Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to put a drop away rest on my target bow. I want to know if with a trap door does it have to be manualy cocked before each shot?
And would a Trophy Taker work on a slower target bow with a big brace hight?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes, the Trap Door does have to be cocked each time.

I have had bad luck with mine. It seems to be dropping inconsistently or something like that. I will be replacing it when I find something else that handles my helical vanes on my Oneida Black Eagle.

It seems like guys swear by them - until they wear a bit or get fouled and start acting inconsistently.

Scott

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i'll stick with a Trophy Taker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hear people ***** constantly about their Trap Door Rests but there are 4 of us here that have put tens of thousands of arrows through ours with not a single failure to drop. These rests are so tough and trouble free you simply wont get better. No cables and **** to mess around with and takes minutes to set up.

I think the problem is with most people I am hearing about failures from is that they have messed with the settings on the sensitivity when they didnt need to.

Ultimately these rests have an unconditional lifetime warranty if the fail don't ***** about it on here send it back because I assure you I have witnessed close to 100,000 shots go through these rests with not one single failure so something must be wrong with a very small number of these rests or user error.

Send it back !!!!

and no I am not a staff shooter for Trap Door (I wish it would save me $90 bucks a piece!!! as I have several of them on all my bows).

·
Registered
889 Posts
beezaur

Try a whisker biscuit! I shoot a hard right helical out of mine and it works great, I never thought I'd own a biscuit but when I bought my Oneida Stealth I couldn't figure out how to get my Mirage to work with it, hence the biscuit. Works great.

Andy

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have never had a problem with my Trap Door. In fact, I like it so much, I have it on my new bow. I enjoy the rest mainly because it is not connected to anything else. After you use it for a few hundred shots you will not notice the cocking because your body does it for you without thinking. I don't know what makes it work but it never fails to work nor goes off before time UNLESS you screw with the adjustment to make it do something funny.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Works for me

I have had a trap door for about 6 months and have had no problems what so ever with it!! I sure like mind! In fact I won our State Games marked 3-d event shooting it!:)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
As stated above the Trap Door does have to be cocked each time. The older models did have some issues. They appeared to work fine, but when powder tested they were not dropping away until they made contact with the fletching on the arrow. I had one for a while and I thought it worked fine until someone asked me to powder test it and when I did, I discovered that it was not dropping away like it was supposed to and I never even touched the sensitivity adjustment screw up until that point and it didn't make a difference at all. There are 4 other people that I know of that have had the same problem with theirs. As far as the new improved "Low Recoil" models. I can't speak for them. My only concnern though would be, "when will it stop working like it supposed to?", will be on a shot when it really counts and will I instantly suspect the rest was the reason for the badly placed arrow? I like to keep it simple. With a corded drop away rest, you know it's going to drop and it's going to drop when it's supposed to. I haven't used a drop away rest for over a year now, until I got my new GKF Infiniti drop away. It's an incredible rest and there is no other rest that's as easy to adjust as this one. Adjusting the trap door was time consuming and very touchy.
With a corded drop away, you know exactly how much arrow support you're getting because you can time it to carry the arrow as far as you'd like when you initially set the rest up.
Not trying to slam the Trap Door, but I just wanted to point out some issues with the older model and also some points of interest between the two different styles of drop away rests.
I'd be interested to know if there are any Pro's at all that shoot the Trap Door. There are none that I can think of so that tells me that they don't have the confidence in that style of drop away rest.
One other thing to consider about the trap door is if you shoot in the rain or high humidity, how long is it going to take until rust starts forming on the internal parts and the rest starts acting up?
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
637 Posts
trap door rests

I have been shooting a trap door for about a year now and have had trouble with it two times. I never touched the adjustment. Each time I took it to the pro shop and this time they sent it back.
I cant take a chance because it shoots great then all of a sudden it shoots eratic. I need a rest I can depend on. I am going back to the quick tune rests. Simple and dependable.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Most , not all , like a prong rest [gkf] or lizard tounge [springy] for their target bows , Ie simple is better . If your stuck on a fallaway for your target bow I'd pick a TT myself as you can adjust the "up time" on it . The trap door drops very fast no matter what you do and that can cause problems .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts