Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woukd like to get a decent trail cam but don't want to spend a lot on one. I would just like to see how they work. I have never used one and don't know what to look for and what not to look for. Video still shots picture quality night vision etc. Any names and brands that are affordable I would like to see. Thanks

·
Socket Man
23,789 Posts
Go to Trailcampro.com, my dad works there and they have all the good ones reviewed and ready to go. I think the little browning ones may be what you want but just check out the reviews by my dad and the other guys there and you can pick.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't really have any advice except to check reviews online. Honestly, when it comes to trail cams, you get what you pay for. I spend the money to get good quality photos/video or to me there really isn't a point to get one that you will be dissatisfied with. I have a couple Moultrie black IR's and a couple wildgame innovations. A little advice would be to spend money on good batteries. I buy energier lithium ultimates. Cost about $20 per camera but after 1500 pics on 1 cam last year I had 85% battery life left when I put them out this year!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea definitely I have no idea about picture quality on these what's a good MP and do you recommend video. I know about the batteries I am a big flashlight guy so quality batteries are a must

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yea definitely I have no idea about picture quality on these what's a good MP and do you recommend video. I know about the batteries I am a big flashlight guy so quality batteries are a must
I like 8 MP cams and I do like the video functions. I use video on 2 of the 4 cams as they're on a field edge near scrapes. 2 other cams are set to picture as they are in woods with quicker passings so I have multi burst picture mode setup.

I personally don't spend less than $100 on a cam.

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Moultrie A5

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
sorry fellas but I have 3 wildgames 4th year running now, $30 bucks each at Menards. I got them after I had a $200+ Moultree & nothing but trouble. They replaced it with another & it was junk too.. Maybe I was a lucky one... Just some pics of last couple years..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
It is hard to use any of the "reviews' these days they are not doing much but very basic reviews and giving little info but if the marketing points hold up to their testing. I cannot recommend any brand because I looked for some info and the lack of it I bought a Uway, Browning and a friend got a 2015 Moultrie and they all are not that good but the lack of Users posting the good and the bad you don't get that much real info on the different brands I asked about Uway a couple times and not many had any info so I took a big chance and it was not that good, the same for a 2015 Moultrie M-990i not many have them and they are a lot different than their 2013 or 2014 models. The video mode give you the video plus a thumbnail image which is useless too small to make out much and that wastes space on the SD Card which might be an issue since they think battery life is when they limit the night time video length time. And their Both Mode which is to give you a Video and a Picture they are not paired up each time you might get 2 or 4 videos and then a picture or two or three and then a couple more videos and to the picture it is not what you think as to one of each paired together in the file it is more random than anything and the flash is half of what the 2013 & 2014 models had. As for Browning two things limbs trigger the camera at 30 ft away and the 10 second night time video limit is another I could see 30 but 10 is just too short and the add the recovery time and the 5 or 15 second delay and the Buck is done working the scrape so you cannot see what it was doing. So it is not a Scrape cam and the one I have is in for repair / service / replacement. They are working on it currently. Had 2 Moultrie 2014 M-1100i that stopped working in Video Mode one would change back to picture mode when you turned it off and back on and the other would start in video and a few days later it would just switch to picture sent them in and got them back and now one is whiteout at transition times getting 2 Whiteouts then a color normal video and then another whiteout then once dark night time normal videos. Have contact them a few times asking what my options are since I bought one in Mid Sept 2014 and the 1 year warranty is about to run out they don't extend the warranty when you get a new one you need a Proof of Purchase which you don't have with a replacement. And Covert tried 3 and all had issue out of the box don't have any now. Sure some get a good 1 but they aren't all good. It is hit and miss what you buy and what you can get. And the Reviews lack much details as to the bad of the game cameras. The last 2 years seems the brands aren't looking to fix these issue they seem to think changes are good and not bad for the user when each time they do it makes it not simple to set up or use. The 2013 Moultrie were the best and yet the 2014 change the insides and it was half as good as the 2013 was and they could have sold many 2013 if they just left it alone some bought many 2013 M-990i and then wanted more bought a 2014 and it was nothing close as to set up or sensing distance or flash distance. So the Game Camera Industry needs to slow down as to making changes and do a lot more R&D and make simple and not come up with things like thumbnail images that use up sd card space. Not sure what their thinking was as was the changes to set up programming what was just scroll down and make changes now you have to bounce from once section to another and then another and hope you have it set up and it is very different between their 2013 models, 2014 models and now their 2015 models it should be Simple not complicated but they I guess think otherwise from what I got from one of their Managers at Moultrie they think their game cameras are "better" yet they have lost many users because of these changes and got a lot more returns as all brands have. Got a Stealth as a gift first started getting non viewable videos and now it is flickering thru all day time videos and their CS is non existent they won't answer an email with anything but you need to call us which is odd when they have 2 different email address you would think they would just provide some information in an email but they have yet to. While others will and do answer questions...

Hope you can find a good one but not sure what that is these days...

LFM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts