Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Only visiting this planet
4,326 Posts
What's your def of an arm and a leg?
The Cuddebacks rate highly on the store bought variety and will cost several hundred $, there are home builds that can do as well that will cost a little less.
I have some low end Moultries (about $100 or less) and have gotten great pics and adequate video off them.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
Kiss of Death said:
what is the best trail camera is there for taking pics and video for a low price. But the flash cannot scare the deer and it cannot cost a arm and leg.
So are you asking for a "cheap" infared trail cam??? I don't even know if there's a trail cam fitting that description???

Low cost is a realitive term, how much are you thinking of spending? If you can stand to part with just a few hundred than snag the Leaf River IR model. There are several on this forum that seem to be impressed with theirs.

I personally prefer full color images and video and have had excellent results with both the Leaf Rivers and the Cuddeback.

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
I have a Leaf River DC-2BU trail camera. It's a 3.0 megapixel digital, flash cam. I've taken for or five pictures of the same deer within a matter of 5 minutes with flash. The flash normally does NOT scare the deer. Occasionally it will if the deer is too close and the flash startles it but it will not cause the deer to leave that particular location in my opinion. I've had a couple 130"+ bucks coming into my particular camera location every morning and night with the flash going off.

· Registered
288 Posts
For Video

Last year I used this video system and it worked great. I looked and researched and I couldn't find anything written up on it so I decided to take a chance and test it out. I bought it at Bass Pro and just for the system without the camera it's $299. Yes, it's pricey because you still have to provide the camera. I just happen to have an extra Sony video camera that worked with this system sitting around.

It works with over 100 different video cameras and they are listed on the box for you to see. It's pretty easy to program and it has a wide variety of settings you can use. I set mine to video for 17 seconds every 5 minutes. The max recording time you can set it at is 17 seconds. For people up North where it freezes, mine got a little frost on the lens so everything was blurred for that day.

It has no flash but it does have the IR sensors that lights up and the deer can see it. However they didn't spook at all. It takes as good of video as the camera you use can take and all you do is plug in a wire to your LANC connection on your camera. Your camera MUST have a LANC connection or it won't work.

I did have problems with white outs in the day time and I had it facing North. If you want to take night video you have to use your cameras 'night shot'. For day time footage you have to use a flip down lens (on the housing) that is 'supposed to' releive white out for daytime video but it didn't work for me.

Their customer service was awesome and I even was able to speak with the engineer of the product. For those of you who have stands in which there is a lot of shade it should work fine with probably no whiteouts. I was impressed with it and I look forward to using it again this season.

I would rather spend $300 on a video system than a still photo system so that's why I chose this. I was lucky because I had my extra video camera just taking up space but if you don't have a video camera you want to leave in the woods then it wouldn't benefit you. It runs on a 12v battery that lasts 2 weeks, maybe a little more. Plus you have to have an extended battery for the video camera so it will get pricey but for me it worked out.

Other than that, I know nothing about it. :cocktail:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=65660&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

· Bettering the last.....
6,222 Posts
i hav ehad some great luck with 2 different moultire 100s i bought out of the classifieds here..email me for questions or pics

· Registered
826 Posts
The best thing you can do is check out this site, www.chasingame.com, they review all the game cameras and tell you the strengths as well as weaknesses. They are unbiased and have no sponsors or advertisers and they pretty much tell it like it is. After extensive study of thier reviews I bought a Stealth WD-2. Price was $159 with a $20 rebate and I get better than average performance. Check out thier site and you'll be an informed buyer.

· Registered
6,483 Posts
Ringy said:
The best thing you can do is check out this site, www.chasingame.com, they review all the game cameras and tell you the strengths as well as weaknesses. They are unbiased and have no sponsors or advertisers and they pretty much tell it like it is. After extensive study of thier reviews I bought a Stealth WD-2. Price was $159 with a $20 rebate and I get better than average performance. Check out thier site and you'll be an informed buyer.
I second Ringys advise I did that and I'm glad I did. Off of their recomendation I bought 3 Stealth WD-2 cams and side my side they are out preforming my Cuddebacks in the way of sensing almost 3 to 1. For $150 bucks, less than half the price of my Cuddys with 3 times as many pics and the ease of programing I am one happy customer.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
Kiss of Death said:
does your trail cameras flash scare the deer away? ????????that was my only consern with the ones with a flash
I've personally found that flash spooking is minimal. I've had way to many multiple images over the past few seasons with all of my flash cams to suspect that deer are seriously spooked by the flash. If you find that your local deer are a bit sensitive to the flash then all you need to do is elevate the cams and angle them down. If you set the cams up at say 6ft and angle them down then the deer seem to assume that the overhead flash is simply no more than a flash of lighning. Granted, if I were a deer walking along the dark woods and a high powered flash pops just a few inches from my eye then yes, there is certainly going to be some instances where I would be alerted but generally they tend to stand there for yet another pic and then move along. If it really does bug them then that animal will simply walk around the cam the next time. It's not like they will stop using the area altogether. I really like the flash sensitivity option on the new Cuddeback I have. It allows you to use a standard lower setting or a longer disantance "high" setting with a simple push of a button. Having the option to adjust the flash is nice when I have the cam set along a trail in the woods or when I have it set at a foodplot and want/need longer distance night shooting capabilty. I'm also VERY pleased with the Cuddeback Experts ability to take a quality still image anytime an animals walks by and then IF it's daylight the cam will then begin to record a video clip up to 60 seconds! I love this option. Every week when I check my cam I have been averaging 100 to 150 images and around 20 video clips and this is in an area with a realitivily low deer density. A super fast trigger, easy to set-up and easy controls, and an excellent image quality. The only negative I've found with the Cuddeback Expert is the design of the battery door, it's just a thin metal plate at the bottom of the unit and for $400 I feel that it should be much better and more durable.

Here are some average images from the Cuddeback Expert

Standard Flash setting

HIGH Flash setting

Fill flash used in lowlight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.