Archery Talk Forum banner

Trail Cams

675 11
I am interested in buying a trail cam and I was wondering which one out there are good? I am not sure yet which one I like either a cuddleback or a montrel cam. I was thinking about building a trail cam but not sure yet how much it would cost me to buy all the materials.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Cuddeback used to be top of the line, now they are really struggling to make something worth a shXX. You can blame China parts if you want, but it is ultimately Cuddeback's choice how to make thier products. Right now Cuddeback is making products with the attitude "Lets make something as cheap as we can, and see if it will sell."

My point is- if you make a desirable product, the rest takes care of itself.

Don't waste your money on a Cuddeback.:thumbs_do

· Registered
495 Posts
It really depends on what you want from it and what your willing to pay. More expensive isn't necessarily better with trail cams but it good to know where your money went. Scoutguards 550's and Moultrie I40's are very popular on this forum and in my opinion are both quality cameras. These are both around $200. Leaf River makes an absolutely awesome camera called the IR7ss that retails at $375 but you can find it for less on the internet. In my opinion the Leaf River 7ss is the best bang for the buck. Picture quality is second to none, has a 1 second trigger, has a video feature and also records sound. That's my advice.

· Registered
5,788 Posts
I personally think the best cam for still pics are the Reconyx RC60's and for video- Predator's - hands down!:thumbs_up

· Registered
337 Posts
stay away from moultrie

It took my uncle sending 4 cameras back to them before he go one that works.
I have sent 3 back and got tired of doing it.
Also their scent dispenser is junk. I wouldn;t buy moultrie tp if they sold it.:thumbs_do

· Registered
6,055 Posts
I think it helps

I think it helps to buy one of these cams from someone who is knowledgeable about the product they are selling. Many times problems are something simple that someone with experience can answer easily. Thirdypointer has taken the time to get to know his product and is worth buying from someone who can actually help. When you use the product you are selling you learn so much more.

· Registered
495 Posts
It took my uncle sending 4 cameras back to them before he go one that works.
I have sent 3 back and got tired of doing it.
Also their scent dispenser is junk. I wouldn;t buy moultrie tp if they sold it.:thumbs_do
I've bought one moultrie. It works great! Not one problem with mine.

Attachments

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I had problems with the Moultrie d40. Returned it for an i40 and have never had any kind of problems with it. No problems with my SG either.

· Registered
196 Posts
What's a good camera for me may, or may not, be a good camera for you. You've gotta figure out what features, or what's important for you in a cam (including what you want to shell out). For instance, I'd rather have quantity out over quality. I put many of my cams on public and would be super pissed if a high $$$ would walk off. I'm fine with the cam catching 90% of the stuff walking past at multiple location versus one cam that catches everything at one spot.

Also, you need to look at how you're going to use a cam. For example, someone who puts a cam over a bait pile doesn't need a lightning fast camera.

Your best bet is to do the legwork yourself and narrow down your camera choices. Then ask specifics about the cameras you have narrowed it down to. Or put out more details of what you're looking for in a cam (with a price range) and then sift through the input. A great place to research cams is chasingame.com.

· Registered
6,055 Posts
Well

I think your dad may have bought a Sony s600 from me a few years ago. I told him at the time it was a great trailcam camera. Once you have the camera the build will not cost all that much. I can do the hack for you as a favor.

· Registered
5,788 Posts
I think it helps to buy one of these cams from someone who is knowledgeable about the product they are selling. Many times problems are something simple that someone with experience can answer easily. Thirdypointer has taken the time to get to know his product and is worth buying from someone who can actually help. When you use the product you are selling you learn so much more.
Hey Buckshot, i forgot to mention that those cams i stated being hands down the best were from the commercial side as i know a few of you guys sure do make some great homebrews that will stand up to the best for less! I personally haven't had any experience nor know of anyone personally with a Scoutguard, but that maybe one to follow also. I remember a few years back when the I40's came out and everyone loved them, until enough got used and people started learning they had many issues- but some did get lucky and get a decent one though. Hope that doesn't happen with the SG550!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.