Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have info on how to train a dog to track downed deer? I have a Jack Russel Terrier that I would like to train.

·
Registered
469 Posts
QDMA website or a catalog book from them had a book that specialized on training tracking dogs for deer.

RD

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer, by John Jeanneny.

It seldom works if you already have a dog and try to train it. You need to choose a dog that shows interest in blood and can stay focused on a track.

I'm not saying it will not work, but the chances are slim.

·
Registered
221 Posts
BAYOUBENGALS, The book mentioned is an excellent read for anyone interested in training a blood tracking dog. In fact there are several chapters in the book that would benifit many hunters in their tracking endevours.

As far as your J.R.T. goes lay a few small blood trails. Maybe 100 - 200ft at first just to see how interested the dog is in blood. Age them an hr or so. If it shows interest then you can make the trails longer. But if you do several blood trails at 100-200 ft and it does not show an interest then you would be better off finding another dog to train for blood tracking. A younger dog who has not learned to run hot game will be better and easier to train. Most dogs if they show interest can be made into blood trackers of fresh trails 4-6 hrs or less. But if you want a dog that will trail old cold lines then you will need to find one of the specialty breeds.

There are several good places to go for info on training a blood tracking dog.
www.unitedbloodtrackers.org National tracking organization
www.thetroutbum.com Forum just about blood tracking dogs
deer search out of N.Y N.Y. state based organization

If you have any question about training just send me a p.m. or an email

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the info fellows. I'll have to get that book also. I have a 10 month old english setter(for a house pet) that always has her nose to the ground, but she comes from a line of pheasant hunters. Since I don't hunt pheasants and I'm big into whitetails, I'd try training her to track blood once I get a deer and acquire some blood.

Happy Hunting
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts