Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use the formaster?Is this device for finger shooting only?
Started punching recently,so I'm going back to bt.This time of year I'm able to put in some good training so I guess I'm going to put in some serious sessions.
I read about this device in Rick McKinneys book,but he doesn't get real specific.
I guess I should get a training moon for my zenith too.Someone on here had a good idea about keeping identical releases in his pouch(one with a full moon) and during sessions wouldn't know which one he grabbed.
Back to the blank bail again...............bummer.
Maybe this time I'd better do it right.I didn't cross train enough and am paying the price now.
Thanks,Jerry

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a formaster, shoot a recurve, and have found it to be very useful in helping me maintain form after the shoot and focus more on a rigid frame and follow through rather than focusing and anticipating my release. I imagine it could benefit a compound shooter, but have no experience to prove so. Good Luck.

MatrixMan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Formaster

Jerry,

The Formaster is an excellent training device. It is elegance in its simplicity. Simply attach the device to your bowstring and slip it over your drawing elbow. (you do need to adjust it to fit you .) Then draw your bow aim at a target and shoot. With a compound it is not necessary to load an arrow.

The Formaster will give you instant input to the weak areas of your form. For instance if you collapsing after the shot, it will be HUGELY evident as your bow arm and draw arm follow the bow to a central location.

The Formaster also includes a very through booklet regarding it’s use, setup and how to analyze the results. I am convinced that the bulk of the price is for the booklet as you could build the device yourself for about $5.00 with some change back. The information in the booklet is well worth the $40.00 approx.

The Formaster initially was designed with a surgical rubber tube to attach to the bow. This is a good device however the attitude of every coach I have spoken to over the past couple years is the rigid version provides superior training value. It is the one ALL of my students use.

I hope this helps.

Gary

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
"attitude of every coach I have spoken to over the past couple years is the rigid version provides superior training value."

That's probably because they all have had the annoying experience of having a rubber-band Formaster break...Rubber-band Formasters are evil little devices, just as you start trusting them...sssnnaappp..

:p :p

-CG

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information.I'm about a week into reprogramming my release.So far its going really well but I credit that with having already used a pure bt release for some time.I feel that I have decent form,but any training I can do to reinforce that has to be a plus.It sounds like the rigid is the way to go,although I see they are using resistance coards instead of tubing.
I switched to a 2-special a year ago and was very happy at how accurate it was..........the problem I think was that I wasn't being suprised by the release anymore.It took a year to get me anticipating the shot and then of coarse it wasn't long and I was punching it.Inside of 2 weeks my scores went into the toilet.I'm just glad it all happened in off season.
I have a pretty solid training plan this time around that should keep me a little more humble by mixing it up and keeping with the basics.................if this is the cost to be able to shoot the way I would like to,I'll gladly pay the price.
Thanks again,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts