Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! You'ens;

I was wondering if on of you nice folks could help me in making choice in purchasing a DVD or video teaching aid for traditional archery? I am kinda new to traditional archery and we do not have any traditional clubs near my home in Brown County (Georgetown, Ohio). I was hoping ,and wondering if a DVD or video on traditional archery would be helpful?

If so what would your alls' picks be in DVDs or videos? I saw a couple of videos in 3Rivers the other day; I have been fooling around with three under and three split techniques. Here is the three I was considering Bryon Ferguson(Become the arrow),Ricky Welch (traditional shooting vols.1&2), or Fred Asbells(Instinctive shooting) . Which one would be the most informative and easiest to learn?

I was considering getting the videos to help me out with poor techniques or or practice form.

God Bless and Thanks a Bunch!

Holler Critter:eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I haven't watched the videos, but I would start with anything from G. Fred. I have his 2 books on instinctive shooting, they are a great starting point. I found that my form isn't exactally how he explains his, but he has great pointers to get you started. I read Byron's book "Become the Arrow" a few years ago, and I got into the worst shooting slump of my entire life! Several people I have talked to did the same.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
My opinion and experience is exactly the opposite. I'd start with pretty much anything except G. Fred's books or video. Nothing personal against him--seemed like a nice guy when I met him earlier this year--his style is just very difficult to be consistent with. IMO, there's way too much movement with the swing draw, either for hunting (at least here in the South) or for a consistent anchor. He says you "can't" shoot accurately using 3-under in his video, but some of the best shooters alive shoot 3-under. He does give some good info. concerning the basics, but too much I don't agree with to recommend it.

I shoot a lot of tournaments, and I've never seen a consistently accurate archer that uses the Asbell method--and it's pretty easy to spot. I've seen lots that use Ferguson's method and variations of it. The best shots I know shoot very similarly, including a couple of IBO champs. They don't recommend Asbell's instructions either.

I've talked to several guys, some experienced archers, who tried the Asbell method and had a very hard time recovering from it. One of the big problems is it can easily lead to snap shooting, a hard habit for most to break.

I don't agree with everything in Ferguson's book (haven't seen the video), but he has the basics down. It's easy and entertaining to read, and gets to the point. I had no idea what it was called back then, but I learned to shoot basically the way he talks about. I would have been able to progress a lot further a lot faster if I'd known about his book sooner. I have changed my methods quite a bit over the years, but I'd still reccomend the book. I had never heard about anyone getting into a slump from trying to follow it, and have heard from lots of folks that it's helped.

Another one is Ricky Welch's "Instinctive Archery, Volume II" video. Other than the basics, very different than Ferguson's book, but can be very helpful.

If you have ever seen Welch or Ferguson shoot, you know they must be doing something right.

I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong, we just have completely different experiences here.

Chad

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have seen people try the Fred G. way of shooting and they did not like it much . They said it very uncomfortable. And if you look back through history at the style of all the good shooters past and present they all seem to be very close in form.Standing up straight smoth draw and solid anchor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I, personally, have found Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" and John Schultz "Hittin 'em Like Howard Hill" shooting methods to be easy to learn and use. I have both the books and the DVDs and I have been using their shooting methods and training exercises for the past 12 months and I have found my accuracy improving.

My understanding is that both use a split vision method of aiming but they differ on the release method.

Happy shooting :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts