Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see posts starting to pop up on wounded whitetails. The best advice I have is invest in a good book on the subject before the hunt. It would be well worth the money. I have a soft cover book on Trailing Whitetails by John Trout Jr. and that thing is in sad shape because of the times I went through it while waiting to take up a trail. And I'm no rookie at this, I don't even know how many whitetails I've taken with a bow, yet I still go back to this book. I also have a little figurine of a whitetail (kids plastic toy) that I like to examine while looking at the anatomy charts to react the shot placement.

I'm sure theres other good books on the subject and if somebody could post the name of the book, I wouldn't mind picking up a second book on the subject.

Happy Hunting:)
Dan

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
There is some valuable information on this site also, just do a search on blood trailing.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I certainy don't blame folks for wanting to come to this highly informative site to seek advice but man by the end of the season there will be hundreds of posts about wounded and lost animals that feel more like a slap in the face after awhile. Thanks for the solid advice on the informative read above, hopefully it will help more than a few folks find their animals this season. Good luck and please pick your shots carefully.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
dapper,

John is a good friend and old hunting buddy of mine.

We have been on over 300 documented blood trailing jobs together. Everywhere from Indiana where we do most of our hunting to Canada, PA, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, and Colorado.

He knows his stuff and one thing about John is that he is PERSISTENT. he very seldom gives up.

Here is a thread I started a year or two ago on this subject.

http://69.94.132.128/vb/showthread.php?t=33444&highlight=tracking+wounded+deer

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Another great book on the subject is Tracking Wounded Deer: How to Find and Tag Deer Shot With Bow or Gun by Richard P. Smith (Amazon link)

I have both books, and each has its strong points.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Yes by all means get the book.

Whatever you do don’t get caught up in all the long-range 70-yard heart shooting hype. Take shots you know you can’t miss, don’t take shots you know you can make. And remember there are two categories of bow hunters, those that have wounded game and those that will wound game. Shorter shots equal less looking. Good luck and good hunting to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts