Archery Talk Forum banner

Tox Naildriver

1225 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  johnnylb
Looking for information on best way to set the 3rd axis on new Naildriver. I've heard Tox sells a special bar for it...anyone tried it? Please advise, and Thanks!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,526 Posts
the naildrivers are simpy awsome and they are made by a great bunch of people. I have a 5300 and it has 3rd axis on it's sight bar. I love the sight and think it is one of the best if not the best on the market for this style of sight.

Good Luck!

· Registered
2,767 Posts
ignorance must be bliss...

I would sell the piece of sh** and buy a Sure Lock !!!!!111
Hey shootinstinct,
Just thought you'd like to know that the #1 and #2 compound male finishers at the World Team trials this weekend were both using Toxonics Naildrivers and are both from your home state. There are many successful archers across the globe that feel very differently than you do. The Toxonics Naildriver is the most rugged sight block on the market - BAR NONE. Comments like yours don't bother me, especially when you can't even spell the name of the sight you are promoting correctly. If you have legitimate criticism or recommendation to make, please use your head and respond with a little respect, because what you do not know but profess to can make you look really stupid(and did).

johnnylb,
There is a 3rd axis adjustment on the sight extension bar. If you have the standard mounting bar, obtaining 3rd axis level is as easy as buying a scope with a rotateable level such as the Original Brite Sight. It can be leveled in just minutes with one locking screw and works super. There is also a ton of good info on AT about the subject if you have time to research.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey JDES900Xl, Johnnylb is my shooting partner and I thought I would give him a bad time !!!! We have been working together the last couple of weeks trying to figure out the sight together, as I own the SAME SIGHT !!!!! Thanks for your imput I am sure it will be helpful...

· Registered
4,265 Posts
shootinstinct,

Maybe put a smiley after a post like that. Some of us might get a little upset when you hammer our choice sights, especially a 5300!!!

I have one myself and I love it. I haven't tried putting on a 3rd axis system yet. I read your post and my blood pressure started to rise!! Nothing like a good cardiovascular work out, without getting out of the chair. Ha Ha

Darrell

· Registered
1,927 Posts
Love it

LOVE my 5300's and will shoot NOTHING else.. Tox rules the roost in my opinion...Pro1

· Registered
109 Posts
Well as long as were talking about the Tox 5300, I'll put my two cents in because I own one and I'll compare it to the Tox 5000E I used to own:

Advantages:

1) Lighter (that is if you like to save weight)

Disadvantages

1) Vibrates far more than the 5000E (due the the cut-outs in the extension). If you like shooting with the sight almost fully extended out from the riser (like I do ...but now can't because of the vibration), it will absolutely startle you!

2) Slide mechanism on the block is far coarser than the 5000 or 5000E. A friend of mine has the 5000 and after continuous use for 2 years his slide is still silky smooth.

3) Lock-down knob requires almost 2.5 turns before I can loosen it enough to stop the block from grating as I slide it (and it still isn't smooth). The 5000 and 5000E only require 1 turn to achieve the same result.

4) Toxonics still haven't got the finish right (on their silver models at least). Small pit marks and the finish wears very easily. This was a problem on some of their superseded sights and it still hasn't been addressed. If you buy a silver one, it won't be long before the black marks start to appear on the extension where it locks into your mounting block.

For an expensive sight, I would have expected better. I loved the 5000's but in my opinion, the 5300 was a backward step!

Regards

· Registered
823 Posts
I'd love to see a totally unbiased ruggedness test between Tox, HTM, and CBE. I feel comfortable in saying that my HTM is more rugged than my previous Sure-Loc Supreme but can't speak first hand for the others. I would love to see a sight thats hands down "bar none" more rugged than the HTM. I am not saying that this is not possible but it seems unlikely that the Tox would be that much more solid than a CBE or HTM. Maybe we can get Consumer Reports do a comparison....lol.....bet people would be snatching that issue off the shelves.

Tom

· Registered
257 Posts
The one thing that I can say is that after 3 days of pouring rain at Redding my 5300 was still working just fine and a lot of the guys I know that were shooting sure loc's were having trouble getting them to move up and down.

Will

· Registered
8,652 Posts
Sights

I still don't know which sight I prefer. I own Sureloc Supremes, Sureloc Lites, and the 5300 Naildriver. I am not sure that the
Supreme is an improvement on the Lite. Yes, the Lites have to be sent in every couple of years for new bushings, but a lot of the Supremes buzz right out of the box. Mine seems to be fine after sending it in for warranty to Sureloc. The Naildriver is heavier but also more solid and I feel it will last longer with no service than either of the Surelocs. What I don't like about the
Naildriver 5300 is the scope mount. The removable armoured third axis scope mount on the Sureloc sure makes it easy to switch from one scope to another. I also like the rapid no lockdown adjustment for the constant yardage changes for Field
rounds. We like to shoot either a ring or the X-View lens for the Field and Hunter rounds but have to change to a dot for the animal round. It would also be nice if Tox would offer the 5300 with a 3" or 4" sight bar and a 6" extension. The CBE sights are very nice but we have gotten spoiled with the compatibility with
Archers Advantage with the Sureloc and Tox. Have never seen a
HTM sight in person and don't know what you have to do to move the sight for yardage changes nor do I know if it is compatible with AA. So, for now, we are shooting the Surelocs outside and
the Naildriver for indoors. If Toxonics ever comes out with the scope mount that Sureloc has, they will have the best sight on the market without question.
Jbird

· Registered
506 Posts
I switched from a Sur Loc to a Naildriver and I could not be more pleased. The Naildriver does not jump on the thread. I have put the Naildriver through the paces and it is much more durable and easier to level than any sight on the market.

To answer your question about leveling your sight, you must make sure your bow is level, horizonally and vertically. I use an HTM to level my bow but any bow clamp and torpedo level will work. Level your sight in this position first. Loosen the screws that are vertical, level the sight, and re-tighten. Point the bow up simulating an up-hill shot. Loosen the 2 screws that are horizonal, move the sight forward or backward until the sight is level and tighten the screws. Repeat this process for a simulated downhill shot. Your sight should now be level with your bow.

Hope this helps. Good shooting.
Wayne

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Thanks!

I look forward to trying a few of the things mentioned in your posts. Thanks to all (except ShootInstinct :)) and special thanks for those of you that stuck up for Toxonics. They are a great company!

· Registered
136 Posts
hy

The only thing to to is to set the level of your scope on the 3rd axis
for this simply put the side bar along a vertical thing and turn the sight up and down to check the bubble if the bubble change adjust 3rd axis and try again until you are set

I love the naildriver, I just bought a 2 years old model and it seems to be very durable

I have 32" draw lenght shoot lights arrows get mutch recoil this did destroy every sight I had : sure lock, Arc systeme carbon bar, ATA
at this time tox nail has no showed a loose of adjustements

phil

I had some problems with sights

· Registered
4,646 Posts
Leveling for third axis is very simple. You don't need complicated and expensive equipment. There are 2 steps: 1.) Take your sight off the bow and either hold it or attach it to something so that it is pointing straight out away from you. Hold a small level on the sight bar ( the part where you put your distance marks) and get your scope level and small level to match up. 2.) Now, hold the sight so that the scope is pointing straight up and hold your small level against the flat side of the sight extention. Now adjust the 3rd axis until the scope bubble and small level match up. That's it, works absolutly perfectly. When you rotate your sight up and down simulating uphill and downhill your bubble will remain stationary. This was shown to me by the people at Toxonics and they even supplied me with the small level for $5.00. The only people who will tell you it won't work are the ones selling $200.00 leveling devices!

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks GreggWNY!

I'll try it, sounds simple. Wish the Tox folks sent the sight with that info and the level. Oh well, love the sight!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.