Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your tips for using trail cameras? Storage of pictures, and placement techniques in the field? Here are some of my thoughts on the idea, want to know other's thoughts!

·
wolfey
4,050 Posts
Hang cams above the deers line of site. At least as high as you can reach. Keeps them from seeing and smelling them. Also helps keep bears off them.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
SIMPLE.....

SCOUTING ASSISTANT.... awesome product - if you run as many cams as I do you need some help...I've tied a few and keep coming back to SA-Pro - does it all...

http://scoutingassistant.com/SAProfessional.aspx

Joe
Cool platform but it looks like it sorts into cameras or locations? The most beneficial way to me is sort by specific deer. If your wanting to just hunt locations and not care what is coming into the area then I can see this program working but if your wanting to know where a deer is traveling and what camera it frequents the most I think you'd spend a lot of time going through every picture to see where that deer has been.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My advice, set two up on all sets as to try and catch thieves. One to monitor deer the other high in a tree overlooking your ground level camera. Just had two stolen off private ground, I hate thieves!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Don't fall for the black flash thing going on with trail cams today. The whole idea of a flash is to see what is there at night. I use white flash cameras, and hang each camera about 12' up the tree angled down to the trail or bedding area. Each cam is cable locked, and I carry one section of a strap-on climbing stick to each location. The deer don't mind the flash and you can actually see night pics from a very long distance. The cameras are also out of reach of most thieves!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The most frustrating thing with cameras is pictures without animals. Nothing worse than 2500 pics of nothing. Make sure you have brush cleared in the line of the camera so you dont get nuisance trips of the IR sensor. Secondly, do as much as possible to limit south facing setups on the camera, where the sun could make viewing difficult. Lastly, dont put cameras directly near your stands, place them on trails that lead to your stand a couple hundred yards away. The fewer times you go to where you are trying to kill a deer the better off you are. As to camera type my strategy is to read reviews from cameras that were released last year, then buy them at a reduced cost online. I never buy a cam that was just released, Never. I have over 20 cams and they are a variety of brands and they all work just fine. That includes, Cuddeback, Moultrie, Bushnell, Primos, Browning, WGI, Stealtcam. I never paid over $100 for any of them. Most of them are 5 years old with some close to 10 and I leave my cams out year round mostly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats Kroniik. First good advice, actually read the manual! ha, most of us don't. Second, I would make sure to hang it about head high, as sometimes deer see them and react negatively, which defeats the point of having it out. Also, if you haven't check out my video in the top post about trail cam tips, and check out our website for other tips and videos! http://soundbarrierhunting.com/

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Thanks for the tips Sound Barrier.
I HAD to read the manual to even begin to understand the technology!

Wondering if you have ever placed a cam at the BASE of a tree just off the ground, angled upward a tiny bit?
Thinking it might be less visible to thieves and may get some interesting angles?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
First off never buy any commercial game camera from what a few say are good ones, I fell into that and learned quickly that for each one that says it is a good one someoneelse has just the opposite luck with that brand and or model. It seems that each brand has batches and sure some "might" get a good one others don't. So I search out the best price I can because as others mentioned you won't feel so bad dealing with false triggers, white outs, poor sound, blurry day & night pictures or videos, non viewable pics or videos and so on.

As for putting cams high sure good idea but how many can without dragging a ladder to check it. Convenience is part of keeping it simple... As for white flash or Red Glow my experience is that "good" bucks will take notice of these and avoid them. I started with homebrew white flash and noticed I was only getting a couple of pictures of a "good" Buck I tried moving them up to ten feet but still few good bucks were returning. I switch to black flash and now only run black flash and 2015 I had so many "good" bucks in videos daily it proved to be that they take notice. But again can't talk about all places each has different things that can change deer movements. Just for me it's made a big difference. I had several good 8 point bucks, I doubt I will use another white or red glow game camera. Sure black flash don't have the distance flash some want or they are grainy but so far I can make out the number of points a buck has especially using the camera in video mode. I have Moultrie, Uway, Browning & Stealth, each has different issues as when I had Covert. Browning and Covert have false trigger issues too many pictures or videos with nothing in them. Put another brand in the same location and did not have that.

As for tips: don't eat anything and check your cams the smell of the food or even salt could can attract animals to them including bears. I usually rinse my hands with water before I do anything with my cameras.
Scent I have not had much issue with deer not traveling past my cameras, within an hour or so deer are there. Does & fawns don't seem to notice cams as much as bucks and the more close to hunting season even more they are on edge. So try and keep from putting any kind of scent in the area even gas or oil could be tracked in from your boots!
I now only use 32 GB SD Cards. I don't want to take a chance on filling up a card and miss out on anything if I can. Now that I am only doing video and have most up to 1 minute for day time and what ever the limit the brand has for night time, like Browning their was 10 second but 2016 are to be 20 second, still too short for me. When I see a buck working a scrape and he just gets started and it ends and then the 5 or so seconds of recovery time and such the buck is walking away and you miss what he is doing; raking his antlers or rubbing his forehead in the licking branch or licking the branch. You see and get what deer are doing than you will ever get for a picture or pictures but for some they are just trying to get an inventory of the bucks in the area...
I have cams on a mock scrape, a mineral site, a few plots and 2 trails. I get all kinds of videos: does, fawns, bucks, bears, turkeys, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, possums, rabbits, squirrels, b-jays etc. You will see an alpha doe pushing off other deer at a plot, bucks sparing, working a scrape, chasing other bucks, deer pushing off turkeys in a plot.
But it takes a lot of time going thru videos and seeing what you do get. Also you cannot send a video in an email for others to see and I am not into the social media sites that you can. I just transfer them to a small flash drive and mail it to a friend or family that might like to see them.

Each brand seems to make changes to their products every year and so far the last 3 years these have not been for the better of the products. Seem that some companies change hands and are bought like I heard Moultrie was they had a good cam with the M-990i and the 2014 & 2015 fell flat on their face with the same model, flash distance was less, sensor was less, their 2015 Gen 2 had major changes as to set up; flash options, including a useless thumbnail image offering a both mode so you get a vid & a pic they are not paired up and the thumbnail image is useless you can view it too small. Again they could have sold many more 2013 M-990i if they had left it the same in 2014 but appears brands think consistent change will help them sell more yet they now get many more back for repair and replacements. Lack of R&D and seems that each Batch they attempt to tweak and it gets worse like whiteout flash or transition time whiteouts.

So just be aware that you can get a bad cam and so if you do some brands CS is fallen short over the last 2 years much less prompt replies to emails and assistance when you need some help and some won't reply but to tell you that you need to "Call Us" even with a basic Q about what a firmware update helps with. But it could be because they get so many emails they cannot handle the number and so you might not get a prompt reply if any!

Year end sales is where you might find a deal even though it is not a good cam paying less is the way I have been going, cams that are well over 150.00 I have found for 100.00 to 110.00 w/ S&H so I don't feel so bad.

Also when they make changes that means you need to buy another security box because the new does not fit the old and having to toss both the cam and the box is just more $ especially if you pay full MSRP... And some places like Amazon if bought from them not another seller will have a return and replacement policy where as small dealers don't and dealing with the manufacturer is just an added issue paying to return one and you hear some get the one back quickly and then you send one in like I did to Browning and it too more than 3 weeks from the time they got it to get a replacement and their reply they have to "Test" it to be sure there is an issue... and why it took so long to get one back.

Lots most don't know till you spend your money and have to deal with any brand. And last Year Moultrie no longer will repair any camera that is out of warranty! Again just what I have experienced... You experience could be different but use and set up what works for you, I will stick with black flash game cameras it has a difference for me!!!

LFM

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Don't point them south east, south west or south. If you do, the sun will wash out lots of your day time pics

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You don't need drag a ladder into the woods to check cams 10ft up a tree. If the tree doesn't have branches for you to climb you can use a tree step or two or a climbing stick.

A lot of "camera issues" can be traced back to bad batteries.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Do tons and tons of research reading actual reviews from actual customers before u buy. Trailcampro.com does alot of comparing and reviewing of diff. Cams that is very helpful. Exact flash and detection distances, exact trigger speed. Note they don't test cuddeback. They do actual reviews of cams and have good and bad things to say about every manu. They said cudde actually asked them not to review there cams. Also I don't think u should try viewing pics. At the cam location on viewers and what not. U spend to much time and scent there and usually can't see well anyway. Collect several different SD cards and if u don't want to remove cam. Then just swap the card and leave. Also don't fool with cheap batteries use litium or rechargable alot of cams don't function as well on cheap batteries even when there still full. Took me awhile to believe that but it's true. For what litiums cost your cams will make up and some on how long the work.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
In for more good advice.

Got my first cam, (Browning Spec Ops) yesterday and just learning how to use it.
I have 4 of them, best cam hands down for video! So so for pics.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts