Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm not certain, but in most larger cities will have a travel clinic associated with a hospital/healthcare system. Try a google search or search the website of a large local hospital.

These travel clinics have up-to-date information related to the country that you plan to travel to as well as the time of year and what bugs you need to get vaccinated against.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you go to your doctor or local health clinic they will pull out a book, tell them what country you are going to be in and they will look up what you need for that area. If you are going to need a hepatitus vaccination you will need to go a few months ahead of your departure so you can get your follow up shot.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I've got a buddy that just went on some mission work and he had to get a series of shots over the course of 4-6 weeks. It wasn't a big deal though other than insurance not covering them. He was also told he can't donate blood for the next 5yrs. Your doctor should know what you need. PM me if you need specifics and I'll call him.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
It depends on the region you are visiting. Here are the vaccinations recommended to me when I went to the Northern Province of South Africa and Namibia-

Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Polio Booster
Tetanus

I took some Anti-Biotics with just in case-used them after I got some tick bites. Be very cautious around any insects and the game you harvest. Check for ticks immediately-tick fever (Ricketsiosis?) is very prevelant in Africa. I also took Malarone for Malaria and had no side effects at all. Good luck and take lots of pictures!!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Just remember the Hep A vaccine is a two shot series 6-months apart. You really got to plan for these things well in advance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Also my outfitter said dont worry about maleria but I did worry. 1 the medication was very exspensive. 2 it made me have halluicnogenic dreams and sleep Very poorly. I stopped taking it. So if your outfitter/ PH says you dont need it DONT take it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Also my outfitter said dont worry about maleria but I did worry. 1 the medication was very exspensive. 2 it made me have halluicnogenic dreams and sleep Very poorly. I stopped taking it. So if your outfitter/ PH says you dont need it DONT take it.
Be very cautious here-our Outfitters said that they were in a malaria free area too. One gentleman in our party did get malaria - he quit taking his meds because nobody saw a mosquito. Ask your dr. which medications he recommends-Malarone is known to have less side effects than Larium. To each his own-but malaria is something you carry with you like luggage for the rest of your life. Peace!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts