Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone has any tracking tips or tricks.

I recently got permission to hunt a 160 acre farm but they have cattle. I have hunted land and tracked deer on that land but there wasn't cattle trails/tracks everywhere. It was pretty easy to know the deer trails and to see their movement on the non-cattle land.

Anyone know of any good ways to tell if it is a deer trail vs. cattle trail? I have found some deer tracks in wet mud on a couple trails but its hard to differentiate deer trails from cattle trails at times. I am also going to put out a trail camera this weekend to help.

Thanks!

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,163 Posts
Size and shape.

Elk6.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts
Assume everything is a cattle trail. Look for deer tracks in the dirt like you have done and assume everything else is cattle until proven otherwise. If there is any part of the property that the cattle don't usually go due to terrain check that out too. I hate hunting around cattle but have and will have to again but I sure hate having cattle come under me.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I found rattling around cattle to be a good help. They seem to respond to it even better than deer. If you set up a trail and rattle and have a herd of cattle looking up at you , mooing , it's most likely not a deer trail.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Any trail that crosses a fence, won't be cattle. When I've hunted pastures, the deer trails were generally from bedding to food sources outside of the pasture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts