Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I just bought my first wall tent and I needed a way to get it to elk camp. I suppose I could use the bag idea but that's just not my style. So while unfolding and re-folding I noticed that at one point it was about the size of a table. This is when the idea hit me I could kill 2 birds with one stone I could make a crate that would serve as the camps cook station as well. So the dinner table and the tent all fit inside the crate\table along with the stakes, the tie downs and the floor tarp too. I'm not overly thrilled with the shelf connection system I'll probably update or change that at some point but for now it will do. What I really need to know is if I should paint the transformers logo on there :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is some pictures as it transforms from the table into it's crate identity. Sorry I meant to get more pictures as I was loading it but as per usual I got distracted. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well played sir. Great idea and that should make things a bit easier to transport. I think it needs the Decepticon's logo though. ;)

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
21,319 Posts

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
21,319 Posts
BTW: This is pretty dang awrezomez....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Great Idea,

From the initial picture, I though boy he's going to snap the handles off, why did he do it like that. The more I looked at it the better it got. Plus now you have a better way to store it at home.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great Idea,

From the initial picture, I though boy he's going to snap the handles off, why did he do it like that. The more I looked at it the better it got. Plus now you have a better way to store it at home.
Thanks the handles were particularly perplexing. I really wanted them on the ends of the crate but I couldn't figure out a decent way to make them so that they wouldn't interfere with the tops hinging all the way around to support the shelf. I thought about cutting the handles into the ends but I would need to cap the insides to keep out the rodents out and that would just take up to much internal space. I really spent a lot of time trying to figure a decent "handle system". I also tried several different latching systems but because the box flexes and racks a little under all the weight everything I tried kept binding. I finally decided that since I'm only opening this box at most twice a year. once to set it up and once to pull it out to dry it off then the simple rope tie down would probably work best. Between the latches and the handles this was by far the most elegant solution it tied both together so to speak :)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I like it. Good work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
R U going to leave it raw wood like that or R U planning on painting it? A wet tent may not be the best thing for an enclosed wood box?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R U going to leave it raw wood like that or R U planning on painting it? A wet tent may not be the best thing for an enclosed wood box?
I suppose painting it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's getting to be that time again where It's time to get ready to get ready for Elk camp...

So, many of you may remember I had a lot of issues with mice at camp last year. The little [email protected] walk all over your cooking area and piss on everything. Ya, it is rather disgusting so I needed to make some changes. I hear tell that mice have difficultly climbing up a steel pole so I had some more leftover steel conduit from the Tent frame and decided that the wooden legs needed to be replaced. I added a spacer to the outside brace that captured the pipe and made it stiffer and more vertical. (not sure that came out right?) Anyways I think the more vertical steel legs should help deter the mice from climbing up to the table as long as I keep it out away from the tents walls. Note I added a wood dowel to the inside of the pipe to keep the steel pipe from being crushed in the bolting process. after the legs are bolted in place they are rock solid. I'll also be adding some posts on how I added the Autobots logo to the table top.

Attachments

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
21,319 Posts
I have a table that I use to process deer, but don't want to "mess it up" with blood, etc. It has a partially-wooden top, with inlaid ceramic tiles. So, I came up with the idea of cheap white contact-paper (actually vinyl) to cover it temporarily. It makes an easily-cleanable, easily-sanitizable surface. With help, it applies in minutes. A roll is only a few dollars, and you could even leave it on this year-round, removing/adding to it as it became soiled/scraped/torn. Not so easily removable, if left long-term, however.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the suggestion!

I stole one of the wife's plastic coated table clothes and that looks like it will work great, a lot easier to clean but the little buggers climb into everything on the table: pots, pans, silverware...
If I can keep the little nutters of the table altogether that would be the preference.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts