Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the wrong section but.....
Do any of you have any great ideas/recipes for cooking whole elk back straps(prime rib) and loin straps on a Trager grill? At the end of the month we want to do a big shindig for our group and wives. I need some ideas as we have a couple tragers and four big straps so far. YUMMY.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Is a Trager grill the same as a Trager smoker? If it was me, I'd cut the straps into thick steaks and cook them on a Weber Kettle fast and hot. Never had any luck smoking wild game because it's so lean. I've never smoked elk though so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I know that fast and hot has always treated me a lot better than low and slow with deer. Now a pork butt is a whole different story. :cool:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud. Good point. It is a Trager smoker and I did a couple Elk backstraps last year on it. You are right, they are quite lean even though I wrapped them in bacon. Killer flavor but was hoping for better (more moist). I do regular prime rib and ribs etc. and they are to die for. May have to resort to the steak thing but that is kind of "old hat". If you know what I mean.We have Elk steaks a lot so I was hoping to do something special for this occasion.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've got a louisianna grill,same thing.Slice the backstraps longways.not all the way through maybe halfway,put a teaspoon or two of chopped garlic in the slice.pack pepper bacon in the slice with the garlic,tie it closed with butcher string,cover liberally with canadian steak seasoning,don't overcook.
you can thank Me later.:tongue:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! Sounds good. I will do a couple that way. Thanks

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
We cut ours the long way so you can open it like a hot dog bun, then spread with cream cheese and pack with bacon and sauteed red peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Jalapenos if you like spicy. Then shut it and double wrap in tinfoil so nothing leaks. Put whatever seasoning you like on the outside before wrapping. We use Cavenders Greek Seasoning from Walmart, and some Lawrys with a little olive oil.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another good one! Thanks
Crap I am drooling on my keyboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts