Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used bow that came with Winners Choice strings. The string is constructed of a blue and white (clear/translucent) string material. I really like the looks of the translucent string material but can't seem to find a source where I can purchase it. I would like to use UltraCam. Does anyone know were I can purchase translucent UltraCam? I find all kinds of suppliers who can provide white material. Is this white string material the same as the translucent white that my WC string is made from?

Automan

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Howdy Joe!

The white ultracam is not what you are looking for. My G/F got some white for some of her strings and it is not actually a white. It had alot of flor. yellow in it. Can't really see it in the picture. But its in there. I believe that those winners choice strings are 8125.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I am not sure what the translucent material is. But, as SuperShark mentioned white UltraCam is not white. It is more of an antique white. The TS-1 and Xcel are white, but not UltraCam.

I really prefer Brownell products to others. Why UltraCam? It makes good cables, but for a shooting string Xcel or TS1 is better.

http://www.brownellarchery.com/color-chart.xls

This is the color chart for Brownell string materials.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,450 Posts
I'm not sure what the translucent material is either but WC uses mostly BCY 8125 (95%) and some 452x (5%) for their strings/cables.

I had some bad experiences with 100% Vectran failures so I am untrusting of materials with a high Vectran makeup. You can pull on Vectran forever and it won't break, but it weakens and fails quickly at sharp bending points. I prefer 452x over everything else and it has less % of Vectran than the Ultracam. Adding more Vectran than is needed to stabilize the material just slows the material down more than necessary and makes it less durable IMO...

The following was copied from the WC web site:

Q- What is the difference between 8125 and 452 materials? How about D-75 thin and Ultra Cam?

A- Right from the manufacturer the BCY 8125 material has more inherent movement the BCY 452. However, with our construction process we can remove almost all the movement in the 8125 material in most cases. This makes both materials very comparable in terms of stability, however some shooters, particularly in the target archery sector, feel that the 452 (which is 450+ in half sized strands) are slightly more stable. About 95% of our customers are using the 8125 material and experiencing great success. D-75 thin is a Brownell material that has basically all the same attributes as 8125. Ultra Cam Is a blended material using Dyneema and Vectran fibers ( as is 452). The major difference hear is that Ultra Cam has a higher Vectran content than 452. In Non-prestreched strings higher Vectran content can help to maintain stability, however Vectran is a more brittle material, and may be more prone to speed loss, vibration, and usually has a shorter useful life than 100% Dyneema materials like 8125 and D-75 Thin. All of these materials are excellent choices for today's compound bows. We recommend you take into account your own preference and shooting style when making your final ordering decision

·
Registered
64 Posts
Low vectran percentage

The 452x is 33% vectran but Brownell's Xcel is also 33%.Ultra Cam is a different product and should not be compared to 452x and the Ultra Cam percentage is 56%. TS Plus, D75 Thin are relativly the same as 8125. If you are going to compare than it should be apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Automan26...

I have seen what you are describing as almost a clear material. My guess is that it is either TS-1 or TS-1 + or 8125. When I first saw that "clearness" happen after I made a string (I was using TS-1) I called Brownell and they told me that with the white, when it is streched quite tight, the material takes on that clear look. I then saw the same thing happen with 8125. My guess is that the string on that bow was prestreched a lot when it was made.

My guess is that if you were to take the string off the bow and let it relax, it will turn mostly white again after a little while. Then it will become "clear" again once it is back on the bow.

Hope this helps.

·
9,450 Posts
xcel01 said:
The 452x is 33% vectran but Brownell's Xcel is also 33%.Ultra Cam is a different product and should not be compared to 452x and the Ultra Cam percentage is 56%. TS Plus, D75 Thin are relativly the same as 8125. If you are going to compare than it should be apples to apples, not apples to oranges.
Actually, the original post that started this thread was a direct question regarding the substitution of Winners Choice string material (8125) with Ultracam material. My post was in direct response to that question...

With regard to comparing 452 and Ultracam... both are Vectran blends and both are competing products. Comparing the two is quite appropriate. With regard to the 452/8125 look-a-likes... I see no connection to this thread.

·
Registered
64 Posts
452 vs Ultra Cam

EPLC said:
Actually, the original post that started this thread was a direct question regarding the substitution of Winners Choice string material (8125) with Ultracam material. My post was in direct response to that question...

With regard to comparing 452 and Ultracam... both are Vectran blends and both are competing products. Comparing the two is quite appropriate. With regard to the 452/8125 look-a-likes... I see no connection to this thread.
How can you compare 452 to Ultra Cam if the precentage is different, 452 is 33 % vectran and Ultra Cam is 56 % vectran. What I said is if you compare use 452 and Xcel they are the same vectran percentage 33%. That is apples to apples.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10xring said:
I have seen what you are describing as almost a clear material. My guess is that it is either TS-1 or TS-1 + or 8125. When I first saw that "clearness" happen after I made a string (I was using TS-1) I called Brownell and they told me that with the white, when it is streched quite tight, the material takes on that clear look. I then saw the same thing happen with 8125. My guess is that the string on that bow was prestreched a lot when it was made.

My guess is that if you were to take the string off the bow and let it relax, it will turn mostly white again after a little while. Then it will become "clear" again once it is back on the bow.

Hope this helps.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Automan

·
9,450 Posts
xcel01 said:
How can you compare 452 to Ultra Cam if the precentage is different, 452 is 33 % vectran and Ultra Cam is 56 % vectran. What I said is if you compare use 452 and Xcel they are the same vectran percentage 33%. That is apples to apples.
The original poster wanted to use Ultracam in place of 8125... I pointed out that IMO 452x would be a better choice than Ultracam. Since I believe 452x to be the best material ever produced why would I recommend anything else?

When I was a kid I watched a lot of TV... perhaps too much. Quite often the TV ads would finish with "...and don't be fooled by substitutes". It made as much sense then as it does now.

·
9,450 Posts
automan26 said:
That makes sense. Thanks.

Automan
WC doesn't use Brownell products. They make most of their strings/cables out of BCY 8125 and some out of BCY 452. The effect you are looking for may be the result of the x-coat serving that WC uses. I once used a white 2d serving material and you could see through it... It was a nice effect.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Supershark said:
The white ultracam is not what you are looking for. My G/F got some white for some of her strings and it is not actually a white. It had alot of flor. yellow in it. Can't really see it in the picture. But its in there. I believe that those winners choice strings are 8125.
SuperShark,

Yours is the best-dressed shoot string I've ever seen! Artful serving around the D-loop and, especially, the peep.

Is the peep just laying in there or do you have a few strand wraps around it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Compare apples to apples

EPLC said:
The original poster wanted to use Ultracam in place of 8125... I pointed out that IMO 452x would be a better choice than Ultracam. Since I believe 452x to be the best material ever produced why would I recommend anything else?

When I was a kid I watched a lot of TV... perhaps too much. Quite often the TV ads would finish with "...and don't be fooled by substitutes". It made as much sense then as it does now.
So, I said that Brownell's Xcel is the same percentage as 452, I am happy that you like 452, that is your choice, but as far as the best material ever made if you have only tried 8125 and 452 you really are not able to make a fair statement concerning the best material ever made, that is your opinion only.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WC stringmaterial choice

EPLC said:
WC doesn't use Brownell products. They make most of their strings/cables out of BCY 8125 and some out of BCY 452. The effect you are looking for may be the result of the x-coat serving that WC uses. I once used a white 2d serving material and you could see through it... It was a nice effect.
Maybe you should ask WC if they use Brownell's material, you might be surprised. Also, if they endorse BCY that is their choice.Many bowstring makers only use Brownell's, so what is your point?

·
9,450 Posts
xcel01 said:
Maybe you should ask WC if they use Brownell's material, you might be surprised. Also, if they endorse BCY that is their choice.Many bowstring makers only use Brownell's, so what is your point?
Perhaps you should look it up as I did... no surprise for me. They use 90% 8125 and 5% 452 according to their web site. I provided the link to this information.

My point is, and always has been, simply that 452x would be a better choice than Ultracam IMO. I also tried to address the original question concerning the "translucent" material, which isn't TS1 or TS1+ which were posted as possibilities. There is a 90% chance it is 8125 and a 5% chance it is 452. Based on my research I believe there is a 0% possibility of it being any other material.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wc Percentage

EPLC said:
Perhaps you should look it up as I did... no surprise for me. They use 90% 8125 and 5% 452 according to their web site. I provided the link to this information.

My point is, and always has been, simply that 452x would be a better choice than Ultracam IMO. I also tried to address the original question concerning the "translucent" material, which isn't TS1 or TS1+ which were posted as possibilities. There is a 90% chance it is 8125 and a 5% chance it is 452. Based on my research I believe there is a 0% possibility of it being any other material.
There are other excellent stringmakers besides WC!!!

·
9,450 Posts
xcel01 said:
There are other excellent stringmakers besides WC!!!
Yes, there are many... but I fail to see what that has to do with this thread. The "translucent" material was obviously BCY 8125, not a Brownell product although you would never know it from some of the posts here.

Here's the problem. Whenever anyone asks a question regarding strings/cables the thread gets turned into something that belongs in the manufactures section..., yet I don't see you challenging Deezlin and some others on the totally unrelated "ads" that they post?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Auto,
Wow this simple question took a wrong turn somewhere! Answer to your question is easy. There is no where that you can purchase that translucent color in an ultracam, the material used in the string just does not allow it to turn that way. I dug aroung last night through some stuff at home and found a peice of paper that had all the information scribbled on it when I purchased those strings. They are suppossed to be 8125. Obviously there is a real slim chance that you can look at them and say that is what they are. But, I would put money against it that since they were exactly what I asked for length wise and color/serving wise, that is what they are made of.
hope this helps bud,
and thanks for buying that bow from me!
Bill

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Supershark. I think I will take a look at 8125.

I, like you, am surprised to see such a simple question get turned into a flame war. I trust you when you say that my string is 8125. You should know. After all, you are the one who purchased the string in the first place. Thanks again.

Automan

·
Registered
29 Posts
X-coat Lubricant

I have a Winner's Choice string with the x-coat option. I found the Scorpion Venom Cam and Serving Lube works incredibly on this coating. The original coating became a little dull and this lubricant really helped. The cable guide area of the string really runs smooth and the stuff repels dirt and water too. JR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts