Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some opinions. I recently dragged out my recurve and started shooting Barebow again. The bow is a Sky Medalist take down, white limbed 40# draw, has a fast flight string, a flipper rest and berger button. I shoot gold tip carbons (400 spine) with Blazer vanes. I shoot finger release with a hair tab. I just wondered if this is the correct forum or if this equipment being of a slightly higher tech nature would be classed as finger shooting ?
I will eventully go to more traditional equipment but the buget doesn't allow for it at this time(laid off like so many others).

Thanks for your opinions
Tom

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
It's a recurve,it's almost a dead ringer for one of my own bows,,,,and apart from that, I personaly see this forum as a place to discuss shooting longbows and recurves,hunting with recurves an longbows,bow fishing with recurves an longbows,shooting competition with recurves an longbows,stump shooting with recurves an longbows,,,if I missed anything,sorry for that.
What this place is not,,is a place to argue what is or is not Traditional.
Welcome aboard.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Jack. I'm glad to here that this is an open minded group. Other Traditional forums I have seen were very snobbish. If it wasn't a Logbow with no shelf, wood arrows, hand tied fletching, with self nocks and flint points you weren't a traditional shooter!
That being said I am currently shooting an indoor 300 league, I am currently hovering around 200( 204 two weeks ago and 191 last week). I am curious about how this compares to others on the forum. as it will help me set goals.

Thanks again
Tom

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom... Now I don't know how open minded we all are but we'll try to be nice at first ;).

That word Trad is one of my least favorites , it seems to mean something different to each person.
Quote""What this place is not,,is a place to argue what is or is not Traditional.""
Doesn't stop people from trying now and then lol..

Adding to what Jack said, it is a place for stick bows or non wheeled bows. Hang around awhile and see if it suits you. Randy

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Welcome. I don't shoot well enough to offer too much advice, but as far as a goal it seems that a 240 average is a common benchmark. I personally just try my best to make each arrow better than the last--hopefully there will be some significant improvement along the way.

I'd suggest getting your form down pat. Make sure it's repeatable and consistent. Secondly, your arrows would seem to be way too stiff for your bow. Something in the 600 range would be what I would expect to spine for your bow.

Good luck, and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
For my part, welcome aboard! Other people's opinions and definitions are fine with me, as long as they keep in mind it's just their opinions and definitions--nothing that's going to change the world.

You might get some insight on the FITA board as well--some of the equipment you use is pretty common there, I think--but the way I see it, a recurve is a recurve, a longbow is a longbow.

Chad

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hello Tom, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. As you can see I am also new and have not posted much. What I have been doing is reading all the posts. I can tell you that I have already learned a boatload just by doing that. Just from picking up some pointers from here and some of the reading material I have at home my shooting ability has improved dramatically.

-=Mark

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Tom -

Actually, if I'm think of the right bow, you are one lucky sun of a gun. Don't let the "traditional" part bother you as most people have their own definitions. Only time it becomes an issue is if/when you decide to compete as there are specific requirements for each class.

As you get more into it, you might want to consider solfter arrows, even with a 32" draw, odds are a 400 spine arrow will be way too stiff. Exact arrow will, of course depend on your draw length.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome, I'm more of a lurker and love to read the posts here.

Too bad some peoples's opinions and need to put a label on everyting have made traditional a bad word. I like the term coined by a popular authur here, "Classic Archery".:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Welcome Aboard TTop!

I personally shoot and Olympic style recurve, a one piece wood recurve, a "Warf" bow, a compound, and am looking into a longbow. Am I Traditional, yes! Am I a finger shooter, yes. All my bows, the compound as well, I shoot with fingers.

My post here are mainly about my recurves, but feel free to ask any stick and string question here. I think that most here will agree...........if it has one string it is traditional here.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
As others have said you can fit in fine here. The "Finger" Forum is mostly Limited compound shooters for some reason. A few of us barebow recurves post there but it's dominated by compounds.

Also as someone said, the FITA forum has some barebow recurve folks posting there and your rig fits in there pretty well.

Welcome to all of the forums you want to participate on.

Dave

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I would like some opinions. I recently dragged out my recurve and started shooting Barebow again. The bow is a Sky Medalist take down, white limbed 40# draw, has a fast flight string, a flipper rest and berger button. I shoot gold tip carbons (400 spine) with Blazer vanes. I shoot finger release with a hair tab. I just wondered if this is the correct forum or if this equipment being of a slightly higher tech nature would be classed as finger shooting ?
I will eventully go to more traditional equipment but the buget doesn't allow for it at this time(laid off like so many others).

Thanks for your opinions
Tom
Welcome aboard, Tom.

You've definitely come to the right place. There's a few other sub forums as others here have mentioned that apply to your shooting style on Archery Talk that you could post on.

Your set up is definitely traditional, IMO. It's just that some people have different definitions or levels of what is considered traditional...but most get along or tolerate each other pretty well here even though we may not always agree on everything ;)

My first suggestion to you regarding your equipment is to get some weaker spined arrows. I'm pretty sure those 400's are probably to stiff...but the only way you will know for sure is to test them yourself.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
lol- if it ain't got training wheels.....

in my (kinda brief) experience here in the Traditional forum, i've noticed that the guys on this forum who claim to know what they're talking about usually do know what they're talking about. imo, that makes it very different from the general forum......
i've enjoyed & learned more on this forum by far than i have on the compound forums.
now, since the topic of affording longbows is one of my soap boxes- ever tried making one?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I shoot all the local traditional 3D's and some IBO TRD class.I use an olympic recurve with a built up rest so I can legaly shoot off the shelf for thoes classes.I use a tab and no stabilizer or sights.I personaly think I'm just as trad as anyone.I just like to shoot the rig I shoot best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the Welcome everyone. I appreciate the comments. The arrows may be stiff, but they fly well (if my release is clean). Overheard a compound shooter comment at league this week, saying that my arrows were flying better that his. I didn't intend to give the impression that I hadn't shot barebow before. I started out and shot barebow for 3 years before I ever looked thru a sight. That was in 1960. This is something I do every few years, when I find myself working too hard with the compound and not enjoying it. I am having so much fun this time I may not go back to the unlimited bow for a while.
This seems to be a very experience group and I look forward to learning and discussing many things pertaining to "traditional" archery!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The "Finger" Forum is mostly Limited compound shooters for some reason. A few of us barebow recurves post there but it's dominated by compounds.

Dave
I believe it's because nobody shoots a recurve or longbow with a release!:wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts