Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there will be some differences in opinion on who makes the best case (americase,sbk,ect) But can a guy get away with using a plano and zip tying the lock holes for air plane use?
I am trying to get to Vegas and have to save every dime without worring weather or not my equipment makes it safely.
Your experiences and opinions..we know everyone has at least one....are apprecieated

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
santee,

IMO, a Plano case would not be a good choice. Not rigid enough to withstand a good beating by baggage personnel.;)

I have flown before and see first hand what damage they can do to baggage! Ugly, ugly, ugly........thank goodness there was nothing to break in the suitcase, only clothes. But if it would have been a bow case the bow would have not don't very well!! I would make the investment of a very good bow case to protect your bow so you can shoot it when it arrives.:) JMHO

I do not know what type of case to get but I am sure there are people here on AT that would suggest one.

Bowgal

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Why go to Vegas if your equipment shows up in pieces thanx to the Samsonite Gorilla?

SKB all the way.

My buddy arrived in Colorado last year with the barrel of his Weatherby sticking 4" out of an Aluminum gun case! They don't treat our stuff with kid gloves. Which is cheaper, a quality case or a new bow?

I'd prefer not to leave anything to chance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SKB all the way. I started out with a single bow case and ended up with a double bow case for all the extra stuff that you want to take with you.;)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Guess I'll take a slightly different tact on this one........

If looking to save a few bucks, I think the Plano will probably do the trick. Just make sure you do a reasonably good job of padding everything inside, including the ends where the cams sit. May want to consider carrying your arrows and quiver separately if they cause things to get a little tight in the bowcase. In other words, because the Plano is a little less rigid than some bowcases you'll probably want to make sure you don't overfill it such that blows to the side of the case will not damage anything inside. Leave a little space so the sides can flex without hurting what's inside.

Granted something like an SKB may do a better job. However, I know several that have flown with their bows, etc. in those big, soft, cloth, Vista double bowcases - including internationally - and not had problems. So, I think a Plano can probably handle the trip as well. As you noted, zip the holes and put duct tape over everything you do not want ripped up (i.e. latches, hinges, etc.). I've seen plenty flying their equipment to Vegas in cases other than SKB's, Americases, etc.

Just my opinion.............................:)

>>-------->

·
Registered
331 Posts
CHPro, you are right on the Vista working so well, however not being made any longer I wonder if the New Brownell case I saw earlier in the year as a prototype will fill their shoes soon! The soft padded cases as this seem to transmit much less shock to the equipment inside than the hard cases always do. I know, my Vista kept everything safe inside falling off the TOP of the conveyer belt of a 737 going to Vegas one year!!:eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to add to what CHPro said. If you do choose to travel with a plano case, consider packing some clothing or bath towels around the bow. Tape all the latches, use more tape than you think is necessary and then add more tape.

CHPro, are you still traveling with a double Donnite case? You and I may be the only people still doing that.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Travel Case

DC's SKB Quad rifle case with foam cut to fit everything looks like the way to go to me. He has hauled his bows all over the world in that case and it still looks to be in good shape.
For non airline trips, I am waiting to see what the new Brownell
case looks like. It is a real advantage to be able to put two bows in one small soft case when you are trying to get six people and six bows in van.

Jbird

·
Registered
644 Posts
SKB the only way for me! Matt

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Yep Byrne-z, double Donnite, a lot of duct tape and still going strong, lol! I've had to replace a few screws in the bottom of the case, had to replace the screws holding the interior support arms/hinges, bend the latches back into shape a couple times, etc., but it still holds a bow, lol :D

Seriously thinking of getting a new case one of these years though. New airline regs are getting to be a pain in the keister when traveling w/ all the duct tape. Though it is kind of funny when the security folks get done looking through everything and I had them the duct tape and point to all the places I want them to put it. Oh yeah, and the one latch that is permanently in a locked position, describing to them how they have to squeeze the end shut and pop the latch into position, etc. :D!

>>-------->

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
South West Airlines already broke my SKB double recurve case: They cracked one of the plastic "bumpers" open. I didn't notice it to complain. :(

kgk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the replies, I want very much for my equipment to make the trip, but already looking at 1500.00 for me and the wife to show up and shoot. I am trying to talk a friend into lending me his double Americase. Hope to see all of you there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts