't like that I would go with an Protec. It is quite a bit slower but if you can get your yardage estimation good then the Protec is a great choice with its long brace height and axle to axle length.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Ultratec, but only because I shoot it well. You should head to the proshops and see what feels good to you

I've shot the UT's for a while, I like the combo of speed and forgiveness, which makes up for the space in between my ears:D

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
BowTech Pro40 Dually or Wheely. Both are very accurate and forgiving shooters. The Dually is geared more towards 3D, but is equally at home indoors. The Wheely is more intended for indoors, but has plenty of speed for 3D. The Pro40 is also available in a single cam if that's your preference.

www.bowtecharchery.com

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
bowtech is no indoor target bow...

I looked at BowTech's dually a few months back. Found them to be very unbalanced and super top-heavy. Nobody has ever even had a whiff of an indoor title shooting a BowTech. Put your money on Martin or Hoyt. The UT is a quality bow if you can get used to the grip and the split limbs. I went for the Cougar Fury X and heve never shot better in my life.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Having spent way too much time helping run a range and proshops for years I have come to the conclusion that the Martin bow is the most versatile I have seen. I have seen people win major IBO titles with the same bow they have shot top spot scores and FITA events with. Depending on your draw length, the Cougar 3 or the Scepter 3 can be set up to in at world class levels in all 4 major target venues (3D, spots, field or FITA)

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
emly, granted the BowTechs are more built as 3D/hunting bows. But to say they are not useful as an indoor bow is way off. After only a few times at spots I have no problem shooting 300s with my P40 as set up for 3D, with a short stab & pin sight. Properly set up they are plenty accurate & sweet shooters.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
For me I would agree with Hoytpro. You can't go wrong with the Ultratec but get it setup in DC Pro configuration or XT3000 limbs with a spiral cam. I love my Protec with XT2000 and spirals but rumor has it the Protec is gone for '04.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Tec,

My favorites are...

Merlin Super Nova and Max 3000
Barnsdale Ultimate X
Bowman Accu-Riser II

I like these bows best because, imo, they are a cut above all the rest in craftsmanship.

Sag.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
naturally, I would recommend the bows I'm shooting now, but truthfully you really can't go wrong with any of the bows on the market today. Things to consider are your draw length and the Axle To Axle length of the bows you're considering. You'll want to get a bow that has an Axle to Axle proportionate for your draw length so the bow will fit you better. Brace heigth is something to consider too. Too short of a brace heigth and the bow might be a little more challenging to shoot it accurately. Too long of a brace heigth and you'll sacrafice speed. If you can find a comfortable bow with around 7" of brace heigth you should be just fine. I've got a 26 3/4" draw length and the bow I'm shooting for 3D has a 35" ATA and I'm getting 276 out of it at 58lbs with my CXL-150's. I also shoot a 41" bow and I'm happy with how I shoot it, so there's always an exception to everything; as I mentioned about having an axle to axle that is proportionate to your draw length to get the right string angle. The two bows feel completely different, but they shoot equally well. They both have the same grip and the brace heigth is very close (6.6" & 7") and the mass weight is the same with both bows too. My anchor is the same with each bow, but my peep heigth is different. Take all that with a grain of salt, but if you're relatively new to shooting, a comfortable bow with proportionate dimensions for you will be the better choice. You will eventually find what works best for you. It may take a lot of time and a few different bows to do that, so take the opportunity to shoot as many bows as you can at your local pro shop to help you better decide which bow fits you the best. One recommendation I might make is have the bows setup just as you plan to shoot them (i.e. stabilizers, sight, reast etc.) This will give you a better idea of how the bow really feels to shoot.
HTH

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
emly, BowTech has only been around for about 4 years so keep your eye on them, you might get beat by one soon LOL..:D

·
Grand Master
440 Posts
TEC: Before a specific recommendation should be made we need some additional information. Hieght/Draw/specific uses ect.ect

Take a look at thread started by Monofletch. I just ran it to the top to save typing.(I am lazy).GT & GRIV make some sound points.
be realistic to your use & budget.
:Dee

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am 6 ft 1", 175 lb. my draw is 29 1/8th" and i like to pull somewhere around 55-60 lb. for tourny's. thanks guys, if this changes anything then let me know......TEC

·
Grand Master
440 Posts
TECbownut: My recommendation is under a thread titled Accuracy Question started by Monofletch.

Thttp://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=36440&goto=

:Dee

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Tec,

Shooter Mike gave you some good sound advise. No one can really tell you what a good shooting target bow is going to be. There are many out there and you have to look at the specs you want and try them out for yourself.

Remember...You can make your bow a great shooter, but your bow can not make you a great shooter. Being good at archery comes from within. Your bow is only 20% of the equation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts